News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 47

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#1150SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 11:35am

10086sunset said: "BuddyStarr said: "10086sunset said: "I still think ALW made the right call.

Nothing personal against Miss LuPone, Glenn was the better fit.
"

I'm guessing you didn't see Patti LuPone do Norma.  She was phenomenal.  I saw Glenn Close in this revival...not so much.
"

I've seen them all.

Have always thought LuPone's performance was not equal to Close.  Her portrayal of the character didn't feel right. While we can agree who has the superior vocals, there's more to a role than singing. The acting between the two was never close. ALW thought the same, otherwise Patti wouldn't have that pool she loves to mention."

Of course Patti was also directed to play Norma the way she played it.  You can't blame the actress for the director's vision.  I saw Glenn in the recent revival because of her supposedly "high acting" skills and was very underwhelmed.  Her vocals were even worse than I expected.  I would have liked to have seen Dihann Caroll play Norma because I do like her on the Canadian Cast recording (Rex Smith not so much).  Elaine Paige was also a "Meh", don't really recall her performance but do remember that she was lost on the stage.

#1151SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 2:23pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I'd have killed to see Nancy. However I feel terrible for all those folks who planned seeing Glenn as a Mothers Day gift. "

I just joined this forum (after stalking for many months!) just so that I could speak about my experience.

Sunset is my favorite movie of all time, and I discovered the original cast recording a few years ago. I fell in love with the score and love how close it is to the movie. Back in October, someone I followed on Instagram posted about the revival, and I freaked out. I buy tickets for my mom and I to see a show on every Mother's Day weekend, and give them to her as a Christmas present. She had never seen the movie or the play, but she was so excited to see Glenn. Meanwhile, I've had a countdown on my phone until the big day, we watched the movie together a few weeks ago, and I've been listening to the original recording all the time. I've read just about every review I could find of the show, including reviews here! I simply couldn't wait.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon: it's 2PM, and we go to the Palace to see when doors are going to open. There's an angry looking couple at the box office window and they're taking a long time. Finally, we overhear "because Glenn is sick today." I started feeling lightheaded. I couldn't believe this was happening. We had traveled from Boston just for her, and the people next to us had traveled from London! No one from the theater was making any kind of announcement, so my mom (who is a chatterbox) just started spreading the word herself. People's jaws dropped, and a lot of them didn't believe her, until a young guy came out with a megaphone and made the official announcement. We were told that we could ask for a refund at point of purchase, or stay for the show. We decided to stay, and I'm SO glad we did. 

I can't say enough wonderful things about Nancy Anderson's performance. I was so worried for her, my heart was beating out of my chest and my palms were sweaty when she started to sing. She knocked "With One Look" out of the park and got loud cheers and applause for a solid two minutes. "As If We Never Said Goodbye" brought my mom and I to tears; the lyrics "watch me fly, we all know I can do it" were just too relevant. The whole show, especially the orchestra, just took my breath away.

Afterwards, we met Fred outside of the stage door, and he was very nice. A group of us waited for Nancy. She was so surprised and thrilled to meet us, and my mom told her that she saved her Mother's Day! Nancy took a photo with me and autographed my playbook (next to Glenn's face, ha). Mom has still not stopped talking about how amazing Nancy was. It really was a magical performance, and I'm so happy that she got a chance to shine.

I'm now considering taking a day trip back to New York by myself to (try to) see Glenn, because I've already waited this long and the show will be done soon. I hope I can make it happen!

10086sunset
#1152SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 3:03pm

BuddyStarr said: "Of course Patti was also directed to play Norma the way she played it.  You can't blame the actress for the director's vision.  I saw Glenn in the recent revival because of her supposedly "high acting" skills and was very underwhelmed.  Her vocals were even worse than I expected.  I would have liked to have seen Dihann Caroll play Norma because I do like her on the Canadian Cast recording (Rex Smith not so much).  Elaine Paige was also a "Meh", don't really recall her performance but do remember that she was lost on the stage.

