Once on Broadway

michellek45
#100Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/2/12 at 11:25am

It was pretty crowded, maybe 40 people or so trying to get 20 tickets. I'm going to try again tonight.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#101Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/2/12 at 11:59am

I am really looking forward to seeing this on my trip, i adore the film.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

massofmen
#102Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/2/12 at 1:30pm

i find it hard to root for a character who doesn't care.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#103Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:09am

(Since I apparently didn't make it clear enough, there is a SPOILER in the second paragraph so skip over it if you don't want to know.)
I saw this on Thursday night and it's still on my mind. I love the movie, and I wanted to see the show at NYTW but I never got around to it. It was WELL worth the wait. I seriously couldn't think of any flaw about this show. The cast is all so insanely talented. The staging is GORGEOUS. (SPOILER AHEAD!!!)

One of my favorite moments of staging in the whole show is in the second act when Guy and Girl are on the beach and he asks if she still loves her husband and she responds "I love you" in Czech with the subtitles underneath them.

(No more spoilers, I promise!)

I really hope this show does well.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 3/5/12 at 11:09 AM

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#104Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:20am

Looking forward to seeing this.
Can anyone help with seating?
Seems like I can get Row A 1-5 (Left on aisle) Row L (1-5) or Row M (Center). Is Row A too close?

I can't recall being in this theatre. Thanks

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#105Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:23am

Are lottery seats front row?

dancingthrulife04
#106Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:38am

The first six seats are in the front row, the rest are scattered side orchestra and mezzanine. I was the first name called Thursday night. The front row is VERY close. To answer your question, Steve2, the front row on the side is set a little further back because of the steps to get on the stage. I don't think you'd be too close but you might be a little obstructed.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#107Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 6:02pm

I’m seeing the show next sunday, is there any merchandise available?

dancingthrulife04
#108Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:07pm

There are a couple of t-shirts, a scarf, a button set, magnets, and the cast recording is available for pre-order for $28.

willep
#109Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:16pm

You can see the merchandise on the show's website. At least, I assume it is the same merchandise.

musicman_bwayfan
#110Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:32pm

Any posters yet?

Copperfield2
#111Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:53pm

dancingthrulife -- I wish you wouldn't have revealed the spoiler.

willep
#112Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/4/12 at 3:44am

I mean, it's not like dancingthrulife didn't warn you...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#113Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/4/12 at 8:44am

The SPOILER alert should be up top and not hidden in the body of the message.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#114Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/4/12 at 3:23pm

I can honestly say that I haven't been as excited to see a show as much as I am to see this on Tuesday. Just reading what people have posted has given me chills!

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#115Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/4/12 at 5:00pm

I've been trying to find the right words to describe my feelings about the show. Maybe what moved me the most was the quiet dignity of it all. Many musicals are big, loud and brassy, you kinda' have to hold onto your wig during the show, but ONCE has this understated elegance about It, this personal, intimate feeling that keeps pulling you in, but then again, isn't that what true love, which may only come along 'once' is all about?

The two leads are superb, then again the entire cast is remarkable. The sets, costumes and lights are perfect and I love that from the moment you walk into the theatre, you know there's something special happening inside the house and fortunately, everyone becomes a part of it. It's the complete package on the Jacobs stage.

At intermission, we stood to take it all in and the man behind me was talking animatedly about the show and smacked me in the head with one of his hands. Of course, he apologized profusely and then I realized it was PAUL SIMON, one of my heros and one of the greatest poets writing music today, so I'll never forget the incredible night I saw ONCE and got assaulted by a songwriting legend!

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

willep
#116Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/4/12 at 9:27pm

Steve Kazee has started a backstage video blog for Broadway.com:

Guitar Hero

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#117Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/5/12 at 11:20am

Kazee was sadly out of the show on Sunday. J. Michael Zygo was on as "Guy", and gave a really nice performance. From the response the other actors gave him at curtain call, it seems like this was his first time playing the role, but he seemed very well rehearsed. Great voice, excellent musician. The modesty of his stature and performance really worked well for the character. Milioti was brilliant. Beautiful show all around, great response from a pretty packed house. Hope it runs a long time.

willep
#118Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/5/12 at 12:29pm

I can't wait for the cast recording to come out next week, but I'm not going to lie, I wish the track listing looked more like this:

Song List

SayitSomehow
#119Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/5/12 at 6:17pm

Saw this Friday night and adored it - as did my girl who's not a huge theater fan like I am!

