BJR
#125Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/1/23 at 2:36pm

This is looks so interesting. I wish I could see it

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#127Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 7:45am

This keeps getting more exciting. I’m one of the few that truly embraces re-imagining properties instead of sticking to the traditional all the time. The originals still hold their place in history and can be recreated at any time but it’s refreshing when someone deconstructs and re-imagines material. It’s not going to ruin lives or cause the next pandemic so people need to chill a bit instead of getting worked up and writing long essays with their personal assessments. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#128Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 7:48am

And famously, when Patti tells the story of asking for more vamp to cover Norma going up the stairs, ALW wouldn't add any measures. So, tiny Patti had to sprint up the stairs.

I imagine it would go in reverse, and he'd be uninterested in cutting now-unnecessary scene change coverage.

Curious how a production like this handles it!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#129Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:20am

Well I'll report back here after the first preview if you want. 

pmensky
#130Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:25am

Jordan Catalano said: "An intimacy coach has been hired to help with the sex scenes.

wut.
"

Maybe they added a scene where Norma goes full Boebert on Joe in the back of the Isotta Fraschini on the way to Paramount.

Jordan Catalano
#131Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:28am

Or maybe that’s how the monkey died…

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#132Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:49am

I kind of love that they're going full on sultry, sexy Sunset Blvd, but it also doesn't quite make sense with the plot of the show... so I'm very curious. We've got no set. But lots of heat. Okay.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#133Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 8:55am

Jordan Catalano said: "Well I'll report back here after the first preview if you want."

Please do Jordan! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

AEA AGMA SM
#134Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 10:49am

Jordan Catalano said: "An intimacy coach has been hired to help with the sex scenes.

wut.
"

I’m not sure why this is a “wut” moment other than the headline. There is a lot of intimacy built in to the show, and intimacy directors do a lot more than choreograph sex scenes. 

Intimacy directors are becoming standard now for most shows that require intimate contact. This ranges from hugs to kissing to simulated sex acts. The article attempts to paint the hiring of one in a much more prurient light, while ignoring the very “insider” quote that they include in the article. 

“Intimacy coordinators are mandatory now because actors need to feel safe with their co-stars. In the past, people were taken advantage of, with actors crossing boundaries on stage. A coach helps to ensure no lines are blurred which helps stamp out sexual harassment in the entertainment industry”

Updated On: 9/18/23 at 10:49 AM

Jordan Catalano
#135Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:04am

"But I can reveal Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger has been working with an intimacy coach to help her with sex scenes ahead of her new role in London’s West End."

Adding sex scenes (plural) to the musical, I thought, deserved a "wut". 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#136Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:15am

^I mean this 'journalist' clearly doesn't really understand or know what they are reporting on.

AEA AGMA SM
#137Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:15am

Eh, it’s just a standard click-bait headline. Their conclusion that there are sex scenes being added because the production hired an intimacy director is a big leap considering the work an intimacy director does encompasses far more than just simulated sex scenes.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#139Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 11:29am

I can sort of picture what we are going to get and I know it’ll be basic but I’m kind of into it. One of my favorite scores so as long as it sounds lush I think the minimal sexy approach could work. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#140Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 12:53pm

If Norma is sexy, I wonder how that will change the dynamics. Isn't she supposed to be a garish gorgon? Why would Joe leave if she's a hot and rich? Aren't many people neurotic and still in relationships? I always thought she represented a deep sadness that repelled and scared him. We'll see what they do with that.

Maybe "Happy New Year Darling" will be followed by some snogging in Jamie Lloyd's vision thus facilitating an intimacy coach

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#141Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 12:59pm

Norma is delusional, possessive, and controlling. Those are qualities that many people run away from, no matter how physically attractive the other person is.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#142Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 1:16pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Norma is delusional, possessive, and controlling. Those are qualities that many people run away from, no matter how physically attractive the other person is."

^ Exactly - which is what makes me excited about this approach to bring a new generation to appreciate one of ALW's most beautiful scores.  The "silent pictures" angle is lost on this generation.  If they have a way of highlighting the psychological aspects, the story can become very compelling in a different way

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#143Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 1:21pm

I mean the movie still holds up. I think the psycho-break she has could be interesting. And let's be honest - not to spoil anything - but he doesn't end up with her because... you know... the whole being shot thing.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#144Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 1:34pm

I wonder if it does well enough that it could do a New York run at a non-Broadway space (BAM, Park Avenue Armory, The Shed, etc.), there isn't need for a New York revival but if there's enough love for it then maybe they can plan a limited run somewhere in the city.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Dylan Smith4
#145Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 1:55pm

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "I wonder if it does well enough that it could do a New York run at a non-Broadway space (BAM, Park Avenue Armory, The Shed, etc.), there isn't need for a New York revival but if there's enough love for it then maybe they can plan a limited run somewhere in the city."

I'd love to see this come across the pond, as I missed this by a couple of months! There's some great theatre playing in London this fall! Can't wait to go back soon!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

nasty_khakis
#146Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:47pm

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "I wonder if it does well enough that it could do a New York run at a non-Broadway space (BAM, Park Avenue Armory, The Shed, etc.), there isn't need for a New York revival but if there's enough love for it then maybe they can plan a limited run somewhere in the city."

No chance. Webber would likely only want to bring a "celebrated (if it is)"/"bold new reimagining" production to win awards. I'm prepared to be wrong and this could end up at BAM and just give Webber "street cred" or whatever but he likes awards, good reviews, and money.

OhHiii
#147Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/21/23 at 9:18am

First photo of Nicole as Norma was posted on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxdHIh4IKiw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

TBH, this is thrilling to me. ALW is not one to experiment with his work and to go in such a radical direction is exciting.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#148Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/21/23 at 9:44am

There is NOTHING that could have prepared me for that photo. 

Dylan Smith4
#149Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/21/23 at 10:00am

My god! WOW!

Videos