I don't blame the actor for the director's vision. The same director directed Patti and Glenn, hence why I don't completely believe it was just a case of Miss LuPone not fitting the director's vision. I tend to fully agree with something Lot666 mentioned earlier, that on the vocal parts of the London recording, Patti sounds like Patti and not like the Norma Desmond character. 

At the time, a bunch of reviews said Ms. LuPone seemed young and invulnerable for the part. I don't know about the young comment but I agree with the view she was invulnerable. 

I'm sorry you were underwhelmed with Close in the recent revival. I was underwhelmed with Miss LuPone when she played the role. At the end of the day, perhaps it's simply a matter of preference. 

Carroll was very good as Norma. Happen to feel the same way about Paige. She may not have looked the part physically but her acting and singing certainly justified her casting. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1153SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 4:13pm

agirlnamedlucky said: "...We decided to stay, and I'm SO glad we did. 

I can't say enough wonderful things about Nancy Anderson's performance. I was so worried for her, my heart was beating out of my chest and my palms were sweaty when she started to sing. She knocked "With One Look" out of the park and got loud cheers and applause for a solid two minutes. "As If We Never Said Goodbye" brought my mom and I to tears; the lyrics "watch me fly, we all know I can do it" were just too relevant. The whole show, especially the orchestra, just took my breath away.

Afterwards, we met Fred outside of the stage door, and he was very nice. A group of us waited for Nancy. She was so surprised and thrilled to meet us, and my mom told her that she saved her Mother's Day! Nancy took a photo with me and autographed my playbook (next to Glenn's face, ha). Mom has still not stopped talking about how amazing Nancy was. It really was a magical performance, and I'm so happy that she got a chance to shine.

I'm now considering taking a day trip back to New York by myself to (try to) see Glenn, because I've already waited this long and the show will be done soon. I hope I can make it happen!

"

Agirlnamedlucky - thanks so much for sharing your experience. I had good friends who went Saturday night and had been hearing thursday and friday how there had been the announcement before the show that Glenn was sick and still going on with the show - and was crossing my fingers for people going on Mothers Day - imagining how I'd feel had I taken Mom for that to find she was sick (btw - thats why I had gotten us tickets for the previews figuring she's be at optimum then :) )

Anyway -I'm happy to hear that you had a great experience with Nancy Anderson as Norma. I would have gone to see her just to compare (and imagining that she had to have a set of lungs on her in order to woo over a disappointed crowd by something else)

I hope you do get to come back to see Glenn in it before it closes. She really does inhabit the role in away I've never seen in any other show/role/performer. (Having seen Sunset at least 12 times with every Broadway Norma)

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1154SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 4:16pm

10086sunset said: "
I don't blame the actor for the director's vision. The same director directed Patti and Glenn, hence why I don't completely believe it was just a case of Miss LuPone not fitting the director's vision. I tend to fully agree with something Lot666 mentioned earlier, that on the vocal parts of the London recording, Patti sounds like Patti and not like the Norma Desmond character. 

At the time, a bunch of reviews said Ms. LuPone seemed young and invulnerable for the part. I don't know about the young comment but I agree with the view she was invulnerable. 

I'm sorry you were underwhelmed with Close in the recent revival. I was underwhelmed with Miss LuPone when she played the role. At the end of the day, perhaps it's simply a matter of preference. 

Carroll was very good as Norma. Happen to feel the same way about Paige. She may not have looked the part physically but her acting and singing certainly justified her casting. 

"

Well I guess the adage different strokes for different folks... Find Carrol's recording unlistenable and as for Paige - I kind of blame the closing of Sunset in NY on her.  Found myself agreeing with whoever the reviewer it was that called her "cartoonish" - and comparatively speaking thought Buckley sang it (and acted it) much better then the so-called "First Lady of Musical Theatre (UK)" 

As for Patti... what else is there to say...

carnzee
#1155SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 4:46pm

chernjam said: "

That Miss Lupone is Queen and we are just lucky to live in her universe. 

