pixeltracker

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017- Page 6

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#125Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 5:51pm

or War Paint...

I think it's ultimately about the performance although there's no doubt being in a nominated show helps, which is the only reason I think Benton is a serious contender. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#126Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 6:03pm

I honestly felt Christine was giving a more award deserving performance when I saw war Paint in Chicago. So I would not be upset if someone nabbed a slot from patti.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#127Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 6:14pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I honestly felt Christine was giving a more award deserving performance when I saw war Paint in Chicago. So I would not be upset if someone nabbed a slot from patti."

Yeah, I'm conflicted on this. I'm reminded of last season when everybody was so confident that Audra McDonald would receive a nomination because of her stature... and we all know what happened there. Then again, Patti and Christine are a total duo in this show, so would it be more personal this year if Patti didn't get a nomination? 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#128Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 6:24pm

We could potentially end up with:

Midler, Altomare, Benson, Osnes, and only one War Paint lady.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#129Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 6:27pm

I don't think Audra is a comparable situation. She was very good in an overstuffed show, so therefore a bit easier to overlook. Ebersole and LuPone are almost the entire show and the roles are beautifully crafted for them. Of course it's possible that one or both won't be nominated, but thats true of anyone here. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#130Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:24pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "I don't think Audra is a comparable situation. She was very good in an overstuffed show, so therefore a bit easier to overlook. Ebersole and LuPone are almost the entire show and the roles are beautifully crafted for them. Of course it's possible that one or both won't be nominated, but thats true of anyone here. "

I would add this that last year really did have a surfeit of incredible leading female performances. This year, there are a lot of eligible women, and each have their advocates, but I don't think it's generally as powerful a set of performances as we had last year. This is, I'm sure, hugely influenced by the fact that I was personally underwhelmed by Altomare, Benton, Soo, and War Paint in general and don't think any of the performances could hold a candle to last year's Erivo, Cusack, Benanti, Mueller, and Soo, any of whose performances would be my favorite lead female performance of this season had they actually been this season. It's a wide open field, but I have the (potentially unpopular) opinion that it's because it's a rather weak one, not that we have too many amazing performances to choose from a la last year.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#131Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:34pm

You can't really predict what's going to happen. In 2012, not many expected that Danny Burstein AND Ron Raines would be both be nominated for the CLOSED Follies, so it really wouldn't be a surprise if LuPone and Ebersole take two slots. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#132Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:41pm

Re: Good Performances in a "Problematic" show.

If Carolee Carmello could get a nomination for Scandalous and Jessie Mueller could for On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.... a problematic show is NOT a deciding factor for a performance nomination these days. So don't count out the likes of Osnes, Altomare, and Noblezada in this race. If anything for Osnes and Altomore, it only HELPS their chances if they are a shining light in a bland or flawed show. Noblezada not so much as people have been able to find good in her show other then her. Doesn't help her case that Jon Jon Briones steals the show whenever he is on the stage only helping her to fade into the back of peoples minds.

Updated On: 4/5/17 at 11:41 PM

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#133Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:00am

It is criminal that Annaleigh is not eligible.

AlfieByrne
#134Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/5/17 at 6:56am

Carolee Carmello was already respected as a working actress when she did Scandalous, which helped her secure a nomination in a not-too-competitive year. Christy Altomare? Not at all. And it's not as if her performance will be singled out like it was the case with Mueller in On a Clear Day. Laura Osnes keeps getting work, but I'm not sure if she's THAT popular. She's just not as exciting as, say, Kelli O'hara. Noblezada has the inevitable hurdle of being compared to Lea Salonga, so she's iffy too. I'm pretty sure Denee Benton will be nominated on the basis that Comet is a strong show. And I'm sure that the nominators have to be somewhat conscious about diversity.

With Patti, her presence is quite divisive among the theatre queens; so while I would totally include her in the list of nominees, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else takes that spot.

My guess is Midler, LuPone, Ebersole, Denee Benton, and either Osnes or Noblezada.

froote
#135Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/5/17 at 7:12am

The only undoubtedly strong shows of the ones the potential nominees are starring in are Hello Dolly and Great Comet. Therefore, as Bette is an undeniabe nominee, the only person that strength of show could effect is Denee. 

