pixeltracker

The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?- Page 5

The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?

Plum
#100re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 9:04pm

Well, that's when I saw a lot of the nominated musicals and plays, and sure enough I didn't have a single understudy. :) But really, my timing had more to do with the end of the school year than any desire to take advantage of the Tonys.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#101re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 9:08pm

Oh, That's okay Sherwood.

There is no doubt that Donna is extremely talented, but now she is going to have this "over 100 performances missed" on her record. Which is sad - because she really is talented.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#102re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 9:54pm

If you're sick, you're sick---I travel to NYC to see shows (9 hours one way Greyhound), many times because of who's in the show. If that person happens to be out sick, so be it---I have never asked for my money back, I have just enjoyed the production---that's when you discover how under-appreciated and talented understudies are! Sometimes the show is better than the people in it (if that makes sense, lol)

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#103re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 9:58pm

As far as cutting songs, Edie Gorme cut a duet between her & Scott Jacoby in Golden Rainbow after it moved to the George Abbott

With regard to understudies, Sara was out when we saw it & her's did not miss a beat. When we saw Victor Victoria , Julie was out It now appears she had good reason to be. Many people got refunds. We stayed & saw it with Anne Runalfson & throughly enjoyed her performance. We than saw Julie on the DVD & could not tell much difference between the 2 performances. We go to see the show. If someone is out, we still stay & see it

Poster Emeritus

#104re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:05pm

Just wanted to comment that I did see Sara Ramirez during a matinee showing... it was in late July.

kombatkoala
#105re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 2:32am

I heard that she didn't want Tuesday's or mats. because it was too much of a strain on her voice.

And the Post has a habit of blowing things out of proportion.

JohnnyJune
#106re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 5:28am

Seriously none of this has surprised me at all. I've heard rumors up and down all over the place. I work in the industry and often hear many things. One thats not a big surprise is that Tim Curry is not one of the nicest people in the world to deal with, while it has been said that David and Hank are the nicest... this being said around back stage. I mean at one point Hank even had a doctor administer Steroids to help his failing voice to do performances. Now that is commitment.
Unfortunately I highly doubt that between Sarahs and Tims temper tantrums and absences that they will never work again. I mean lets really face it. TIM IS TIM CURRY. DIVA YES. BRILLIANT even more so. And as far as Sarah.... Someone who wins a TONY for her performance has absolutely no worries of ever having to get a job again. Especially with how wonderful her voice is... even though its COMPLETELY wasted in Spamalot.

#107re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 5:53am

Sorry to be a correction-hound, but here name is spelled Sara and pronounced "sa-da"

Cabchic
#108re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 10:20am

I heard someone say Hank said about using steroids on the Leno show but I took it as a joke. You think it was true? He really doesn't sing much at all in the show. I can't imagine him needing steroids for his voice.
I still think this was blown out of proportion. I saw Sara at the stage door a few nights ago and she seemed fine. Didn't look like someone who had gotten reamed, but then again she is an actress.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#109re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 10:31am

I thought Sara was the best thing about Spamalot. I went back to see it a second time and was very disappointed that she was out. But, was interested in seeing how her understudy was. WEll all I can say is that it was one of the worst performances I've ever seen on a broadway stage. Terrible. I would actually cringe at times. Nothing against her personally, but I don't think she was right for the part. Of all the incredible talent in the world, I can't believe she got this stand-by role.

Plum
#110re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 10:40am

Cabchic, "steroids" is a very broad chemical term. We associate it with anabolic steroids- the kind people use to bulk up in the gym. But there's also, for example, corticosteroids, which are used as anti-inflammatories, among other things. So saying he was taking steroids doesn't seem that crazy to me.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#111re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 11:36am

Who gives a flying fig how her name is pronounced when we're TYPING it on a message board?

She only wants to do a 6 show week as it's a strain on her voice? Seriously? The Lady Of The Lake is hardly Eva Peron now is it? Perhaps if she had a more controlled technique she wouldn't be straining her voice all the time. Just a thought.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#112re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 11:39am

Now that makes sense, popcultureboy; do these "singers" have any technique, really?

Ladyofthe Lake Profile Photo
Ladyofthe Lake
#113re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 11:46am

"Seriously none of this has surprised me at all. I've heard rumors up and down all over the place. I work in the industry and often hear many things. One thats not a big surprise is that Tim Curry is not one of the nicest people in the world to deal with, while it has been said that David and Hank are the nicest..."

