News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 46

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1125SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/14/17 at 11:53pm

Flowerlovesstage - Thanks for that thorough review.  So glad you got to get there today to experience this.  And to me, it helps prove the strength of this piece.  Yes Glenn is a major draw - but it is a phenomenal show and score...

BTW - did they offer people to see the show and come back for Glenn? Or was it simply see the show or get a refund?

Speed
#1126SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 12:39am

These last minute visits to and reviews of Nancy's performance are what's great about this board.

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#1127SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 7:12am

chernjam said: "BTW - did they offer people to see the show and come back for Glenn? Or was it simply see the show or get a refund?"

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. When they made the announcement, all they said was that Glenn would not be performing and Nancy Anderson would be going on. Nothing else. This was amongst the crowd prior to opening, I only heard one woman ask for her money back. She was then directed to the BO. I was standing at the end of sidewalk, center, infront of the outside doors. When word traveled down the line, I did not hear as much of a stir as I had expected. There really wasn't a commotion. Several people said they wanted to see Glenn, but, oh well....

That said, I'm sure there were others once they received the insert. The audience waited, then cheered for Nancy after "With One Look" and it was a great moment. 

Updated On: 5/15/17 at 07:12 AM

Flowerlovestage5
#1128SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 7:13am

Speed said: "These last minute visits to and reviews of Nancy's performance are what's great about this board.

Wow, guys. I don't post often, I'm glad I did. Cheers!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1129SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 8:49am

Flowerlovestage5 said: "Despite the obvious flaws, I really do enjoy this musical"

What are "the obvious flaws"?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Flowerlovestage5
#1130SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 9:10am

Lot666 said: "What are "the obvious flaws"?

I suppose what I was insinuating by that remark is what I feel with many if not musicals. Often there are plot points that come together rather quickly. My example for this would be the relationship between Betty and Joe. I see the attraction and the push and pull...then Too Much In Love To Care comes about...but both actors do a fine job. 

I feel the entire musical adaptation of this piece, based on the original film is top notch. Both book and lyrics feel complete to me, all fit together like a puzzle. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1131SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 9:32am

Flowerlovestage5 said: "chernjam said: "BTW - did they offer people to see the show and come back for Glenn? Or was it simply see the show or get a refund?"

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. When they made the announcement, all they said was that Glenn would not be performing and Nancy Anderson would be going on. Nothing else. This was amongst the crowd prior to opening, I only heard one woman ask for her money back. She was then directed to the BO. I was standing at the end of sidewalk, center, infront of the outside doors. When word traveled down the line, I did not hear as much of a stir as I had expected. There really wasn't a commotion. Several people said they wanted to see Glenn, but, oh well....

That said, I'm sure there were others once they received the insert. The audience waited, then cheered for Nancy after "With One Look" and it was a great moment. 

"

Sounds like what happened when Karen Mason had taken over for Glenn Close 23 yeas ago (not during the 2 week vacation, but for an illness) - although people were much, much more hostile about Close not being in the show.  By the end of "With One Look" though, Mason had won over the audience. 

Will be interesting to see what effect this had on this past weeks box office receipts when they come out this afternoon

lczvera
#1132SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 10:57am

chernjam said: "lczvera - did they offer people to see the show and come back for Glenn? Or was it simply see the show or get a refund?"

I'm not sure- I did not stay around after grabbing my tickets. Since the tickets selling is kind of slow recently, I bet they offer exchanges.

However, the mezz is pretty full, maybe only around a dozen empty seats in the last two rows. The orch is 90% full, which seems normal compared to my last two visits.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#1133SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 11:36am

Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Well at least Patti doesn't hate Glen anymore (can't say the same for ALW)

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live-with-andy-cohen/season-14/episode-84/videos/patti-lupone-on-glenn-close
"

"I don't have a lot of show business friends."

I'm not surprised. The woman has an undeniable vocal talent, but she always comes across to me as egomaniacal, uncouth, and sometimes even unprofessional. She must be a real pill to work with.

"

Exactly. I know a lot of people love Patti's schtick, but in WWHL, she came across very petty and rude. We get it, you hate Madonna because you were mad you weren't cast in Evita, you hate the Les Miz adaption because, again, you didn't have a part in it, you hate ALW, although every time you do a concert, you perform various numbers from his shows. Blah blah, get over yourself.

carnzee
#1134SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 11:49am

She didn't even want to be in the Evita movie, feeling that she was too old. If someone treated me the way ALW treated her, I'd be mad too. She performs his songs because her fans want that. And thank God we have a theater star who says what she thinks, instead of being sugar and spice and everything nice. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1135SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 11:56am

I know someone who worked with Patti and got home crying every night, he never wants to work with her ever again and he used to be a fan before working with her. 

Anyways, too bad I missed Nancy Anderson as Norma!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#1136SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 12:30pm

10086sunset said: "I still think ALW made the right call.

Nothing personal against Miss LuPone, Glenn was the better fit.

