pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 43

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#1050SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:53pm

Saw this on Saturday and loved it. Michael Xavier st the top of act two - wow. :)

But I actually have a peculiar question.  I collect magnets from every show I see (that has one). Unfortunately, Sunset Blvd. was out of magnets and I was told they're not getting any more. I checked One Shubert Alley and the store by the St. James, but no luck. Any suggestions on where to find one?

atczwriter
#1051SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:55pm

I'd be willing to sell my magnet (after I got home and realized they told me it was a keychain). PM me and let me know!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1052SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/1/17 at 11:06pm

kdogg36 said: "Saw this on Saturday and loved it. Michael Xavier st the top of act two - wow. :)

But I actually have a peculiar question.  I collect magnets from every show I see (that has one). Unfortunately, Sunset Blvd. was out of magnets and I was told they're not getting any more. I checked One Shubert Alley and the store by the St. James, but no luck. Any suggestions on where to find one?

"

Kdogg - have you checked their website/online shop?  I got my souvenier program from them before they were on sale at the theatre.

BTW - for anyone who knows - what's the difference between the Sunset Blvd. "remastered" recording?  Is there a noticeable difference from the original that it's worth purchasing?  (If my hope for a new recording doesn't materialize...  I know I'm sounding a bit like a broken record here, but seriously, why wouldn't they at least film and release this on DVD ala POTO and Les Miz?  When will ALW get another opportunity to do this for one of his favorite shows?)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1053SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 12:54am

The online shop is also out of magnets. It's a gorgeous heavyweight gold metal one. I'm glad I got one during previews. Most items are limited and the Glenn windowcards are running low as well. Those are limited edition. Check eBay for magnets. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 5/2/17 at 12:54 AM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1054SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:18am

Not even going to go there in some of the other threads... but how did Sunset not get nominated for Best Revival.  Complete BS.  Lonny Price has done something incredibly magical with this score/show - and the Tonys don't even give it the third spot?

lczvera
#1055SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:08pm

Chernjam, I'm sure we are the only two fan of this revival in this forum. I feel you completely. I literally said WTF out loud when I saw the 3rd spot is not Sunset Blvd...Nothing against Miss Saigon, but I really think this production is way better than the Tony Nomination committee gives credits for (or not).

I even can get over the fact that both Michael Xavier and Lonny Price did not get any love, but the costume design and revival??? I don't think ALW will even watch this year's Tony now.frown

Updated On: 5/2/17 at 01:08 PM

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#1056SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:13pm

BTW - for anyone who knows - what's the difference between the Sunset Blvd. "remastered" recording?  Is there a noticeable difference from the original that it's worth purchasing?  (If my hope for a new recording doesn't materialize...  I know I'm sounding a bit like a broken record here, but seriously, why wouldn't they at least film and release this on DVD ala POTO and Les Miz?  When will ALW get another opportunity to do this for one of his favorite shows?)

So there are some differences, and sadly, I don't think they are all good.  Some things that bother me are the crickets that chirp in the background for the scene outside when Joe is returning from the "Girl Meets Boy" scene continue to go on and on well after that scene is over in the background and he is back inside the house.  Also, the chimes that start during "Completion of the Script", again, go on and on well after that section is over.  Not sure if this was caused by over dubbing during the remastering process or what.

I'd stick to the original and save your money if I were you.

"

10086sunset
#1057SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:22pm

How did this not get nominated for best revival?

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#1058SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:46pm

10086sunset said: "How did this not get nominated for best revival?

"

I'll start off by saying this is, and always will be my favorite show.  It holds a very special place in my heart and I am leaping out my skin waiting for this Saturday to get here for me to finally see Glenn play this part.

I think we all tend to let our love for this show blind us to the fact that 20 plus years ago, this show was at the forefront of the theatrical news world, and entertainment news as a whole.  The firings, the lying about the box offices receipts while Glenn was gone.  There was also the fact, hate to admit it, that while I truly believe it is one of his best scores overall, the show on stage is VERY dependent on who is playing Norma.  And the show can easily fall apart when the wrong woman dons the turban...

Let us also not forget the Tony voters who were upset that they didn't eliminate the Best Score category that year, and that the show won Best Musical, when there was only 1 show up against it.  I'm not saying I agree with the discontent people have with this show and the whole 94/95 Broadway Season-but it's out there.

All that said, I am counting down the minutes till Saturday at 2 pm.  Not really one bit surprised there was no Tony love today.

babykitty_00 Profile Photo
babykitty_00
#1059SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 3:24pm

wow, you have great insights about this show...thanks! I will be in NY end of this month and would love to see this show. Do you happen to know if Glenn is out ever? or frequently? She is kinda the reason I would see it and would hate to get there only to have the understudy go on! Thx.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#1060SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 3:27pm

Glenn has not missed a performance yet, so your odds of seeing her are excellent!

Updated On: 5/3/17 at 03:27 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1061SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 4:42pm

castlestreet said: "
I'll start off by saying this is, and always will be my favorite show.  It holds a very special place in my heart and I am leaping out my skin waiting for this Saturday to get here for me to finally see Glenn play this part.

