News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...- Page 6

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#125The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/9/15 at 5:41pm

Is Carole really that difficult of a role? When I saw it, I thought I was seeing "The Carole King Musical" and instead I got Cynthia Weil's incredibly boring storyline. Carole was on stage for maybe an hour the entire show. And most of the songs she sang transitioned into big chorus numbers. And her one big scene was custom made for applause ("I don't need a man, I'm enough all by myself"). Besides mimicking Carole's voice, I never really saw the magic of Jessie's performance in a show that was basically a copy and paste job of the far superior Funny Girl.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#126The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/9/15 at 6:21pm

^That's just your opinion.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#127The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/9/15 at 7:01pm

I can see how originating the role of Carole could, be hard due to the comparisons and whatnot....but it seems like "Jersey Boys"...they'll turn out Carole's like they have with Frankie's (another Tony winng role). I think Jesse benefited from "Bridges" being closed to winning. 

I adore Kelli, but I'm not blown away by her Anna. It's perfect on all levels but don't feel an overall excitement. Fyi loved Kelli in "Dracula", throughly loved her Lucy in "Dracula". 

I doubt Chita is sitting there thinking "must win Tony" I think finally getting to do this role on Broadway is the real triumph.  

Kristin should of gotten a nod for "Apple Tree". I wasn't a big fan of the show but she was the show. I think this may be her year to win as best LEAD. 

VanillaIceCream2
#128The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/9/15 at 7:19pm

Sally Durant Plummer, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Especially after all of the Tony buzz, I'd imagined that Carole's role would be more central than it actually was. Beautiful seemed to me like much more of an ensemble show, and the way Jessie was singled out as some kind of godsend was a little puzzling. She was great in the role, but I would never have imagined she'd have the success she did. I also only heard people talk about how perfectly she imitated Carole King's style of singing, not how she put her own spin on the character. This just goes to show how unpredictable awards season can be from year to year.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#129The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:36am

I think given that Kristen is hosting, she's probably a sure bet. Kelli was great in King and I but it wasn't a TONY kind of performance. And Kristen, apparently I haven't seen it yet, is slaying over at the American Airlines. 

theatreguy12
#130The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 11:27am

Great choice of words, Ripped.  

I couldn't take my eyes off her to be honest.  And not just because she's Kristin Chenoweth. You become so intrigued by the quirkiness of the character you just want to see what she's going to do next.  Or say next.  

I think the only time I may have taken my eyes off her, briefly, was when the porters come on.  They're great.

And the art deco scenery that surrounds is stunning.

I went into this show not knowing much about it, and I have to admit Kristin Chenoweth was a big draw for me.  I've never seen her onstage.

The musical did look colorful and action-packed though, so I thought what the heck.

I ended up loving this show.  And not just for her, but everyone, and everything involved. It all meshes so well, with her performance bringing it all together beautifully.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#131The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:04pm

"Great choice of words, Ripped.  
I couldn't take my eyes off her to be honest.  And not just because she's Kristin Chenoweth. You become so intrigued by the quirkiness of the character you just want to see what she's going to do next.  Or say next.  
I think the only time I may have taken my eyes off her, briefly, was when the porters come on.  They're great.
And the art deco scenery that surrounds is stunning.
I went into this show not knowing much about it, and I have to admit Kristin Chenoweth was a big draw for me.  I've never seen her onstage.
The musical did look colorful and action-packed though, so I thought what the heck.
I ended up loving this show.  And not just for her, but everyone, and everything involved. It all meshes so well, with her performance bringing it all together beautifully.
 "

That sums up my feelings as well. I seriously felt privileged for being able to see her live and in her prime after the show. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#132The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:50pm

I finally saw Kelli O'Hara's performance last night and she was incredible. Tony-worthy in every sense. While I don't see Kristin until next weekend, I really hope Kelli wins.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#133The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:31pm