Birdie Boy Profile Photo
Birdie Boy
#136Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 10:57pm

All musicals now open!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#137Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:05pm

Christy Altomare/Denée Benton

Christine Ebersole- War Paint

Patti Lupone- War Paint

Bette Midler- Hello, Dolly!

Laura Osnes

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#138Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:13pm

Two actors/actresses being nominated from the same show is not rare. In just the past 15 years we've seen it for THE BOOK OF MORMON, KINKY BOOTS, FOLLIES, HAMILTON, and WICKED. I'm sure there are more I can't remember. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#139Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:44pm

Coming from a huge Great Comet fan and someone who has seen the show twice on Broadway thus far (once in previews and once this past March), I really wouldn't be horribly surprised if Denée didn't get nominated. It wasn't that she was bad, or even mediocre by any means---it's merely that the supporting cast is just so dazzling and attention-grabbing that she kind of gets drowned out in the noise.

For example, the star of the show imo has always been Lucas Steele (though Groban, Gray, Ashford, and McLean also play very memorable characters). I saw TGC once with him and once with his understudy and though the u/s was lovely, he didn't take the show over like Steele did, and I found myself paying more attention to other supporting characters, but still not Denée. Her character is quite necessary to the plot, obviously, but she felt more like a vehicle to drive us through other more interesting and well-performed subplots that I wish were more focused on as opposed to Natasha. 

Honestly, I think the only way she'd get nominated is from riding the Great Comet wave. But I guess we'll find out soon!  

(This is not to say anything against Denée; I've met her and she's a lovely person, and a fine actress. I just don't think she's much of a stand-out in this show.) 

BwayinVan
#140Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:50pm

I just came from seeing Miss Saigon tonight And I have to say, Eva Noblezada is giving a fantastic performance as Kim. She absolutely wrecked me and I really hope she gets a nomination. I would be pleasantly surprised if she won but her performance is deserving of the recognition 

Birdie Boy Profile Photo
Birdie Boy
#141Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:52pm

I think Bette Midler, Christine Ebersole, Patti Lupone, and Laura Osnes will be nominated. Eva, Denee, Christy, or Pippa will take the last spot.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#142Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:55pm

BwayinVan said: "I just came from seeing Miss Saigon tonight And I have to say, Eva Noblezada is giving a fantastic performance as Kim. She absolutely wrecked me and I really hope she gets a nomination. I would be pleasantly surprised if she won but her performance is deserving of the recognition 

"

I agree.  She sings the hell out of the score and gives a very passionate performance.

Also, Denee is kind of stuck with the straight "man" role, but her acting is fantastic.  Her final scene should guarantee her a nomination.  She does more than just sing pretty.  She's a great actress who has really grown into the show.  Frankly, I don't see Laura or Christy breaking into the nominations even though they are both giving beautiful performances.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#143Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:00am

I'm speaking on behalf of my friends (since I've yet to see the show), but from what I hear, it's hard to imagine Christy Altomare not getting a nomination. The entire show is on her shoulders.

Birdie Boy Profile Photo
Birdie Boy
#144Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:17am

In terms of reviews, Soo and Osnes got much better notices than Noblezada, Benton, and Altomare who all received pretty mediocre reviews.

Trish2
#145Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:21am

If there was a choice between Altomare and Osnes, my vote goes to the former. She's received accolades for her singing--especially for the familiar songs. Osnes is unfortunately saddled with an under-developed role , in a so-so show, with with no major review rewards. I imagine ANASTASIA will be around for a longer haul than BANDSTAND as well.

Updated On: 4/27/17 at 12:21 AM

Birdie Boy Profile Photo
Birdie Boy
#146Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:49am

Anastasia will no question be around longer, but that of course doesn't mean it's going to get nominations. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well.

curel1
#147Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:54am

Birdie Boy said: "In terms of reviews, Soo and Osnes got much better notices than Noblezada, Benton, and Altomare who all received pretty mediocre reviews.

"

?? While Anastasia may have received mixed reviews, Christy definitely did not

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#148Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:55am

My guesses:

Christy Altomare, Anastasia

Denee Benton, The Great Comet of 1812

Bette Midler, Hello Dolly

Eva Noblezada, Miss Saigon

Laura Osnes, Bandstand

Birdie Boy Profile Photo
Birdie Boy
#149Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:57am

Wow, you must have really hated War Paint.

Videos