pixeltracker

Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?- Page 5

Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?

The Other One
#100Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/1/15 at 12:43am

I've never heard the Scottish National Opera recording, but the OBC and English National Opera (the production I saw) recordings are both excellent.  

VintageSnarker
#101Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/1/15 at 12:51am

"I think Show Boat or The Most Happy Fella would both be terrific ideas. Has Vanessa Williams ever played Julie La Verne? Because I think she would be perfect for it."

I don't remember if I posted about it here but while I enjoyed her performance for a concert (where people were still stumbling over some of their lines) she wouldn't be my first pick for Julie. I don't think she found the depth that she could have in her acting and while the way she interpreted the songs was enjoyable, it wasn't consistent and it drew me out of the context of the show a little. 

I'm growing rather attached to the idea of Ragtime and The Most Happy Fella. I don't suppose they'll announce anything with The King and I not looking like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#102Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/1/15 at 6:52pm

I'd like to see Carmen Jones done with a mixed race cast.  It's a great show, but I think the "black" dialect that the lyrics are written with could DEFINITELY be changed.

"Beat out dat rhythm on da drum"

Um.  How about no?

It's still a great show regardless that hasn't seen the light of day for quite a while.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#103Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 3:13pm

Add me to The Most Happy Fella camp.  One of the best musicals ever written and it deserves a lush full revival.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#104Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 4:05pm

LADY IN THE DARK

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#105Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 7:22pm

I would love a revival of "Caroline, Or Change" starring someone like Uzo Aduba. Not sure if she can handle the score, but she can sing and she has such a unique presence. If not, it could be nice to see Anika Noni Rose come full circle and play Caroline!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#106Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 9:02pm

I would personally love to see a revival of "Oklahoma!" 

Who I would cast?

Curly-Andrew Samonsky 

Laurey-Katie Travis

Aunt Eller-Ellen Harvey

Jud-Steven Pasquale 

Will-Jay Armstrong Johnson 

Ado Annie-Annaleigh Ashford

Ali Hakim-Maz Jobrani

Andrew Carnes-Patrick Page

Updated On: 8/3/15 at 09:02 PM

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#107Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 7:10pm

But I also think that Gypsy could also have potential if it hasn't been revived by Lincoln Center

Rose-Bebe Neuwirth

Herbie-Brent Spiner

Louise-Sierra Boggess

June-Erin Mackey

Tulsa-Clyde Alves

VintageSnarker
#108Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 11:31pm

If Andrew Samonsky was too hard for Cable he'd definitely be too hard for Curly. I think Steven Pasquale would come across as too sympathetic (and yes, too attractive) for Jud. I do like the idea of Jay Armstrong Johnson as Will and Annaleigh Ashford as Ado Annie. I don't know if I'd put them together but I think they'd be good individually in those roles.

And oh, God, please not another Gypsy.

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#109Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/4/15 at 2:11pm

"If Andrew Samonsky was too hard for Cable he'd definitely be too hard for Curly. I think Steven Pasquale would come across as too sympathetic (and yes, too attractive) for Jud. I do like the idea of Jay Armstrong Johnson as Will and Annaleigh Ashford as Ado Annie. I don't know if I'd put them together but I think they'd be good individually in those roles.
And oh, God, please not another Gypsy."

Hey have you ever thought that Steven Pasquale's could possibly be played down covered with the dirt and grim and a slight weight gain. And have you seen Andrew Samonsky's performance as Phoebus in "Hunchback" cause I think he could bring some of that into Curly. And yes no Gypsy at least not for another 3 to 5 years.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#110Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/4/15 at 3:46pm

Oh, they can revive Gypsy as often as they'd like.  I just won't plan on seeing it again until Sydney Lucas is old enough to play Mama Rose.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#111Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/4/15 at 3:48pm

Enough with the damn GYPSY revivals!!!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#112Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/4/15 at 3:59pm

Give me another on the town revival now

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#113Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/4/15 at 4:50pm

I love "Gypsy" as much as the next guy, but can't we swap it out with "Hello Dolly" or "Mame" for once?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#114Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/4/15 at 6:09pm

why don't they put a new musical there next. Isn't adam guettel working on a new show with Bart? If not, then hopefully Funny Girl

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#115Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 8/5/15 at 10:45am

Sauja: One show I'm curious about is Kismet. I know almost nothing about it, other than that it's huge, it won the Tony, and it hasn't been revived on Broadway. Anyone have thoughts on it?

"Kismet" has gorgeous score that mixes Broadway belting with challenging Legit ballads. The score is wet to a genuinely funny burlesque-y book. The central character has to deceive everyone around him to pair his daughter with the prince and defeat the evil Wazir. Think a less PC "Forum" or Disney's "Aladdin" with more sex and violence.

"Kismet" is set in Baghdad but has been often cast with Caucasian performers. This is a sticking point for modern critics. Michael Ball and Faith Prince got raked over the coals when they headlined a London production in 2007. Brian Stokes Mitchell led the 2006 Encores production opposite Marin Mazzie. Ben Brantley was kind to them but dismissive of the show.

I actually enjoy the maligned movie version. It kept most of the score and some of the jokes but Dolores Gray is the only one who understands the tone.

http://threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com/2014/09/kismet.html 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 8/5/15 at 10:45 AM

BroadMagTech
#116Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 11:33am

BUMP

I would love to see a new production of Sweeney Todd

Dollypop
#117Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 11:47am

House of Flowers

Can Can

Brigadoon

Fanny

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#118Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:15pm

I would like to see a Titanic revival on that big stage. It was my first thought when I saw what they did with the ship in King & I. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#119Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:16pm

Hallelujah, Baby with Cynthia Erivo, maybe with a judiciously revised book

Lady in the Dark

Lost in the Stars

Call Me Madam

City of Angels

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#120Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:51pm

Kiss of the Spider Woman

City of Angels 

Merrily We Roll Along

Dreamgirls

Funny Girl

Sunset Blvd

Follies - iIt's been said in this thread, I've said it myself in other threads, but it bears repeating. In 5-10 years hand the reigns over to Sher and lets see what this master can do with a contemporary classic. Cast Kelli O'Hara, Laura Benanti, Tony Yazbeck, & Steven Pasquale. Get Laura to talk Patti into stepping into Hattie's orthopedics. Maybe Katie Finneran for Carlotta? I know that's a little out of left field but she's one of those that can take a sexy character & make it hilarious or vice versa, plus she's always able to do so much with little material. I feel like a Lincoln/Sher Follies is an inevitability though. Everyone just wants to see what he pulls off with their resources and that material.

#121Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:53pm

This choice is only because Bart Sher is the resident director at Lincoln Center....Sweeney Todd.  With his master work in reexamining classic works to make them seem fresh and relevant right now I think he would do something extraordinary with it.  Also, I don't believe New York has seen his Sondheim approach yet.  Otherwise it would be too soon to do it considering john Doyle's production was seen just a decade ago....ten years isn't long enough for a broadway revival. The rule from the greats of Broadway's golden era and before was 20 years.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#122Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 1:01pm

is it Kelli as Phyllis? because I need to hear Laura singing Losing My Mind. In 10 years I think that cast could happen.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

lujoc
#123Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/29/16 at 1:32pm

Yeah, I'm sure that Benanti and Pasquale would have no problem at all being cast as a bitter, bickering married couple 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#124Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?
Posted: 4/30/16 at 12:00am

Man of La Mancha

Videos