I'm not seeing Kristin and Kelli until right after the Tonys (Only time we can go), so I can see what the fuss is about with both of them. Can't wait to see the winner!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#134The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 10:51pm

I'm a huuuuge O'hara fan. After I saw the show I tweeted "O'hara could take a poop on stage and I'd still applaud and cry." She's hands down one of my favorites. But this just doesn't seem showy enough or important enough for the Tonys. Especially with Cheno hosting. Chita was great, but again, she just played icey the whole time. I never saw her drop that. Granted I was in the balcony so maybe it was just super subtle. Is the girl from American in Paris a dark horse? Or no? I mean, I love me some Beth Malone as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if she snuck in. Her big moments come towards the end of the show, so that could help in remembering her come voting? 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#135The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/10/15 at 11:51pm

I just don't see where these accusations of Kelli as being bland or lacking in emotion are coming from. Read the reviews. I don't see any such criticisms. Her reviews were only a smidgeon behind KC's and KC's reviews were cumulatively the best ever given to a musical actress on this planet.

This woman is a great talent. She can sing, she can act, she can act while singing. With a few weeks of rehearsal she can appear at the Met with Renee Fleming and get good reviews in a production that the opera intelligentsia were prepared to dislike. I'll bet she could learn tap in a month or two if she had to.

She goes from show to show, pickup up her Tony nomination every year. I guess if she ever wants to be sure of winning one she will have to play Mama Rose in the umpteenth revival of Gypsy.

As for me, I just could not decide between the two women who gave me such pleasure this season. I would declare a dead heat. There is ample precedence for this. In 1967 Leslie Uggams and Patricia Routledge tied for the award, as did Thelma Ritter and Gwen Verdon in 1958.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#136The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/15/15 at 4:48pm

Outer Critics Circle Award: Kristin Chenoweth 

Drama League Award: Chita Rivera

Drama Desk Award: ?

Tony Award: ?

its getting exciting, folks!

ElphieZ
#137The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/15/15 at 5:52pm

Fascinating thread. It's been really interesting reading about everyone's take having just seen both Chita's and Kristen's performances last week. I'm personally pulling for Chita but can see the arguments in favor of all of the other performers. 

rjm516
#138The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 12:32am

I saw On The 20th Century this afternoon and King and I tonight. Reading this board and all the reviews, I went in expecting to be blown away by Kristin, and to love and adore Kelli but not be as impressed with the performance. It was actually the opposite! I'm really shocked because I was not expecting it at all, I had resigned myself to thinking this is another great performance from Kelli but the role of a lifetime for Kristin... but if I were a voter I'd be voting for Kelli!!

ALSO Florence Birdwell was at both shows today as well and I talked to her and just sigh amazing!

theatreguy12
#139The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 4:05am

Perhaps KC was a bit off today.

When I saw OTTC she was phenomenal.  And what she was doing was IMO more challenging than anything I've seen in the role of Anna.

When I was in NY last month I chose not to see TKAI since I've seen it so many times. In fact, I've seen various and sundry performances of the show, including that with LDP and Donna Murphy.  I really do like the show a lot and the music is amazing.  I was actually glad to see it win the Tony for revival.

From the clips I've seen of this show though with KO (and admittedly I didn't see it), I don't really see anything different in her take on Anna than what I've seen before.

What, in your opinion, is different in her take on the part?  Having seen it.

Wallace4
#140The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 8:36am

What competition ???

Tonys are not really a competition. I am sure everyone will be happy no matter who wins 

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#141The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 11:32am

What competition ???

Tonys are not really a competition. I am sure everyone will be happy no matter who wins "

THIS. I'm rooting for either those three talented women to win.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#142The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 11:43am

@theatreguy12 I actually do think O'Hara puts her own spin on the role, and it makes it thrilling to watch. We've all seen The King and I in some capacity before, and that's why I really appreciated all the moments in which Kelli was able to surprise me. I absolutely latched onto her journey and struggle to be taken seriously as a woman. She found many ways of turning scenes into bigger meals than most actresses make them. Her line "you are a barbarian" as she tries to protect Tuptim drew audible gasps from the audience (myself included). 

