pixeltracker

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews- Page 6

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews

swingmode
#125BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 1:27am

I think it's interesting to see how "fandom" or "stan culture" is beginning to play a role in broadway (or, arguably, less of a role than people assume it would). 

For example, you have shows like HP where a large part of the young, internet fanbase kind of rejected the script when it first came out. But the show itself is thriving and has no end in sight.

Or situations like Cody Simpson replacing Zach Adkins from Anastasia, where stan twitter was literally trying to hold boycotts. But yet he's drawing in a large chunk of the audience every night. 

Then you have shows like BMC that have a huge internet fanbase but are struggling. 

Stan twitter and tumblr's opinions don't seem to be nearly as significant as they think they are. 

That said, I do plan to give the show a chance and this isn't hate toward the show itself. I've listened to the cast recording and most of it's pretty meh, but there are definitely a few numbers that I think would be worth it to see live alone. But I do think this shows fanbase is actually hurting it more than helping it. 

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#126BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 2:30am

swingmode said: "I think it's interesting to see how "fandom" or "stan culture" is beginning to play a role in broadway (or, arguably, less of a role than people assume it would).

I think the internet as a whole is becoming a major factor in the industry. I know producers and casting directors are really considering internet influencers as a major factor when it comes to casting actors in major productions. Resumes are starting to list Instagram handles and # of followers. I have friends in the industry that have told me straight up that certain actors in their productions have been cast because of their internet following and not their talent whatsoever, since internet followings means more ticket revenue.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#127BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 2:30am

Do you guys think this show gets a Broadway cast recording in a few months time?

I think realistically it will, as most Broadway musicals do anyways, but the original is such a big part of what got the show to where it is today, I feel like it’d be a bit difficult to market. I hope those producers know what they’re doing.

Just a thought, though.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#128BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 2:48am

DiscoCrows said: "Do you guys think this show gets a Broadway cast recording in a few months time?

I think realistically it will, as most Broadway musicals do anyways, but the original is such a big part of what got the show to where it is today, I feel like it’d be a bit difficult to market. I hope those producers know what they’re doing.

Just a thought, though.
"

I don't think they're getting a cast recording- I think they're getting an audio leaked on Tumblr. Especially considering the first preview off-broadway had 3 audios floating around within a week. 

This absolutely is a jab at the fact that the rise of BMC was assisted by an audio of the Two River production.

swingmode
#129BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 3:07am

Ledaero said: "swingmode said: "I think it's interesting to see how "fandom" or "stan culture" is beginning to play a role in broadway (or, arguably, less of a role than people assume it would).

I think the internet as a whole is becoming a major factor in the industry. I know producers and casting directors are really considering internet influencers as a major factor when it comes to casting actors in major productions. Resumes are starting to list Instagram handles and # of followers. I have friends in the industry that have told me straight up that certain actors in their productions have been cast because of their internet following and not their talent whatsoever, since internet followings means more ticket revenue.
"

Oh, I agree for sure that it influences decisions. That's why BMC was brought to Broadway in the first place. That's also why I find it so interesting, because I'm not sure the results will match up to the expectation.

herewegoabc
#130BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 10:33am

Audio bootlegs on Tumblr will have zero effect on whether this gets a recording.

I'd say the chances of this NOT getting an official Broadway cast recording are slim to none. It will be just as, if not more, marketable than the majority of shows that get recordings.

There are new songs (one of which has already been released in an official capacity), and half of the show (including the lead) are performers who did not appear on the Two Rivers recording.

a12la
#131BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 12:04pm

herewegoabc said: "Audio bootlegs on Tumblr will have zero effect on whether this gets a recording.

I'd say the chances of this NOT getting an official Broadway cast recording are slim to none. It will be just as, if not more, marketable than the majority of shows that get recordings.

There are new songs (one of which has already been released in an official capacity), and half of the show (including the lead) are performers who did not appear on the Two Rivers recording.
"

There's only one new song, and it's the one they already released. Still think there's gonna be a new recording though. I would say it's on par with Great Comet with the amount of changes.

herewegoabc
#132BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 12:13pm

At least so far in the previews, there are reports of a new song called Sync Up. I have not seen the Broadway production yet, I'm just going off of reports here and other places.

Updated On: 2/17/19 at 12:13 PM

alex814
#133BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 3:10pm

DiscoCrows said: "Do you guys think this show gets a Broadway cast recording in a few months time?

Just a thought, though.
"

I can see a new Broadway cast recording happening but keeping costs low by getting the masters of the original recordings and replacing the vocals. 

whatdoesntkillme
#134BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 3:17pm

alex814 said: 
"I can see a new Broadway cast recording happening but keeping costs low by getting the masters of the original recordings and replacing the vocals."