Kazee can't touch Glen Hansard in the raw/emotional vocal department, but he's solid and Miloti is a little boiling ball of energy. She absolutely kills on her delivery and comedic timing - unbelievable performance. I'd like to see her get the Tony or at least have a damned good shot.

Anyway, it can be called sleepy or slow, but that's the way this story is. It's a precious little rock bottom moment, with tender & tense emotions that seep out through gorgeous music and understated execution.

Stellar! Go see it!

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#120Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/5/12 at 9:13pm

I saw the show again on Saturday night. I had previously seen it at the first preview Off-Broadway, and somehow this topped it. I won the lotto and was front-row center, so I really couldn't have asked for a better seat.

If you want to restore your faith in theatre, go see Once on Broadway. It is one of the most touching, heartwarming, and real pieces that I've ever seen. I saw it again last night and was blown away even more than the first time. I've never had such a strong connection to a work of art, and I know that this is going to be a smash hit. I've been waiting for this show for six years since I saw the movie. I've been a huge fan of Glen/Marketa since that point, I've seen them in concert 9 times, and I could probably recite the film line for line. Personally, the musical means a great deal to me as it came along at a point in my life when I really needed it. I've never cried in a theatre except watching this show on Saturday night. It hit me like a ton of bricks. It's so beautiful, and it needs to be seen.

One thing I love is how gracious everyone is. Steve Kazee was out before the lotto talking to people and wishing them luck, and he looked on the verge of tears during curtain call. They seem to be so humbled by the reaction, and really seem not to fully fathom how much this musical has been affecting people. I don't stage door, but afterwards I stuck around just to tell him and Christin how great they were. I don't think I've ever met performers as genuine and gracious as they were. They are about to blow up in fame, and I wish them the best of luck. They are incredible.

Haha, and I realize that most of my posts in the past year have been about Once. I swear I'm not a shill.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#121Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/9/12 at 12:48am

Saw the show tonight and loved it. It's such a heartfelt, wonderful & intimate little show. Cristin Milioti gives such a powerful, touching performance; it would be a shame for her not to at least get a Tony nomination. And it looked like the show was sold-out and that they sold SRO as well(unless it was the creative team standing in the back of the house). I really wish this show nothing but the best and a long healthy run on Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

michellek45
#122Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/9/12 at 12:01pm

I saw this show last night, and only found it to be alright. Slight SPOILERS, I guess, for those want to avoid an overview of the show. I know I had a problem with the lyrics, which I often found overly simplistic and rather vague. They didn't give much insight into the characters, who I also found rather underdeveloped, especially Guy. He seemed like a typical "lost soul" musician and though this story was obviously more about him than about her, I never felt connected with him because I knew very little about him. The only time that he shows an iota of personality is when he's telling the story about his mother- though, of course, I realize that is the point because he's simply named "Guy," but it didn't work for me and I felt when I left that he was still as much of a stranger to me as he had been when I came in. Girl was much better- she had a personality and the potential to be an interesting character, but they wasted time on too many side characters for me to fully understand her motivations.

Some of the physical comedy was a little cheesy and had me rolling my eyes, but the dialogue was excellent and had me laughing a lot. I also think the problem with not being able to connect with it had to do with the fact that a lot of the songs seemed to be just sort of dropping in with no relation to the plot, which is a problem in a show where your characters are already lacking something and need all the time they can to become real. That said, I think Cristin Miloti was outstanding and should definitely be nominated for a Tony. The pre-show was probably my favorite part of the whole thing, and it got me really excited for what I felt was only an average show.

TheaterAddict17 Profile Photo
TheaterAddict17
#123Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/9/12 at 1:03pm

I was able to catch the show at NYTW and it was incredible! The musical captured the raw emotion and passion of the film and integrated new characters and plotlines, which only added to an already beautiful story. The score and performances were incredibly moving. I literally had to catch my breath when Cristin Milioti sang "The Hill" in Act II.

I'm interested to see how it translates on such a big stage. NYTW was such an intimate experience, so I hope that it maintains its character on Broadway.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#124Once on Broadway
Posted: 3/14/12 at 11:03pm

Interesting article I just saw in the post about Cristin Milioti.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/realestate/residential/musical_milioti_D79C40C19H5N0MdX6e7OPO/0

The buzz for this has been strangely quiet considering it's opening in just a few days.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

Videos