pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 53

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

yyys
#1300Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/20/23 at 11:22am

The orchestra was half empty yesterday (matinee).  I got $99 for row J center orchestra (seat 104) at the box office 15 minutes before showtime. As someone said earlier, they don't have any that's lower than that.  

I was mostly impressed with Daniel Torres as Pirelli. Jeanna De Waal also played the Beggar Woman.

I did like Nicholas Christopher as Sweeney Todd, especially his acting, but I still prefer Josh's voice :)

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#1301Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/21/23 at 8:38pm

Sutton Ross said: "Nicholas' Sweeney f*cks. RUN BABES."

I just wanted to thank you for this post. Disappointed to see Groban was out for my weekend in NYC, I decided to grab those $99 seats at the box office (also K, 2, 4, 6). Sutton's assessment is accurate. For Epiphany alone.

PipingHotPiccolo
#1302Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/21/23 at 9:09pm

A half empty orchestra on an August Sunday is all these producers need to know re an extension without Groban into the winter months. A shame. 

Dom P
#1303Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/21/23 at 9:53pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "A half empty orchestra on an August Sunday is all these producers need to know re an extension without Groban into the winter months. A shame."

I agree. Im going to go out on a limb and say this revival,even with full orchestrations, probably wouldn't have happened with out Josh Groban attached ,and if it did wouldnt have been as successful as its been. However, I think as long as its properly cast (voice etc)for the announced  road  tour ,i believe it will sell.

Angela897
#1304Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/21/23 at 10:36pm

Reports are that both Josh and Annaleigh are out Wednesday. Wonder if Annaleigh now has Covid? They better keep an eye on Nick, lol.

What would be the chances of seeing Nick Christopher play Sweeney for the tour? Not sure how tour casting works.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1305Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/21/23 at 11:11pm

"Horror story at Sweeney Todd"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/15wwsgk/horror_story_at_sweeney_todd/

Personally, I would have lost my sh*t.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1306Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 8:30am

If they are indeed both out tomorrow night, I will definitely be there for the right price... dying to see Jeanna's Lovett.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

willep
#1307Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 9:04am

The lottery website has a note that they are both out tomorrow (the 23rd).

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1308Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 9:12am

I think there is a difference between buying tix to see J Groban (or any other "star "Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway vs buying tix for a traditional casting as far as refunds go.  If you're willing to buy tix at 2-300 bucks, I understand wanting your money back if the star isn't there.  But if I bought 150 tix and "Nick Christopher" is out, I sit down and enjoy the understudy. (Not me personally, I love an understudy)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#1309Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 4:16pm

Annaleigh confirms via Instagram she has COVID and will be out of the show for a while. Jeanna goes on as Lovett.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

bwayphreak234
#1310Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 4:18pm

Well, looks like I'll be seeing this for a third time at some point this week now!

bwayphreak234
#1311Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 4:59pm

Great deals on TodayTix for tomorrow's shows (and no fees) for anyone interested. Got $79 front mezzanine seats for tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing both Nicholas Christopher and Jeanna De Waal.

Dom P
#1312Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 5:24pm

willep said: "The lottery website has a note that they are both out tomorrow (the 23rd)."

Get well,Stay safe and Healthy: Annaleigh and Josh.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#1313Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 5:25pm

Seeing the show again, with understudies, tomorrow.  Excited to hopefully see both Nick and Jenna! 

Has anyone seen Jenna as Lovett? 

Updated On: 8/22/23 at 05:25 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1314Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 6:06pm

Was there a good amount of actors out over the weekend? Was there a ton of swings on? hopefully they're not experiencing an outbreak there.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Angela897
#1315Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 6:14pm

ACL2006 said: "Was there a good amount of actors out over the weekend? Was there a ton of swings on? hopefully they're not experiencing an outbreak there."

Gaten was out for a bit, assuming he had it, and Jonathan Christoper confirmed he had it last week. Seems like it's making the rounds. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1316Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 6:15pm

Angela897 said: "ACL2006 said: "Was there a good amount of actors out over the weekend? Was there a ton of swings on? hopefully they're not experiencing an outbreak there."

Gaten was out for a bit, assuming he had it, and Jonathan Christoper confirmed he had it last week. Seems like it's making the rounds.
"

sadly cases are rising again due to the new variant. Yet all COVID protocols have gone away. Wearing a mask is considered taboo now.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JasonC3
#1317Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 6:22pm

Wearing a mask is taboo?  It may be uncommon, but last time I checked we each have agency to make our own decisions. I had no problem wearing a mask on a flight today even though only six of us did so.

Dom P
#1318Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 6:40pm

ACL2006 said: "Angela897 said: "ACL2006 said: "Was there a good amount of actors out over the weekend? Was there a ton of swings on? hopefully they're not experiencing an outbreak there."

"

sadly cases are rising again due to the new variant. Yet all COVID protocols have gone away. Wearing a mask is considered taboo now.
"

Unfortunate,if wearing a mask is taboo.  I agree with Jason C3. Id rather be comfortable wearing a mask in a situation where I'd be uncomfortable not wearing one. Id rather risk someone giving me the stink eye than getting ill. And you can always shoot back at the stink eye with a stern but quizzical what look. Again,I wish Josh and Annaleigh and the whole company Health and Happiness,and those out with CoVid, Get well,stay safe and Happy. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1319Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 6:45pm

I see people wearing masks every single day. It is no more taboo than when we were in the middle of it all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1320Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 7:13pm

dramamama611 said: "I see people wearing masks every single day. It is no more taboo than when we were in the middle of it all."

I see very few people wearing a mask these days. Not at work, the grocery store, the gym, even doctor's offices don't require them anymore.

Hairspray0901
#1321Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/22/23 at 7:30pm

I still wear a mask and I’m usually the only one. My family and a majority of my friends don’t wear one anymore. I was probably the only one wearing one last week at OUAOMT and BTTF. Wild. 

bear88
#1322Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 11:51am

Sweeney Todd available at the TKTS booth today.

PipingHotPiccolo
#1323Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 12:06pm

very few people are wearing masks these days in NYC but i woudn't call it "taboo" to wear one? Just a personal choice, that makes more sense if we see an upswing in hospitalizations etc. from this new variant.

Boq101
#1324Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 12:14pm

Finally saw this production last week. 

Nick being on for Groban was INCREDIBLE. Most of the staff truly was amazing. My only qualm with them was the way some lines were thrown or mumbled, The person I came with knew nothing about Sweeney Todd and she couldn't make heads or tails about half the lines in the scenes. 

The orchestra was lovely, but after repeated watching of all of those concert versions, it actually didn't sound that full to me. The show is also sound mixed in a way that it almost didn't matter. The ensemble together was never as loud as any one particular soloist from the mezzanine mix. Underwhelming. I'm worried they're spending so much time mixing the cast recording we're gonna miss any "live" feeling there, too. 

Ultimately, I think Sondheim wrote a chamber piece that got beautifully blown up once by Hal Prince, but I don't think the show ultimately needs to be as big as it was. The Doyle production and even the Barrow Street production still held my attention more and delivered more impact that seeing this particular "grand" staging. 

Videos