pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 7

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#150The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/30/15 at 9:04pm

The people who say the racially diverse casting is integral to the dramaturgy of Hamilton and not a by-product of colorblind casting are correct. It's not a matter of a specific diverse cast playing fictional characters like Two Gentlemen or some productions of Les Miz. This is a historical show with a purposefully built-in anachronistic racial representation, like Pacific Overtures depicting American military members as broad Japanese charicatures intended to be played exclusively by Asian actors.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#151The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 9/30/15 at 9:31pm

The first time I saw Hamilton, I didn't love it, but everyone here made me feel guilty about it, so I went back and gave it a second chance.

Second time, I liked it.  I chalk up my first bad experience to seeing it with my ex.  Bad call.

The music was released on iTunes and I am now full blown obsessed.  I cannot stop listening.  I play it before my students come to school.  I put it on after they leave when I'm setting up for the next day.  I almost never play music at school.  I am literally singing the songs in my dreams.  I have never changed my opinion of something so significantly. 

hamilfan
#152The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/1/15 at 10:39pm

For those who have seen it I have a question, when the "rewind" part in Satisfied happens what is going on onstage? All the music there is pre-recorded, right?

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#153The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/1/15 at 10:52pm

hamilfan said: "For those who have seen it I have a question, when the "rewind" part in Satisfied happens what is going on onstage? All the music there is pre-recorded, right?"

I was wondering the same thing.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

ChiTheaterFan
#154The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 1:44am

Yes. It's recorded from "rewind" until the part where she sings the full line ("I remember that night I just might regret that night for the rest of my days".  /) through. (Spoilers) She freezes and everything else goes in reverse to the beginning of the party before Eliza meets Hamilton. I seem to remember it involves the turntable but I can't really remember because it's so seamless and it really just seem like someone actually hit the rewind button. That's a really poor explanation because it's hard to describe. It's really some of the most clever and effective staging in the whole show. 

Updated On: 10/2/15 at 01:44 AM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#155The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 6:21am

HAMILTON Cast Will Celebrate Album Release with Performance at Barnes & Noble on 10/16

Dammit! I just accepted a new position at work and don't feel right requesting off so soon.  Would anyone be willing to go to this and get me a signed CD?  I would pay you for my album and yours, as well as pay you for your time.  Please PM me if you would be willing to do this!!

rjm516
#156The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 1:39pm

The album got Billboard's very first 5-star review!! How awesome is that? (Pitchfork something also gave it a 6.9 presumably out of 10. The Michael Riedel of album reviewers, I imagine.)

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#157The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 2:29pm

goddammit, pitchfork

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#158The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 3:24pm

Does anyone think there's any way we might get sheet music for Hamilton before the Tony Awards?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#159The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 3:29pm

The VERY first one?  That seems unfathomable.

Glittergirl.....may I say I'm shocked?  (But grinning!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#160The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 3:41pm

I'm listening to the music again, and I'm getting more and more hooked each time. I can't wait to see this thing when it inevitably goes on tour; I just HAVE to see how this wonderful score plays out onstage!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#161The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 3:45pm

President Obama, who saw a Broadway preview of “Hamilton” on July 18, is planning to see it again, on Nov. 2, for a Democratic Party fund-raiser. Michelle Obama attended a matinee last weekend — her second time at the show, after seeing it Off Broadway at the Public Theater this year.

The Democratic National Committee is paying the costs of the special Monday night performance — a night when Broadway is ordinarily dark — and is raising money by selling seats to the show for up to $5,000 apiece. The event will benefit the Democratic Hope Fund, which raises money to help retire Mr. Obama’s campaign debt, as well as the national committee.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/10/02/obama-planning-to-see-hamilton-again-to-raise-money-for-democrats/?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Updated On: 10/2/15 at 03:45 PM

FindingNamo
#162The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 4:02pm

The Pitchfork review is very favorable, that is not a site that gives out easy 10s.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#163The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 4:07pm

Pitchfork is notoriously harsh! The fact it was even reviewed by them at all is a victory, and a very positive written review with an above-average score (6.9) from them is great.
Pitchfork's Review

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

FindingNamo
#164The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 4:08pm

I agree with a lot of the points.

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#165The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 4:33pm

Anybody else get choked up when Christopher Jackson's Washington leaves the presidency?  Jackson makes a great Pres!

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#166The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 5:06pm

Anybody else get choked up when Christopher Jackson's Washington leaves the presidency?  Jackson makes a great Pres!

I find that very moving, even knowing only the cast recording.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#167The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 5:11pm

Skip2 said: "Anybody else get choked up when Christopher Jackson's Washington leaves the presidency?  Jackson makes a great Pres"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#168The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 5:28pm

It's one of my favorite moments in the show. As fabulous as Daveed Diggs is as Lafayette/Jefferson (and his portrayal is a knock out), Jackson is giving a supporting performance that's just as good; it's just totally different. It's very emotion driven.

ChiTheaterFan
#169The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 5:43pm

dramamama611 said: "The VERY first one?  That seems unfathomable"

They only started giving star ratings a year ago, but still....

I can't find the tweet now but an editor did tweet today it was their first 5 star review since they began giving them a year ago. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#170The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 6:24pm

Thanks for the extra info!  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 10/2/15 at 06:24 PM

ChiTheaterFan
oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#172The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 8:56pm

The genius project, a site dedicated to the interpretation and analysis of music lyrics, has the Hamilton cast album up in full.  While much of what it is said has been found in multiple interviews, I found it it to be a pretty interesting read.

http://genius.com/Lin-manuel-miranda-alexander-hamilton-lyrics 

FindingNamo
#173The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/2/15 at 10:25pm

Anybody else get choked up when Christopher Jackson's Washington leaves the presidency? 

Yes, he's the first president I have ever felt sexually attracted to, so his "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" or whatever it's called, gets me every time.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#174The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 7:14am

I get very choked up at Washington's retirement.

Out of all the emotional moments in the show this one hits me the hardest.

(followed closely by Eliza in the finale)

....but the world goes 'round

Videos