pixeltracker

Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07- Page 6

Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

Chrysanthemum62001
#125re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:42pm

I am thrilled beyond beleif about Company. But still, it would have been nice to see Sweeney stay around a while. It was the ideal theatre experience.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#126re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 12:51pm

exactly...I really wanted to have a Doyle day and do Sweeney in the afternoon and then Company in the evening re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

matt schneider
#127re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 1:05pm

DANG, I really wanted to see it again. Does anyone know about were the tour is going to go? That may be my only chance to see it again.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying
Updated On: 7/31/06 at 01:05 PM

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#128re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 1:07pm

For my last trip to New York this was at the top of my must see list. It was simply an amazing show. The group that went with me to see Sweeney were all stunned at how incredible the performance was. We all knew we were seeing theater history first-hand, and I am so glad I was am to be in attendance.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#130re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 2:32pm

It is sad to see it go. I think I'll catch it wednesday. Glad it had such a nice run.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Johnnytoc
#131re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 2:38pm

So does this mean they won't replace Alexander Gemignani and just let his understudy take over from when he leaves until closing?

MOXIEINTHECITY
#132re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 2:59pm

Probably. That makes sense.

Although I still say the cast knew about this awhile ago. I just don't buy that they heard yesterday. That may be what they tell people, but what are they going to say? "Oh, well we knew a month ago but we wanted people to keep buying tickets?"

The sales have been dipping since just after the Tony's with maybe a one/two week spike. The cast had to have been told at least a month ago.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#133re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:13pm

You do realize that casts get closing notice often with much less than a month to prepare? It's completely realistic that the cast just found out yesterday -- I don't believe it was probably a shock to them, but as far as finding out the date for sure. If they wanted to keep people buying tickets, they'd announce closing right away, in an "This is your last chance to see the show" effort, I would think.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#134re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:14pm

They DID find out yesterday. The producers met yesterday morning to discuss the decision (I'm sure people can verify that this is true). The cast was told before the show.

Not that it makes any difference.

But that's the truth.

ETA: That's true, sweetestsiren. :)

Updated On: 7/31/06 at 03:14 PM

C is for Company
#135re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:19pm

Sorry Sweetsiren and BroadwayChica, thanks for clearing things up, but I'm sure that many on this board would still rather prefer to speculate and make up their own story instead of being told the truth and believing that.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#137re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:33pm

one of the quick recent closings that comes to mind is "little women"...that cast had to have been relativley shocked. if i remember correctly they told them on tuesday that the show was closing that sunday.

*sigh*...i'm sure whether they knew already or speculated or whatever, it still sucks. i was really hoping that once they extended patti and michael's contracts that the show would make it till november. i too was hoping for a double feature day, with sweeney in one slot and company in the other...

BOO re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#138re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 3:46pm

I'm hoping to see this show one last time on either August 29 or 30. It's the only possible dates I can go. And I'll likely not see the tourn since Broadway shows usually don't tour right next to NYC.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#139re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:26pm

i'll be there for the last show too row e center.

GoodbyeMyLover Profile Photo
GoodbyeMyLover
#140re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/31/06 at 11:54pm

I hope the tour stops by me. It looks like an incredible show.

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul." - Marilyn Monroe

#141re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:06am

I would so much rather see this amazing show go out on top (well, uh, not at rock bottom anyway) than for the grosses to continue a somewhat steady decline. Granted, I had already resigned myself to not seeing it again. Hopefully the closing notice will increase ticket sales a bit for the show to end on a even higher note.

People seem worried in general about the cast, but that doesn't make too much sense to me. They're a talented bunch, and I can't imagine them falling off the planet. No, there won't be a definite show every night, at least for a while, with Michael or Mano or Donna or whomever, but it's probably for the best that they're going to do some new things as well.

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#142re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:19am

I just hope the cast receives a nice send off, in a room full of love and support. I'm sure that will be the case. Closing night should be quite the event.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#144re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 8/1/06 at 9:21am

i'm going!
its gonna be my next illustration project!!!!

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#145re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 8/1/06 at 3:58pm

Yea! Just ordered tickets for Sweeney.....row A on the left on the inside aisle! I"m so excited!!!!

Videos