pixeltracker

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival- Page 7

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#150Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 12:00am

Wow, I think Lea Salonga is completely wrong for this in every way possible and it has absolutely nothing with the fact she's Asian.
I thought Lady Gaga said she went to a performing arts high school when she was on Larry King or something but I guess not, thanks for all the info guys, it's really interesting. I think it'd be amazing if she did this. I keep alternating songs from the FUNNY GIRL cast recording with such things as "Speechless," "Love Game," and "Bad Romance" Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#151Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 12:17am

I believe that Gaga will, FUNNY GIRL or not, be the next major star to win all the major awards...Grammy, Oscar, Tony, Golden Globe, etc. She's got the talent, drive, and support.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#152Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 12:24am

The show might run over two and a half hours, with all the encores... Suddenly turns into a Gaga concert in Ziegfeld Follies style (well, her concerts basically already looks like that)! Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#153Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 12:58am

OMG, he'll be so funny, gurl!

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#154Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 3:31pm

I have complete faith in Bartlett Sher.

And I can't imagine that Lea wouldn't be their first choice at this point, or at least very high up on the list. I'd love to see her in the role.

max2paradise
#155Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 4:16pm

Would it be really crazy to suggest Beyonce? She's said she wants to do Broadway if the right role came along at the right time, she's a documented Streisand fan, and she's certainly a name that would merit being above the title in a revival of this scale.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#156Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 4:23pm

Beyonce is a lot of things - but a funny, Jewish girl from Brooklyn she is not.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#157Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 5:00pm

I say.... Jennifer Holiday as Fanny, Julie Andrews as Mrs. Brice and TR Knight as Nicky. I smell a TONY!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#158Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 5:38pm

I swear some of you are so clueless. Names are tossed around with no consideration as to what's required for the character or the show itself. I'd go as far as to say some of you who have suggested people like, Beyoncé and Lea Salonga (!) have no idea who Fanny Brice was or Funny Girl as a show. Yes, you may know about it, but knowing about it and actually knowing it are two different things. If some of you had any knowledge about it at all then you wouldn't in all seriousness be making such laughable casting suggestions.

But keep it comin' because I need a good laugh now and then.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#159Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 5:52pm

Marquise, I think I love you. Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#160Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 5:55pm

Awww..you jus' made me blush. And it's very hard to do that. Thank you. Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#161Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 6:57pm

Thank you, Marquise.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#162Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 7:13pm

You're welcome "munks".

spencspenc Profile Photo
spencspenc
#163Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 8:08pm

CELIA KEENAN-BOLGER. C'MON PEOPLE! she's really cute and is pretty but can look plain like fanny. she's perfect.

I could get a few death threats with this one, but..sutton foster?

Initially, I think Leslie would be my first choice, however, Celia is VERY close as a second choice.

Steph J is my girl. I think she CAN act and CAN sing and CAN give you face..but i feel like she's too tall? idk...

spencspenc Profile Photo
spencspenc
#164Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 8:11pm

I also think Stephanie Umoh would be awesome as Fanny. Young, but her voice would sell parade.

ANALEIS VAN DER POL (last belle on broadway)
she.would.be.DYNAMITE

PauloFanClem
#165Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/10/10 at 8:36pm

As I said before, let them surprise me.

And yes, Marquise, I re-read the materials about Fanny and watched back the movie, and my saying of Lea Salonga is a mistake. Sorry. I think I'm just too desperate to see her again. :P

P.S. Haha... so funny, TimeSquared. Let's keep it then.

Updated On: 6/10/10 at 08:36 PM

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#166Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 8:47am

"The producers' comments about Lea Michelle were deflective at best. Also, isn't she a little pretty for Fanny? Ah, well...it's not something I would go see anyway"

if they can put a prosthetic nose on Nicole Kidman to play Virginia W... they can ugly up Lea, but not only do i not think they necessarily want her but can she contractually do it?

"it's a dirty little war"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#167Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 8:53am

I also think Stephanie Umoh would be awesome as Fanny.

Do you really not get it?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#168Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 9:23am

I actually believe that people off the street who had never seen or even heard of a musical before could make better casting suggestions for Fanny Brice than many of these here.

For those of you who think race isn't a part of this role or this show, you don't know Fanny Brice. It's as ludicrous as suggesting a white girl play Effie or an Asian girl play Coalhouse Walker Jr.

Fanny was most definitely Jewish, and I don't just mean her lineage. She came from the Lower East Side, and grew up in and around the Yiddish theatre scene. You can't cast all the lily-white "Doris Day" types of this generation, or other ethnics, and have her life story make any sense at all.

Fanny was a breakthrough star. No one from the Yiddish theatre roots had made it quite so big back then. And while they don't hammer that point home in the play or movie, it is the root of Fanny's story. She was unique to mainstream audiences. She was not your typical star of the Ziegfeld Follies or any other Broadway stage. That's what made her special. She broke the convention and managed to rise to the top of her game, regardless.

Casting anyone who doesn't "represent" is an insult to Brice and her story.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#169Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 9:33am

^ perfectly said. and i loved the story. you described it to a tee.

"it's a dirty little war"

Mateo2
#170Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 12:01pm

You are correct best12bars about casting Fanny. Being a big Diana DeGarmo fan, I was going to suggest that she should play Fanny, but after reading your post, I do not think it’s that good of an idea. Can she be funny? No doubt. Can she sing the score? Absolutely. But a Jewish girl from the lower east side? I do not think so.

Diana was considered for playing Fanny in a regional theater revival of “Funny Girl” but that was regional theater and not Broadway.

"The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived". Oscar Wilde, A Woman of No Importance, Act 3

PauloFanClem
#171Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 12:34pm

Right so, best12bars. After watching the movie recently, I know what you are talking about. I was also because I'm big fan for Lea Salonga that I suggested her. Now, I totally cannot see her in those shoes. I think at this time only Gaga can fit the role, or they need to do really intensive search for this role, which I won't be surprise, since they had searched for Emile DeBecque for over a year. Again, let them surprise me.
Updated On: 6/11/10 at 12:34 PM

jimmycurry01
#172Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 2:12pm

Eventually Lea's character will have to graduate from high school, which could happen by 2012, or she could be done with the show long before then if it gets canceled first. I'm not saying she is a good choice for the role right now, but two years down the line, and with a kick ass director, who knows?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#173Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 2:20pm

Just to add to what Best12 said, the other factor that seems imperative in casting the role is that despite her unconventional looks and blatant Jewish ethnicity, in a time when such things were routinely frowned up by high brow audiences, Fanny Brice was known for having a certain glamour and sophistication. Its actually these qualities, more than any of the real Brice's other characteristics, that Streisand best embodied.

A lot of the woman suggested in this thread don't really have that quality, and it really is a big part of the character.

PauloFanClem
#174Funny Girl, With Sherman Hemsley, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/11/10 at 2:33pm

I think it's fate that back at that time, they found Barbra to play this role. I do find Barbra has the glamorous star quality, yet unconventionally straightforward in personality. I wonder whether they can find another person that has both. I bet this is going to be a long search.

Videos