Wow. I have to say *I'm* surprised. Not about the absences, which are undeniable. And I know nothing about Sara Ramirez personally. But I *am* surprised to read your observation that Tim Curry "is not one of the nicest people in the world to deal with." I'm not arguing, as I'm not in the business and certainly don't know the man, and can only go on what I've read about him over the course of many years - including comments from people who have worked with him (not always in something as formal as an interview - sometimes on forums like this one). I've never seen anything to indicate he has a reputation for being nasty or difficult to deal with. Actually, what anecdotal evidence I *have* seen has said quite the opposite. Is this something new? If you don't want to elaborate "publicly", feel free to PM me.

#114re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 11:55am

Well of course the tickets I bought for the next performance of Spamalot that I'm seeing is on a Tuesday. Sara was out (that lengthy flu she had) the last (and first) time I saw it and now I'll probably miss her again. (altho' it's not until the very beginning of May, so who knows who'll still be in the show anyway by then)

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#115re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:00pm

I just wish they'd get their facts straight. DHP was out in June as well, he wasn't there for the performance I saw. Everyone else was in. In not a huge thing but if they say that he was only ever absent in March, then he should have only been out in March. They need to get their facts correct.

I'm sorry to hear about Sara, I'm a big fan of hers.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#116re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:02pm

Yeah, it's not like Hank's doctor was pumping him up Schwarzenegger-style. There are different types of steroids, as Plum said. When Hank mentioned them on Leno, there wasn't anything to indicate he was making the whole thing up- they joked about TAKING them and the after effects, (Leno: "And the shrunken testicles? How did THAT work out for you?" Hank: "The murder spree I went on afterwards WAS the downside..." lol)

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#117re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 1:06pm

"And as far as Sarah.... Someone who wins a TONY for her performance has absolutely no worries of ever having to get a job again. Especially with how wonderful her voice is... even though its COMPLETELY wasted in Spamalot."

There are plenty of people who have won their Tony and never work again. It doesn't guarentee you anything.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#118re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 1:13pm

Argh. Great minds, musicgal. I think I already mentioned that earlier in this thread. Skipping things? Are we? Hmmmm?

This is my signature.

Cabchic
#119re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 1:30pm

I did read somewhere that Sara was trained on her voice. I'm sure she has since but maybe she hasn't mastered conserving her voice. Again all of this is based on this one guy's article and who knows how true it i and how much it is exaggerated. I had heard that DHP missed a show so he was wrong on that account. I also didn't think Sara missed as many shows as he implied. I thought Tim had a worse attendence record, but again he was on vacation for a bit. Sara is on vacation the 21st-28th. Hopefully when she gets back she wont' miss many shows. She obviously makes a big difference when she's out.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#120re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 2:16pm

For some (many?) of us, the Ramirez performance makes/breaks SPAMALOT, because it's an honest-to-God bonafide musical comedy performance, with just the right comedic size and vocal prowess. The gents, bless the talented lot, all are playing sustained sketch comedy, albeit wonderfully. Not many musical theater chops are required of the others. (Curry's role is the glue that holds it together--but is it really a delish part?)

La Ramirez stands out because the role was created freshly for this show, from the ground up, not borrowed, lifted or reinvented. I loved her, but hate to imagine the damned thing without her.

People will rant, but I think there's something suspect about a show that is so performance-specific and can't (yet) find a cover to approximate the values of the star's work. The show's flatness without Ramirez reveals SPAMALOT's inherent flimsiness as much as this gifted singing comedienne's impact.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

B-WayHereEyeCome
#121re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 3:15pm

Just a quick question, kinda off topic...What does it mean to "phone in" a performance? Is it just like giving a half ass, non-creative, so-so performance?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#122re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 3:53pm

Speaking of voice problems, I saw The Pillowman yesturday and the guy playing Ariel, once agian I don't know how to spell his name and I'm too lazy to chewck the playbill, said he had ot change his stage voice to make it more nasal because a few weeks ago he almost lost it and now it was fading and amde him nervous. even straight actors preserve their voices, shame on sara lol.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#123re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 4:26pm

Yes, B-way.

Well, Sara was the only thing good about this performace. And DHP was good.

Eponine - was he on vacation when you saw it? They may not include vacations as missed performances...

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#124re: The end of SARA RAMIREZ's career?
Posted: 8/14/05 at 8:20pm

It surprises me that Sara's having such problems with her voice in that she is a trained proffessional and, on the cast recording and when I saw her, she used her head voice a lot... especially ( I know I'm going to be slayed for this but) compared to Idina who used her chest voice sooo much throughout her run in Wicked, and (arguably) had less severe voice problems over a longer period of time.

Videos