pixeltracker

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY- Page 6

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#125BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/16/18 at 6:16pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Oddly, the breakdown doesn't specify that Maria must be a Hispanic actress, although that might go without saying at this point."

I have a few casting announcements within the past year that could tell you otherwise...

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#126BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/16/18 at 6:47pm

I can't imagine that Rudin or anyone on tbe team for this production would allow a non-latin performer to be cast in any of the latin parts.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#127BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/17/18 at 4:18pm

Leaked B-roll footage of the new production!

https://youtu.be/hZ22AejeSII

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#128BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/19/18 at 11:49am

adamgreer said: "Leaked B-roll footage of the new production!

"

OH WOW. Now that is a production I'm all for. I love when people get crazy and experimental with musical revivals and that is literally out of this world. I want to talk with the director and try to learn more about the vision and purpose behind this one!!! I know it was meant to be a joke, but I'm seriously curious about this one now!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#129BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:12pm

When I saw the last revival's touring production, I was apprehensive about seeing the show with both "I Feel Pretty" and "Officer Krupke" taking place after the rumble. But then on stage, it sort of made sense. It allowed the tension to break a bit (since there's an intermission already causing a break in the flow and tension). Plus the way they sang "Officer Krupke" started out silly but it ended in a very angry, frustrated tone with the way the teens/young adults felt about their treatment thus far by all the adult figures in their lives and being analyzed as if they were not real people but just statistics to be spoken about.

Anyway, I think the reordering works well on film because they were able to keep the tension going and have it build and build with "Cool" being such a great number to really show off that tension and anger.

I get what some traditionalists are saying. West Side Story was specifically created by Bernstein, Laurents, Sondheim, and Robbins. All of their brains working together to create a whole. The choreography was so integral to the storytelling that changing it is like making changes to the music, lyrics, and book as well. This was a product of the director-choreographer being as much of an author as the book writer, lyricist/composer. While we're making changes, I wonder if they should change "America" to the way the film did or at least adapt it a bit. I kind of think the movie's message criticizing the U.S. rather than Puerto Rico (the way it is on stage) would resonate a lot more these days. Plus, it makes what happens to Anita more tragic as she was bending over backwards telling her friends how much she loves America.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing WSS in a new way.

Updated On: 7/19/18 at 04:12 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#130BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:20pm

"

Ok, this looks absolutely horrific on so many levels. 

One thing about the ballet choreography looking silly criticism that I don't get is that why isn't the whole idea of them singing silly as well? We all know what singing in musicals and what dancing in musicals are supposed to symbolize. Is it because the score was written for sort of non-singers outside of Tony/Maria/Anita so it's ok that they sing in scene the way that they do? I sort of think the sheer athleticism required for the Robbins choreography is pretty exciting myself.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#131BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/19/18 at 5:30pm

"

I'll take this over another dusty ****ing remake of the original.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#132BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/16/19 at 6:28pm

Are there any rumors as to who will be in the cast or does anyone have a Dreamcast for this production?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

natashalost
#133BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/16/19 at 7:13pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Are there any rumors as to who will be in the cast or does anyone have a Dreamcast for this production?"

I would do anything to see Solea Pfeiffer as Maria and Jeremy Jordan as Tony again after seeing them at the Hollywood Bowl, although some may say they are too old.

Ana Villafañe as Anita, Ektor Rivera (he may be too old too) as Bernardo, Ruben J. Carbajal as Chino.

As for the ensemble, I would love to see Carlos E. Gonzalez, Max Clayton, Linedy Genao, Jerusha Cavazos, Kalyn West, Jose Rosario, Jr., Carleigh Bettiol, Ryan Vasquez, and Colby Dezelick 

Updated On: 1/20/19 at 07:13 PM

natashalost
#134BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 12:40pm

So according to this article, they are still looking for Maria, Anita, Bernardo, and dancers. I wonder if they've cast Tony yet...

http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-revival-of-west-side-story-continues-search-for-latinx-performers-for-roles-of-maria-anita-bernardo

I know they did a workshop recently, which had some great dancers such as Carlos E. Gonzalez, Yesenia Ayala, Andrei Chagas, Tanairi Vasquez, Chris P. Hernandez, Chris Medlin, Ben Cook, Kevin Csolak, Melanie Moore, Curtis Holland, Ahmad Simmons, Michelle Mercedes, Ricky Ubeda, and many more dancers I don't happen to recognize from photos. 