Lol. Chernjam, do you know how many performances Glenn gave in the original Broadway run?  Trying to tally how many performances she will have done total of Norma once this revival raps up.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1156SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 5:22pm

Last night, in Norwalk, CT, Betty Buckley took part in a show with 7 other Broadway musical theatre performers. I didn't get a ticket because I'm already going to see her solo show at the same venue on June 3. Apparently, she sang "As If We Never Said Goodbye," and I'm kicking myself for not going. Her solo show is in support of her new album, Story Songs, so I have a feeling she won't be singing it again, but I'm still daring to hope.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1157SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/16/17 at 11:11pm

carnzee said: "chernjam said: "

That Miss Lupone is Queen and we are just lucky to live in her universe. 

Lol. Chernjam, do you know how many performances Glenn gave in the original Broadway run?  Trying to tally how many performances she will have done total of Norma once this revival raps up.

"

A - Brilliant comment re: LuPone that she probably would agree with

B - how many performances in the Original - well, I know they started previews Nov 1, 1994 (and there was 17 previews).  She was in it till June 25, 1995 (Buckley started on July 4 in 1995 and I think there was a week with Karen Mason on again) - and there was the 2 weeks that she was off for vacation.  Not sure if she was sick  at all during the Broadway run.  But don't forget, you have to add the LA run in that number too.  I'd have to look up the dates for that.  I think it started December 3, 1993 and ran till the end of June.

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#1158SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 1:04am

To all those interested in seeing/hearing Nancy Anderson as Norma..... you're welcome. SUNSET BOULEVARD Hoping there's a clip of her With One Look out there as well!

https://www.facebook.com/divarobbie/posts/10158610585025621

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1159SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 2:26am

Thanks for sharing - that was phenomenal

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1160SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 2:57am

Thanks so much for posting, with that said. Glenn owns this role. I got to see Betty, I heard Patti's recording, watched Elaine doing it and they were all not my cup of tea. I think Glenn is the best, followed by Debra Byrne perhaps. Nancy is a great actress and singer, but all wrong for Norma Desmond.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#1161SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 3:33am

broadwayboy222 said: "To all those interested in seeing/hearing Nancy Anderson as Norma..... you're welcome. SUNSET BOULEVARD Hoping there's a clip of her With One Look out there as well!

OMG thank you.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1162SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 7:55am

agirlnamedlucky said: "I just joined this forum (after stalking for many months!) just so that I could speak about my experience..."

I felt so terrible for you at the beginning of your post, but then was delighted to learn that your experience turned out so wonderfully in the end. I'm glad that Ms. Anderson delivered such a great performance and you enjoyed yourselves.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1163SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:03am

10086sunset said: "I don't blame the actor for the director's vision. The same director directed Patti and Glenn, hence why I don't completely believe it was just a case of Miss LuPone not fitting the director's vision. I tend to fully agree with something Lot666 mentioned earlier, that on the vocal parts of the London recording, Patti sounds like Patti and not like the Norma Desmond character. 

"

Listening to the London CD, that was definitely a big part of the problem for me - Ms. LuPone seems to always come across as a tough woman (regardless of the role she's supposed to be playing) and I found it hard to believe that her Norma could become fragile enough in the end to crack up over Joe's leaving.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1164SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:06am

CT2NYC said: "Last night, in Norwalk, CT, Betty Buckley took part in a show with 7 other Broadway musical theatre performers. I didn't get a ticket because I'm already going to see her solo show at the same venue on June 3. Apparently, she sang "As If We Never Said Goodbye," and I'm kicking myself for not going. Her solo show is in support of her new album, Story Songs, so I have a feeling she won't be singing it again, but I'm still daring to hope."

I was wondering about this. Telly Leung posted something on social media a day or two ago about Ms. Buckley doing a wonderful rendition of "As If We Never Said Goodbye", but it wasn't clear where this took place. Of course, my wishful thinking immediately hoped it was some hint that the show was going to extend with her.sad

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#1165SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:07am

agirlnamedlucky: Happy you had such a great experince. Not sure if you saw my review/thoughts on pg. 45 as I was as over the moon as you were!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#1166SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:12am

muscle23ftl said: "Thanks so much for posting, with that said. Glenn owns this role. I got to see Betty, I heard Patti's recording, watched Elaine doing it and they were all not my cup of tea. I think Glenn is the best, followed by Debra Byrne perhaps. Nancy is a great actress and singer, but all wrong for Norma Desmond.