I believe the show was significantly reorchestrated, though, so I doubt they would make that move. 

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#135BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 3:20pm

Regarding the cast recording, it’s a little early to tell, cast recordings cost money. Once grosses in a few weeks are released we can see.

I don’t see a need for them to do a new one, since not much has changed.

But who knows!

Braniff Forever
#136BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 4:22pm

Since the reactions to BMC have been mixed here at best, what do you think the producers/director/marketing team can do differently to make the show a success?

Do songs need to be added? Taken away? Running time shortened? How much can a show really change in previews before the opening night?

What do you believe would make this show a great success?

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#137BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 9:25pm

New marketing Canon TSQ. Maybe some TV Spots..cut AT LEAST 2 songs from act 1.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Braniff Forever
#138BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 9:30pm

Yes, I think it would be better if it was shorter. I wonder if there’s a way to make it 90 minutes? You know, if their target audience is younger people, don’t they have a shorter attention span than older people?
(But I’m older and I like, too, shorter shows that end in 90 or 100 minutes with no intermission)

YvanEhtNioj
#139BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 9:35pm

You know what's funny is that the younger people didn't seem to mind the show length when I saw it (the teens). It was people my age 25+ who were looking checked out. The younger crowd were getting their life during the show..

I think it needs to cut a couple songs from act 1 and maybe some dialouge in order to make it better prior to opening.

herewegoabc
#140BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 9:56pm

When I saw it off-Broadway,I actually felt like it was Act 2 that dragged some. Specifically The Pants Song. It felt pointless and seemed way too long. I also feel like Pitiful Children could benefit from being cut down a little bit.

YvanEhtNioj, where is the new song, Synced Up, located? I saw that you felt it was one of the parts that dragged.

10086sunset
#141BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 9:58pm

Towards the end of the first act, I kept asking myself the same question. "Why is this show so long?"

There's no reason it's running close to 2:45. It really does the show a disservice. 

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#142BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 10:48pm

When I heard they added Loser Geek Whatever as the Act I finale during the off-Broadway run last summer, I was surprised because a) Upgrade functions as a perfectly fine Act I closer, and b) the first act seems to run way too long anyway. If they've added another new song, does anyone know where in the show it is?

also, if George Salazar is on vocal rest, did anyone here see Troy as Michael either yesterday or today? How is he? 

#143BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 10:52pm

According to IBDB, Synced Up is between Be More Chill Part 2 and A Guy that I'd Kinda Be Into.

I feel like Loser Geek Whatever is far too long and doesn't tell us anything new about Jeremy. Couldn't they just add a verse to Upgrade?

YvanEhtNioj
#144BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 10:55pm

STANS DON'T FIGHT ME..but I saw Troy and based on his performance vs what I've seen of George (from clips). I prefer him. His rendition of Michael in the Bathroom was remarkable, and he feels more believable as a teen. 

Updated On: 2/17/19 at 10:55 PM

YvanEhtNioj
#145BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 11:01pm

And I agree Loser, Geek, Whatever is far too long. I stopped caring about the character..

Updated On: 2/17/19 at 11:01 PM

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#146BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/17/19 at 11:17pm

Saw the show on Saturday and I loved it. Definitely could benefit from some cutting down, I was not a fan of the new song “Synced Up”, but I do think it was important to adding layers to some of the characters. Troy Iwata was a PHENOMENAL Michael, and I agree with YvanEhtNioj, I prefer him to George Salazar. Stage door was hectic but manageable, no bad stories or anything.

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

theaterlyfe19
#147BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/18/19 at 5:22am

herewegoabc said: "When I saw it off-Broadway,I actually felt like it was Act 2 that dragged some. Specifically The Pants Song. It felt pointless and seemed way too long. I also feel like Pitiful Children could benefit from being cut down a little bit.

YvanEhtNioj, where is the new song, Synced Up, located? I saw that you felt it was one of the parts that dragged.
"

Oh my goodness I wish they cut The Pants song. So weird. They could’ve gone without it. 

Braniff Forever
#148BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/18/19 at 5:45am

How common isi it for the creative team to cut or add songs in previews? Do you think they are aware that most people think the show is too long?

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#149BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/18/19 at 9:54am

Braniff Forever said: "How common isi it for the creative team to cut or add songs in previews? Do you think they are aware that most people think the show is too long?"

I've found it's pretty rare for shows to make extensive changes in previews. It's more of fine-tuning. Besides time restraints, getting a universal agreement to cut things/kill your darlings is a tough thing. I imagine especially at BMC, where they're such a tight-knit group, I doubt anyone is going to do serious work on it.

However, I do know that Superhero at 2ST has been cutting songs/characters left and right (thankfully). My friend saw it the other day, and apparently saw a very different show than I did it's first week.

Videos