Here's a couple if anyone recognizes the others:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqjENkhf_-/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqRZ4fhycF/

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#135BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 3:46pm

Corey Cott did an incredible Tony in DC, and he's doing the role in Chicago this Spring.  He is perfect in the role, and he sings the score beautifully. I hope it's him.  

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#136BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 3:53pm

I'd love to see Casey Cott make his Broadway Debut as Tony in this. I think he'd be perfect, but I doubt his Riverdale schedule would allow it :/

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#137BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 3:58pm

bwayboy22 said: "I'd love to see Casey Cott make his Broadway Debut as Tony in this. I think he'd be perfect, but I doubt his Riverdale schedule would allow it :/"

No.  Casey Cott has a fine voice and can carry a tune, but Tony requires much more than that.  This is not his role.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#138BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:04pm

Uhhhh. COREY Cott. Broadway actor?  Not his brother who is a TV actor and can't sing.  Big difference.  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#139BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:05pm

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/29/19 at 04:05 PM

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#140BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:06pm

I know you said Corey. But Casey can sing as well, they both graduated from Carnegie Mellon, and in my opinion Casey has just as good a voice as his brother.

Updated On: 1/20/19 at 04:06 PM

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#141BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:11pm

Corey is a singer and Broadway actor.  He is an incredible singer and works on stage.  Casey is not a singer, and he is not on Broadway for a reason.  No one was talking about Casey. 

Corey will do the role twice in two years come Spring.  He works on Broadway. He has turned down many television roles to work on stage. He doesn't have a full time job working for television. So, it absolutely won't be his brother.

Anyways, I hope they have already chosen a very strong Tony, hopefully it's Corey.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#142BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:13pm

bwayboy22 said: "I know you said Corey. But Casey can sing as well, they both graduated from Carnegie Mellon, and in my opinionCasey has just as good a voice as his brother."

I believe that people are entitled to their opinions, but this is just wrong.  I've heard both sing numerous times live and they're not comparable.  Yes, Casey is sweet and he is on a hit show, but if you want the best production (and why wouldn't anyone want the best production possible), Casey Cott is not Tony.

CedricOates
#143BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:15pm

What are the chances that Rachel Zegler will star in the movie and then make her broadway debut in the same role for this production? I think it would make sense, judging that they could market her as one of her stars of the movie

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#144BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:19pm

I believe that people are entitled to their opinions, but this is just wrong.  I've heard both sing numerous times live and they're not comparable.  

Thank you.

GeorgeandDot
#145BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:31pm

I hope it's a cast of unknowns. I'd like to not see anyone pushing 30 play these roles. I have no interest in seeing some beige, boring glorified chorus boy who is too old for the part.
There are too many great young actors coming out of high school and undergrad programs to cast someone like Corey Cott (meh).

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#146BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:57pm

He's a name on Broadway, they need one, he has a good fan base and he's amazing. So, yeah. He is not too old for the part considering Tony is supposed to be in his early to mid 20s,  He looks the part.

Newsies was filmed with a 31 year old Jeremy Jordan who was playing a 17 year old Jack. It works just fine.

Updated On: 1/20/19 at 04:57 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#147BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 5:03pm

Unless Im missing something, Jordan is only 34 now.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#148BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 5:20pm

I have no idea what you mean by that but I was mistaken regarding his age when it was filmed in 2016, which I corrected.  

Updated On: 1/20/19 at 05:20 PM

GeorgeandDot
#149BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 6:47pm

Both are too old for the part and you're delusional if you think Corey Cott is a "name." West Side Story doesn't need a name to sell tickets. The name of the show is a name enough, especially if it has good word of mouth.

Also this is an Ivo Van Hove production. I wouldn't expect to see conventional casting. I doubt you'll be seeing your favorite <<edited by BWW staff>> chorus boy in the lead role.

Updated On: 1/20/19 at 06:47 PM

Videos