"

Muscle did you see Ms Byrne do the show, she was a mess and not in a good way, her understudy Maria Mercedes on the other hand was outstanding and should have been cast in the first place. Her acting and singing was out of this world, pity it was never recordered 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1167SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:22am

broadwayboy222 said: "To all those interested in seeing/hearing Nancy Anderson as Norma..... you're welcome. SUNSET BOULEVARD Hoping there's a clip of her With One Look out there as well!

"

There's something mildly abrasive about the texture of Ms. Anderson's singing voice that doesn't set well to my ears. That said, I have enormous respect for people like her who can step into such a role with virtually no opportunity for acclimation and deliver a strong, confident performance under the psychological weight of knowing that much of the audience was disappointed to learn that she would be on. I can only imagine the fortitude and personal strength required to do this, and I applaud her for it. Having already seen Ms. Close perform the role three times, I would have kept my ticket in this situation and I believe I would've been happy to experience Ms. Anderson's take on Norma.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1168SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 11:26am

I agree with what Lot666 says...and no, I have never been to Australia, never saw either live.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#1169SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 6:49pm

Interesting to see the new Sunset display at Bloomingdale's is advertising that the show is nominated for two Tony awards including Best Revival.... Now unless I've truly missed the information, this is obviously false as the production was not Tony nominated at all..... Hope this gets fixed. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1170SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/17/17 at 6:54pm

broadwayboy222 said: "Interesting to see the new Sunset display at Bloomingdale's is advertising that the show is nominated for two Tony awards including Best Revival.... Now unless I've truly missed the information, this is obviously false as the production was not Tony nominated at all..... Hope this gets fixed. 

"

I noticed the same thing this morning and wondered if they had planned/prepped the windows way back when thinking that it was sure to get that nomination.  Which it certainly deserved

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#1171SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/18/17 at 2:44am

No one sings these songs like Buckley.  She makes them edge-of-your-seat exciting.  As much as I love other performers who have done this role, not one comes close to this vocal.

https://youtu.be/_c5Xovcjp00?t=7m42s

Updated On: 5/18/17 at 02:44 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1172SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/18/17 at 2:55am

Agreed. And Glenn would be among the furtherst away vocally. Still, I wonder how close (no pun intended) others come to her acting. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1173SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/18/17 at 9:41am

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "No one sings these songs like Buckley.  She makes them edge-of-your-seat exciting.  As much as I love other performers who have done this role, not one comes close to this vocal.

https://youtu.be/_c5Xovcjp00?t=7m42s
"

Ms. Buckley's interpretation is certainly quite different from that of Ms. Close. She's far more subtle, with a quiet confidence. I so wish they'd extend this run by a few weeks and let her do it again. sad

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1174SUNSET BOULEVARD
Posted: 5/18/17 at 9:58am

qolbinau said: "Agreed. And Glenn would be among the furtherst away vocally. Still, I wonder how close (no pun intended) others come to her acting. 

"

honestly - Buckley is a vocal powerhouse and I loved seeing her in the role twice (as well as Karen Mason, who even though she was young for the role, hit those high notes with such ease it was a thrill to hear the score sound like that).  But it's an amazingly unique actress who can take an average voice and utilize it and the source material so masterfully that no you don't feel shortchanged but rather that you're witnessing something amazingly special and reminds you what makes Theatre - Theatre.

Had two friends who went to see Sunset Saturday night.  Had never seen the movie, knew nothing of the score or anything - simply went on my recommendation.  Mind you this was the Eve of her missing Sunday, so she had made the pre-show announcement appologizing in advance.  In any event, they came out raving about it, saying how they were simply blown away by the music, and her riveting performance.

Going back this weekend with another friend to see Sunset for the third time and am hoping at least once more before June 25th.  If there is an extension with a new Norma, I will be sure to be back...

Videos