pixeltracker

"Side Show" Preview Thread- Page 5

"Side Show" Preview Thread

gcal
#100re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:55pm

Stupid question... Are "Stuck With You" and Ready to Play" the same songs from Emily and Alice's Duets album?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#101re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:10pm

"Can't wait to see it in a few weeks. I've never seen the show. I've never listened to the album. I know almost nothing about it. Nearly all the posts here are people comparing the old to the new. I'm SO glad I won't be doing that, but observing what to me will be a NEW musical and simply assessing how it stands on its own."

If it runs until the summer after Tony nominations have been announced (which I am really hoping because I am really interested in seeing this on my next trip) I will be in the same boat. I've only heard a couple of the songs, am somewhat familiar with the story, and find interest in the sideshow/freakshows of the time.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#102re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:15pm

"If it runs until the summer after Tony nominations have been announced..."

That sounds like a big IF so far...

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#103re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:16pm

That's what I'm afraid of, but I just *really* want to see this.

Wilmingtom
#104re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:23pm

In terms of the Tonys, my gut says it will be considered a revival right down the line and that none of the material will be eligible. I also feel like its running until the awards is unlikely.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#105re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:00pm

^So in other words, it's going to be ON THE TOWN vs THE KING AND I for this season.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#106re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:31pm

^ There's also On the Twentieth Century to factor into that equation.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#107re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:49pm

Isn't "Ready to Play" the same lyric as recorded, but with an entirely new melody? Maybe the lyrics have been revised slightly.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

RW3
#108re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:52pm

What I think is also interesting is that Erin and Emily only have one understudy and that understudy is for both roles.

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#109re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:04pm

RW3: there are actually 2 understudies. But one can do both roles.

RW3
#110re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:12pm

Okay, In the cast list photo, I just saw Delaney Westfall listed for both Daisy and Violet.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#111re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 7:45pm

The new commercial makes it look like Side Show is about lesbian singers who fall in love.

iluvtheatertrash
#112re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 10:53pm

I just got out. Gotta get up very early so will write more later. But Ryan Silverman is a sexy beast and his "Private Conversation" is thrilling.

Did those two American Horror Story costumes at the end infuriate anyone else?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#113re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 10:55pm

I hated the flashback, too. It could be cut in its entirety, particulalry a very wasted opportunity with Houdini.

iluvtheatertrash
#114re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:01pm

Are those costumes from AHS based on those from the film FREAKS? Anyone know? Would bother me a lot less...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#115re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:07pm

How is anything in this production "an American Horror Story costume" when it preceded that show being on the air?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

iluvtheatertrash
#116re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:42pm

Ah, you're right. It's been a long couple of days, and I completely forgot for a minute that those designs were probably there in D.C. I'm also wondering if perhaps they're inspired by something in FREAKS....

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#117re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:45pm

Probably. That movie is the most influential piece of pop culture when it comes to influencing anything to do with "freak shows"

ads08
#118re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:18am

I went to the performance tonight and I'm very on the fence about this show. There's something about this show that reminded me of Wicked when I first saw it. Overall, the story was interesting and the whole is better than the sum of its parts. However, most of the music is not memorable with the exception of big songs at the end of the acts. The first act was pretty boring - The second act was much stronger with some better music but I felt like some of the impact of the songs was lost due to the lack of character development in Act 1. The performances from the lead actors were great and Terry and Jake's songs in the 2nd act were my favorite parts of the show.

BwayFan4
#119re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 1:16am

Yes... that end picture that they create is all from Freaks, which of course is the bookended theme of this production. So if you look up any of the old photos from Freaks, those characters were directly from there. I'm assuming AHS tried to tie back to the famed freaks from Tod Browning's movie also, which is why I'm sure there is a resemblance :)

iluvtheatertrash
#120re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:27am

Thanks, guys! That makes a lot more sense. My first reaction at seeing those costumes was not a good one, but that helps!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#121re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 8:28am

I understand the feeling of AHS deja vu when viewing this production, but it's a case of Murphy borrowing from Freaks and possibly even Side Show itself and not the other way around. I mean, it wouldn't be all that shocking if you found the OBCR on his playlist.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#122re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:00am

Yeah, gee, do we wonder if the man who created GLEE might own a copy of the OBC of SIDE SHOW? (And might've seen the show when the Colony did it in California?) It's funny how we rush to think everything exists in a cultural vacuum.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#123re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:26am

They had air travel in 1997. I'm going to venture that Ryan Murphy saw the original Broadway production. re: 1st preview

And yes, both SIDE SHOW and AHS: FREAK SHOW were clearly inspired by the 1932 film FREAKS.
FREAKS

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#124re: 1st preview
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:35am

re: 1st preview

Daisy and Violet Hilton in the MGM film FREAKS (1932).

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

Videos