"

I'm guessing you didn't see Patti LuPone do Norma.  She was phenomenal.  I saw Glenn Close in this revival...not so much.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#1137SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 3:44pm

Babe_Williams said: "Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Well at least Patti doesn't hate Glen anymore (can't say the same for ALW)
"

Exactly. I know a lot of people love Patti's schtick, but in WWHL, she came across very petty and rude. We get it, you hate Madonna because you were mad you weren't cast in Evita, you hate the Les Miz adaption because, again, you didn't have a part in it, you hate ALW, although every time you do a concert, you perform various numbers from his shows. Blah blah, get over yourself.

"

She told the dead truth about Madonna:  She's a pop star who has no business on the stage or in film.  Patti didn't want the movie...  She's said so multiple times in interviews.  

What Madonna does (or did) is fine.  She sings breathy pop music and attempts to scandalize people into thinking she's far younger than she is.  Good for her.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#1138SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 4:23pm

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Babe_Williams said: "Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Well at least Patti doesn't hate Glen anymore (can't say the same for ALW)
"

"

She told the dead truth about Madonna:  She's a pop star who has no business on the stage or in film.  Patti didn't want the movie...  She's said so multiple times in interviews.  

What Madonna does (or did) is fine.  She sings breathy pop music and attempts to scandalize people into thinking she's far younger than she is.  Good for her.

"

The movie made a ton of movie and frankly. Madonna's portrayl of Evita was no worse than any other non stage star's portrayl in other musical theater based movies. And I totally call bull**** on Patti saying she didn't want the role. Please. Than why does she give a ****?

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#1139SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 4:30pm

Babe_Williams said:
"

The movie made a ton of movie and frankly. Madonna's portrayl of Evita was no worse than any other non stage star's portrayl in other musical theater based movies. And I totally call bull**** on Patti saying she didn't want the role. Please. Than why does she give a ****?

"

Wow. A thoughtful, metered response.

10086sunset
#1140SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 4:34pm

BuddyStarr said: "10086sunset said: "I still think ALW made the right call.

Nothing personal against Miss LuPone, Glenn was the better fit.
"

I'm guessing you didn't see Patti LuPone do Norma.  She was phenomenal.  I saw Glenn Close in this revival...not so much.
"

I've seen them all.

Have always thought LuPone's performance was not equal to Close.  Her portrayal of the character didn't feel right. While we can agree who has the superior vocals, there's more to a role than singing. The acting between the two was never close. ALW thought the same, otherwise Patti wouldn't have that pool she loves to mention.

carnzee
#1141SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 4:50pm

Babe_Williams said: "BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Babe_Williams said: "Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Well at least Patti doesn't hate Glen anymore (can't say the same for ALW)
"

"

"

If you are calling Patti a liar, so be it. All I can do is report what the woman has said about not wanting it because she was too old by that point. 

"No worse than "? What a ringing endorsement. Many people who aren't Patti Lupone have complained about Madonnas acting. 

While we're on the subject, I just remembered ALW himself floated the idea of Madonna as Norma in a Sunset Blvd movie. Yikes. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1142SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 5:12pm

For what it's worth, Madonna did win a Golden Globe for EVITA, so her performance wasn't poorly received at all. Generally speaking, I think she's a terrible actress, but EVITA isn't a film I would use as an example of this. For once, she found a role that suited her.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1143SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 5:17pm

CT2NYC said: "For what it's worth, Madonna did win a Golden Globe for EVITA, so her performance wasn't poorly received at all. Generally speaking, I think she's a terrible actress, but EVITA isn't a film I would use as an example of this. For once, she found a role that suited her.

"

So did Pia Zadora.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1144SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 5:23pm

DAME said: "CT2NYC said: "For what it's worth, Madonna did win a Golden Globe for EVITA, so her performance wasn't poorly received at all. Generally speaking, I think she's a terrible actress, but EVITA isn't a film I would use as an example of this. For once, she found a role that suited her.

"

So did Pia Zadora.  

Touché, DAME. 

carnzee
#1145SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/15/17 at 5:39pm

DAME said: "
"

So did Pia Zadora.  

Ha! Beat me to it!

I have a question for the Sunset super fans: Does anyone know how many performances of Norma Glenn will have played after this run is over? 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1146SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 1:22am

The cast of Will and Grace singing a song from Sunset!!! 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

10086Sundays
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1148SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 9:49am

10086Sundays said: "Link to Will & Grace/Sunset video for those that haven't seen it."

Isn't this just delicious? I grinned from ear to ear.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1149SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 9:54am

10086sunset said: "Have always thought LuPone's performance was not equal to Close.  Her portrayal of the character didn't feel right. While we can agree who has the superior vocals, there's more to a role than singing. The acting between the two was never close. ALW thought the same, otherwise Patti wouldn't have that pool she loves to mention."

I must concur, with the caveat that I did not see Ms. LuPone peform the role; I've only listened to the original London cast recording. She clearly beats Ms. Close with sheer vocal power, but her overall performance feels inconsistent with the character to me. Her spoken dialogue bits on the CD don't sound like Norma; they sound like Patti. Which is interesting, because I've heard many say that the reason "Madonna can't act" is because "Madonna always plays Madonna", no matter the part. I guess I felt the same way seeing War Paint - that this was Patti LuPone, not Helena Rubenstein.

Updated On: 5/16/17 at 09:54 AM

Videos