pixeltracker

"Side Show" Preview Thread- Page 7

"Side Show" Preview Thread

ilovebroadway2014 Profile Photo
ilovebroadway2014
#150re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/3/14 at 5:20pm

I agree @BroadwayBoobs. I saw a preview over the weekend and just loved it. AND I loved the original. I think the changes are great. One of the things I love about this is show is the historical aspect and I love how the changes include more of what actually happened to the girls. And those girls are STARS. Genius. Will be returning.

Also, just read this WSJ article. Good read:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/11/03/reviving-side-show-in-the-time-of-the-freak/

KathyNYC2
#151re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 8:16am

I saw it last night..first time in any production. Erin and Emily are simply amazing and touching..and worth seeing period. The ease they move together like they actually had been connected for years is amazing. My friend and I were commenting it's going to be a challenge for the Tony's...one award for two people? one over the other? A split vote so neither wins? I thought the rest of the cast was fine.

The story was very touching. But it gets a little murky in the middle of Act 2...too many flip flops in just a few seconds without much depth and reasoning behind them (I love you - maybe not). Plots & character development are hinted at but never discussed or dropped. But the ending is still pretty uplifting for such a depressing reality..

But Erin and Emily had me from the minute they hit the stage...worth the trip for sure.

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#152re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:01am

I believe the Tony's nominated Emily Skinner & Alice Ripley as one...like Billy Elliot's 3 boys later. The girls were the first to ever be nominated that way.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#153re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:02am

Yes, I remember that Skinner and Ripley were nominated as one also.

....but the world goes 'round

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#154re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:09am

^ I understand it, but I don't support it. It's like telling someone "Your performance was great, here's half a Tony". Maybe they could do something like they did with the original Matilda's and give them honorary Tony's?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#155re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:16am

Emily and Erin are pure gems in this! Definitely a Tony nomination if not a win for the both of them!

Updated On: 11/4/14 at 09:16 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#156re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:21am

The Matildas were kids-and I feel that's setting a bad precedent regarding double, triple and quadruple casting roles like that. It sort of says that if you have more than 2 kids in a role, then the role must be hard or good-and they'll automatically receive a Tony. Personally, I think the issue of child actors needs to be considered more carefully. Campaigning for the Tony is tough enough on an adult, but to put that on a kid is very demanding. (I happen to be in the camp that thinks if a child's performance warrants an award, they should get a Tony Honor.)

The difference with Side Show is that the two roles are inseparable (in more than one way). Their performances depend on one another and the voters are voting for the PERFORMANCE(s) not the ROLE. I kind of feel that's how the multi-cast children's roles have been-voting for the role (since most voters don't get to see all the actors/actresses).

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#157re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:22am

^ I understand it, but I don't support it. It's like telling someone "Your performance was great, here's half a Tony". Maybe they could do something like they did with the original Matilda's and give them honorary Tony's?"

So in your opinion winning an HONORARY Tony that is also given to your costar is better than winning an ACTUAL Tony that is also given to your costar? I'm trying hard to "get" this.

After Eight
#158re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:32am

"I believe the Tony's nominated Emily Skinner & Alice Ripley as one...like Billy Elliot's 3 boys later. The girls were the first to ever be nominated that way."

The children in The Sound of Music were nominated together for a Tony Award.
John Kani and Winston Ntshona were nominated together for a Tony -- and won -- for their performances in Sizwe Banzi Is Dead and The Island.

Updated On: 11/4/14 at 09:32 AM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#159re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:40am

I'm surprised to see only one understudy listed covering both Daisy and Violet.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

neonlightsxo
#160re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:49am

It was the same in the original wasn't it?

Eta: I just looked it up on playbillvault. For some reason I remembered Lauren Kennedy as the only standby but they had two standbys last time. Interesting. Updated On: 11/4/14 at 09:49 AM

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#161re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:54am

Tonies - this is like saying 'conjoined twins are just one person'. Tricky.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#162re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 9:55am

In the original production, there was one performance where both understudies went on.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Broadwayboobs
#163re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 10:09am

According to WIki...

SIDE SHOW was nominated for four Tony Awards in 1998. Although Side Show won none of these awards, it was the first and only time that two actresses were co-nominated for Best Actress in a Musical as a team (if they had won, they would have won together).

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#164re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 10:19am

That's right-in that category. In the case of The Sound of Music the children were placed in Featured Actress in a Musical even though there were 2 boys in there. And the Billys were leading actor in a musical. So, yes the Side Show ladies would be the first in Leading Actress in a Musical.

KathyNYC2
#165re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 10:23am

I hadn't thought of that. I saw one understudy listed in the program for both actresses - what a challenge to have to learn both the left and right side performances.

But I assume there are others because on the odd chance that both leads are sick, one is obviously not enough.

Interesting about the Tony's...thanks for the history lesson and yes, I get honorary Tony's to 4 young girls who were amazing as Matilda but I also agree that sharing a real Tony with your co-star is better than any form of honorary one...and the idea of voting them opposite each other is not acceptable.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#166re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 10:30am

They could nominate them separately, but I'm not sure either would get nominated in that case-they could cancel each other out.

As I've said, I am of the opinion that all children under a certain age should be considered for Honorary Tonys. The burden of performing at an adult level eight times a week is hard enough-but these are CHILDREN. This would ease them of the further pressure of campaigning.

Broadwayboobs
#167re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
Posted: 11/4/14 at 10:40am

"I saw one understudy listed in the program for both actresses - what a challenge to have to learn both the left and right side performances."

I can't even imagine remembering which harmony I need to sing.

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#168re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 10:41am

There are actually TWO understudies that cover both: Megan McGinnis (who may have been cast after the initial Playbill went to print, so that may be the reason you only see one understudy listed) and DeLaney Westfall.

So there are TWO who cover both.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#169re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 12:00pm

The initial Tony ruling to nominate Alice and Emily as one has always been incredibly bizarre, since the show goes to such lengths to make clear that Daisy and Violet are two distinctly different people in spite of being conjoined.

As far as the standby situation goes, given that Megan McGinnis has played a few principal roles on Broadway, the most likely scenario is that she's opted to go uncredited in the program as an understudy. Were she to go on, the producers would then have to place a larger insert in the Playbill that includes her headshot and full bio as opposed to the standard "At this performance..." slip.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/4/14 at 12:00 PM

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#170re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 12:06pm

They were clear about casting two standbys in the Side Show call in August. It's probably like somethingwicked said: one of the standbys is choosing to go uncredited in the Playbill.

neonlightsxo
#171re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 12:46pm

Thanks for the info re: Megan McGinnis. Didn't realize she had been cast.

KathyNYC2
#172re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 1:07pm

Me either. I don't think she is listed in the Playbill (but I can't check as I am at work). That makes sense of course..

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#173re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 1:42pm

McGinnis was pictured with the cast after the first preview.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#174re: Side Show Previews
Posted: 11/4/14 at 8:01pm

So. They're not selling the balcony. Only the mezz. Front of he balcony has the sound booth

Videos