Having seen all the nominated actresses, what stands in O'Hara's way is perceived "level of difficulty". Chenoweth is a firecracker pinballing non-stop across the stage. She has huge energetic dance numbers, perfect physical comedy, and tremendous songs that showcase her operatic vocals. She IS the show. And taking on hosting duties on top of this perceived work-out will likely win her additional votes. I don't think O'hara is completely out of the running (Anna has been lucky with Tony wins in the past), but Kristin has the edge. 

Rivera was wonderful but will suffer from being in a show not everyone will love. Plus the performance is incredibly subtle. Not that that is a bad thing, I personally loved it. 'Love and Love Alone' is one of the best stage moments of the season. But in terms of parts that generally win awards, I don't think this is "showy" enough. 

Beth Malone is the dark horse I think. She is starring in the best musical frontrunner, she's always on stage, and she gets one of the best songs with Telephone Wire. It also helps that her song and many of her big dramatic moments occur near the shows end so she stays in the viewers mind after leaving the theatre. Can she push past the three well known divas? probably not, but its a very tight race.

Brick
#143The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 12:55pm

^I think you have nailed it.

theatreguy12
#144The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 3:17pm

Yes.  Thank you, MayAudra.   That explains it wonderfully.

What I've heard from performances by O'Hara, she really is a huge talent.  You don't get that many Tony nominations without being a force to be reckoned with.  So not meaning to minimize what she's done here at all.  

And I've always loved The King and I.  The music is just so beautiful and the story compelling.  I wish I had had the chance to see it. 

Unfortunately with the time constraints, I had to pass on one of them.  I really wanted to see Gigi too, but based on some of the things I was reading about that show, had I had the time to see one more I probably would have opted for The King and I over Gigi.

It does sound breathtaking.  And though I'm sure O'Hara is very well-deserving of the Tony, and I'll be happy for her if she gets it.

I just found Chenoweth mind bogglingly great. :)   That rapid fire dialogue, the range in her singing, the lyrics that hardly give her a chance to take a breath, and the acting…..I'd almost have to wonder what else the woman has to do to land a Tony if she doesn't get it.

But then again, I know O'Hara has been nominated several times as well and has not received it yet.  So I'm sure many will wonder what Kelli has to do to get one, as well.

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#145The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/17/15 at 3:25pm

I saw both Kelli and Kristin, though I didn't have time to see The Visit unfortunately. 

I'm a big fan of both of them, but I have to say The King and I and Kelli are the ones that stuck with me more. Kristin was amazing, and her role is definitely more "flashy" than Anna, but I adored the quiet strength that Kelli put in her Anna. 

I also saw Beth Malone, and, as incredibly great as Fun Home was, I feel like she is a little step lower than the other two (three?). Whoever wins will be very deserving, it's the tightest race of the year.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#146The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/19/15 at 12:15am

Florence Birdwell. If that was not the best day of her life, it had to rank up close.

Imagine having two of your students, not from New York or Los Angeles, but from Oklahoma City, starring in two SRO musicals on Broadway at the same time, with both nominated for the Best Actress Tony?

One of those "truth is stranger than fiction" moments.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#147The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/19/15 at 12:33am

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#148The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/19/15 at 12:35am

Three amazing women!

broadwaysfguy
#149The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/19/15 at 2:04am

trending at gold derby favors Kelli....

I absolutely loved both performances and agreed that while Kristins may have required more physically and you COULD NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF HER, Kelli's Anna is sublime elegant, and brought out the best possible interpretation of the role in every possible way.

I wish them both the very best, and may secretly root a little harder for Kelli...she so deserves a Tony award for this performance

wish they would issue one to both of them as a tie for their extraordinary performances this year.

I would go see both shows again in a new york minute, mostly to see these two masters of their craft.....

Videos