I think we all tend to let our love for this show blind us to the fact that 20 plus years ago, this show was at the forefront of the theatrical news world, and entertainment news as a whole.  The firings, the lying about the box offices receipts while Glenn was gone.  There was also the fact, hate to admit it, that while I truly believe it is one of his best scores overall, the show on stage is VERY dependent on who is playing Norma.  And the show can easily fall apart when the wrong woman dons the turban...

Let us also not forget the Tony voters who were upset that they didn't eliminate the Best Score category that year, and that the show won Best Musical, when there was only 1 show up against it.  I'm not saying I agree with the discontent people have with this show and the whole 94/95 Broadway Season-but it's out there.

All that said, I am counting down the minutes till Saturday at 2 pm.  Not really one bit surprised there was no Tony love today.

"

I think castlestreet hit the nail on the head.  Which unfortunately hits a second point - the pettiness and politics of the Awards rather than on merit (I mean, the fact that they ignored Sunset and eliminated a 4th spot - smacks of a deliberate slight rather than "so many contenders/so few spots" (especially considering how lukewarm they were to Miss Saigon in comparison to the reviews Sunset received)  

And you're completely correct about the hostility in 94/95... Sunset opened with the largest ever advance of $37.5 million which was only broken recently by Dolly (with some tickets going for almost double what Sunset charged back in the day) - with all the bruised egos, anger. animosity surrounding it, Sunset had an invincibility that scared some other productions from even wanting to open that year.  They basically conceded the awards that year to Sunset - even allowing the telecast to be from the Minskoff Theatre where the set was able to be utilized both of Normas mansion and from Paramount for Close's As If We Never Said Goodbye.

Its sad that Close can't be eligible for best actress since she won in 1995 for the same role, but hostility from 23 years ago could still factor into obvious omissions this year.

That being said - I look forward to seeing how Close and company will respond.  I don't expect anything nasty or petty - they're too classy for it.  But they will rally to make sure this production ends on June 25th with it's head held high - slight or not...

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#1062SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 5:30pm

I'll be seeing it this Sat as well! Can't wait.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1064SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/2/17 at 11:43pm

I don't get why they nominated Falsettos which is not even open anymore instead of Sunset...oh well. Speaking of a good show that closed that also should have been nominated, Holiday Inn!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1065SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 12:35pm

A Director said: "I 'm growing quite weary of the Sunset fanboys going on and on about this show."

Then why are you reading this thread?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1066SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 1:23pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Saw the revival again tonight. I'm a huge Sunset fan but will admit that it's not the best book or score."

I was there on the same Saturday night. What's wrong with the book and score?

Bettyboy72 said: "Brittany Coleman was on as Betty. Great to see her and she did a nice job. She's soooo tiny next to Xavier though. Great to see an African American Betty."

I was surprised to see that Siobhan wasn't on, and it also took me a bit by surprise to see that Ms. Coleman is black. She has a lovely voice and I thought she did a nice job.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1067SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 1:24pm

lczvera said: "Chernjam, I'm sure we are the only two fan of this revival in this forum."

Hardly. I saw it twice (on back-to-back nights) in March, then again this past Saturday night, and will probably go again when I come up near the end of May.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1068SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 1:31pm

lczvera said: "Chernjam, I'm sure we are the only two fan of this revival in this forum. I feel you completely. I literally said WTF out loud when I saw the 3rd spot is not Sunset Blvd...Nothing against Miss Saigon, but I really think this production is way better than the Tony Nomination committee gives credits for (or not).

I even can get over the fact that both Michael Xavier and Lonny Price did not get any love, but the costume design and revival??? I don't think ALW will even watch this year's Tony now."

I know we have more than just the two of us lczvera :)  I just don't see a lot of other shows like other members of the forum, so I'm more vocal about the ones that I really love and don't go off on everything else I've ever seen (whether I liked it or not)

I wasn't so shocked about the costume design award as a lot of that was from the original.  But Best Revival, Xavier, Price... they were robbed

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#1069SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 1:36pm

muscle23ftl said: "I don't get why they nominated Falsettos which is not even open anymore instead of Sunset."

Often, Tony nominators prefer shows that are closed to those still running.
As well they should in many cases.

"

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1070SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 1:42pm

chernjam said: "

SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?

"

I love this, haha!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

carnzee
#1071SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 2:22pm

muscle23ftl said: "I don't get why they nominated Falsettos which is not even open anymore instead of Sunset...oh well. Speaking of a good show that closed that also should have been nominated, Holiday Inn!

Because Tony nominators much preferred Falsettos over Sunset, obviously.

How can you argue that a closed show (Falsettos) shouldn't be nominated because it's closed, and in the very next breath say Holiday Inn should have been nominated even though it did close? 

Anyway, Sunset doesn't need validation from the Tony Awards. It has been in the million dollar club every week they did 7 shows. That is all the validation it needs ,because the public votes with its pocket book. 

babykitty_00 Profile Photo
babykitty_00
#1072SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 7:56pm

WithoutATrace said: "Glenn has not missed a performance yet, so your odds of seeing her are excellent!

"

Well that's encouraging...thanks!!!

A Director
#1073SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 10:58pm

If here had been a fourth nomination for Best Revival, it could have gone to CATS!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1074SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 11:16pm

Was Glenn out last night or tonight? I friend told me she was sick? 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos