pixeltracker

OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!- Page 5

OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#100OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 2:03pm

I agree with you Jordan that I wish all movie musicals well at the box office. If Les Miserables doesn't do well we will see a slowdown in production. But you're right, Battleship can lose 150 million and they won't question the action genre.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

NotAnotherSN Profile Photo
NotAnotherSN
#101OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 3:28pm

I dunno, I wasn't crazy about it. I found Diego to be pretty "meh" in his performance. He was kinda lifeless and while I found his singing to be pretty good, his acting was subpar. I loved Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand and Tom Cruise though. I really enjoyed Cruise's bizarre humor and I thought that really made the movie for me. It really wasn't tongue-in-cheek enough. Some numbers worked really well and other really fell flat. I was pissing myself during the "I Want to Know What Love Is" scene, the throwback to 80s music videos was the highlight of the movie to me. Other than the big concert numbers, though, most of the songs just felt crammed in and out of place. For a movie that shouldn't have taken itself too seriously, it took itself way too seriously. I agree with Jordan, though. I want this movie to do well because I do want to see more musical movies. That said, I really couldn't justify seeing this movie again.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#102OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:20pm

Loved.

I've never seen the stage show, and I didn't know half the songs - but it was so much fun, and I'm sad that it hasn't done better at the box-office. Diego Boneta was lovely, small mouth or not. Is it worth staying to the end credits? Damn cleaners pressuring us out.

Also, are there any Tower Records left in the US?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#103OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:22pm

Nope, nothing after the credits except the Warner Bros. logo.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#104OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:22pm

Nope, nothing after the credits except the Warner Bros. logo.

NotAnotherSN
#105OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:23pm

Nope, Tower Records went out of business five or six years ago.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#106OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:28pm

Thanks, both.

Pity about Tower, I know they still have some international outlets though.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

NotAnotherSN
#107OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:40pm

Tower was great but it sure as hell wasn't cheap. FYE's prices are somewhat better (especially when there's a sale going on, which seems like all the time), but they are starting to disappear too. When it comes to record stores, independent ones are really the only option, especially since their prices are almost always better than the "big box" stores.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#108OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 4:46pm

The Tower Records that was in the Lincoln Center area (now a Raymour and Flanigan's) and the one in the East Village were the ones I frequented the most.

Rainbowhigh23
#109OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 6:26pm

^ I loved the theater and opera sections of Tower; they had everything you wanted there.

I met Michael from Good Times at the East Village location in 1986.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#110OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 7:06pm

The Lonny-Dennis romance/bromance is played curiously straight in the film... pardon the pun.

Onstage, it's a clear gag- "Oh, and we're gay now. Just so we can sing the obligatory Act 2 love duet." And then it's never mentioned again.

SporkGoddess
#111OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 7:33pm

That confused me on the cast recording. Then it confused me even more in the movie.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#112OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 8:20pm

Did people find some of the lip-syncing to be slightly off?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

WEDHEAD Profile Photo
WEDHEAD
#113OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 8:46pm

Saw it again today and I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. It still doesn't compare to the show as the tone is completely different, but I do feel it's a sweet little film that is misunderstood. It's not the broadway Rock of Ages, but it's a harmless little film that is a good time if you just go with it. I really think it's going to gain it's own cult following over time.

Jonwo
#114OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 9:30pm

I thought it was fun but it should have been more tongue in cheek, thought Cruise was great as Stacee Jaxx as well as Catherine Zeta Jones as Patricia Whitmore.

WEDHEAD Profile Photo
WEDHEAD
#115OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/17/12 at 10:03pm

Yes, the movie takes itself way too seriously. That's the biggest difference between the stage and film versions. If the film was at least closer to the tone of the stage version, it would be more of a success. Still, if you view it on it's own without the stage show in mind it has its own charm.

rorschach37
#116OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:01am

Random question...."Rock You Like a Hurricane" sung by Hough and Cruise can be heard during the end credits, but is listed before "We're Not Gonna Take It/We Built This City" on the soundtrack. Would anyone happen to know if they actually filmed the scene with the number or if it was simply cut after recording it?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#117OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 11:43pm

I adored this movie so much! Was it predictable? Yes. Was it cheesy? Oh hell yeah, but I just loved it so much fun! One part I thought was just perfection were the cameos during We're Not Gonna Take It/We Built This City. Just seeing Sebastian Bach, Debbie Gibson, & Kevin Cronin singing back against protesters was awesome.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#118OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/19/12 at 12:19am

Yes, allegedly the strip scene with Rock You Like A Hurricane was filmed but cut. Watch for it on the Extended Edition dvd, probably.

sephyr
#119OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/19/12 at 2:37am

I went in never seeing the show and I didn't really know what to expect, but I really liked it for the most part. I did feel like the two leads didn't camp it up as much as they should have. But I loved their vocals and thought Julianne was just great (she really impressed me)! I thought Tom Cruise was great and Catherine was too (the Hit Me With Your Best Shot number was priceless.)

And we all gasped when the stripper "hit the brakes" at the end of the pole 0_0 lol

Overall I loved:
Julianne/When they did camp it up/Tom Cruise/The songs and vocals

Oh and what was Mary J. Blige's character's back-story? I must have missed it because she was looking sad and getting emotional (while singing) and I was wondering "why??" lol

WEDHEAD Profile Photo
WEDHEAD
#120OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/19/12 at 11:26am

For the movie, it's anyones guess what Mary's backstory is. In the show, she acts more like a mother figure to Sherri, taking her in and taking care of her. There's also backstory given about her lost love and the mistake she made by leaving him behind.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#121OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/19/12 at 2:44pm

I did as well. Was sort of depressed at Hough's performance. Loved her on Dancing With The Stars but found her and the guy to be a bit bland and dull in the film.

The stars of the film are CRUISE, His bare ass chaps and his monkey. I also adored Alec Baldwin in the role. Was entertained and had a blast but I thought it would be better.

The walking and singing in Tower Records was annoying.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#122OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/19/12 at 4:34pm

Over and over people are saying the two young leads were dull. Of course! And yet at the same time some of the same "critics" say that the movie wasn't tongue in cheek enough. Huh? Don't you get it? The leads were dull on purpose -- that IS the tongue in cheek part about them. While the other characters were totally over the top, those two seemed serious about their roles -- but clearly the director was laughing all the while at them. Easier than taking two charismatic actors and having them "play" dull! And the end results were better too.

NOB88
#123OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVED ROCK OF AGES!!!!
Posted: 6/19/12 at 8:23pm

Patash I agree that Shankman WANTED Drew and Sherrie to be dull but not for 'tongue in cheek' but because he wanted to give this movie to Tom Cruise.

massofmen

Videos