#150FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 2:44pm

Only you know your own brain.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#151FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 2:47pm

These characters do not cry out for non-stop singing, I'm afraid.

What does that even mean?  Do you believe there are characters that cry out for non-stop singing?  Perhaps characters that have spoken lines that should have been sung?  Even when the musical is not sung-through?

The shows were written to be sung-through and I always found them extremely effective as such.  I don't think it has ever occurred to me that certain characters are of the type that should only sing part-time.  Like, Eva and Che should sing non-stop, but not Juan, because his character does not cry out for non-stop singing, but the others do. Or..Cats and trains should definitely always be singing, but not people.  I'm not sure I follow.  How would that be determined?  Should the Judge in Sweeney Todd sing non-stop or not?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#152FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 3:01pm

Anyone have opinions on the view from the balcony? It's always iffy up there.

valerie3058 Profile Photo
valerie3058
#153FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 3:16pm

oh-bwayhereicome said: "Anyone have opinions on the view from the balcony? It's always iffy up there.

It was the first time I sat balcony for this theatre. It wasn't that bad in my opinion. I was in the 2nd Row of it. Its raised now so you get a clear view of the stage but it's pretty far back and the fact that it's raises makes it seem really really high. If you're afraid of heights at all, I wouldn't recommend it. 

#154FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 4:02pm

MinnieFay said: "Any reports on where the TDF seats have been located?"

I went to TKTS for the Saturday matinee and got a seat in row E (which was the 4th row for this) in the orchestra, on the aisle. Possibly the best located seat I've ever gotten via TKTS. 

I went into this knowing very little about the show so I took a chance. I ended up really liking it. I didn't have a problem with any of the casting. But I wonder if thats because I came to the show with no preconceptions about what the characters should be. I thought Stephanie J Block was terrific. It was a shame that her character fades away a little in act 2. 

The kid that plays Jason was great. And I see he is listed as the actor playing Jason, as opposed to one of a rotation of child actors playing the role like you get with Billy Elliot, Matilda etc. 

I agree that the set seemed a little cheap looking. I ended up watching them move those pieces around so I found all that business a little distracting.

I felt Act 2 was much stronger, or at least I preferred it. There were a few people around me audibly sobbing but I never felt like it landed that sucker punch.

All in all I'm glad I took the chance. I think its definitely a show that will be polarising so it will be interesting to see what happens with it.

decotodd
#155FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 11:22pm

Well, we just had the thread about leaving at intermission. I must confess that I succumbed and bailed after the first act. I always go into a show wanting to love it. I had heard so many wonderful things about this musical from friends over the years and was really looking forward to it. I have enjoyed the 4 adult leads in other shows and had high expectations. The cube movements didn't really bother me as it seems to have others, though it was busy. I enjoyed Block's cooking breakdown a lot, but was underwhelmed and unmoved by the other songs. Baffled by the opening number and the black light Falsettos song. And ultimately when the lights came up after the first act, I was tired, bored and had seen enough. Guy next to me kept checking his watch, so I wasn't the only one getting restless. 

Given that the first act was once a stand alone show, I thought that I have it a fair shot. The last time I left something at intermission was last year's revival of Noises Off. Another show friends had raved about that left me cold. 

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#156FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/12/16 at 8:39pm

Has anyone used their LincTix yet? I know they check ID to verify the age for the member whose name the tickets are under, but because they're allowing one person to buy two tickets for this production, are they also checking ID to verify the age of the member's guest?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#157FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/12/16 at 9:04pm

I had a ticket for last night but wasn't able to attend due to a family emergency. I tried calling the theatre and got connected to Ticketmaster today to inquire about past dating but they said it wasn't available for this show. The person didn't seem very knowledgeable about it though. I'm sure this early on no one else has experience with this show, but I wondered if perhaps anyone knew the Lincoln Center policy? 

I'm going to reach out via social media tomorrow. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#158FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/13/16 at 12:43pm

somethingwicked said: "Has anyone used their LincTix yet? I know they check ID to verify the age for the member whose name the tickets are under, but because they're allowing one person to buy two tickets for this production, are they also checking ID to verify the age of the member's guest?"

I'd love to know this, too. The language from Lincoln Center suggests the guest won't be checked ("Your guest does not need to be a LincTix Member"FALSETTOS Previews but it would be good to know for certain.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

pupscotch
#159FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/13/16 at 12:48pm

I just won the lottery for tomorrow! Can't wait, I'll share my thoughts after :)

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#160FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/13/16 at 12:58pm

somethingwicked and Kad - I'll be using my LincTix tonight. I'll let you know what happens.

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 12:58 PM

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#161FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 1:05am

They only asked to see my ID at the box office when I picked up the tickets, but didn't ask to see one for my companion.

I thought the show was fantastic.

Updated On: 10/14/16 at 01:05 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#162FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 10:22am

Thank you, Tbone!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LarryD2
#163FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 10:40am

delete

Updated On: 10/14/16 at 10:40 AM

FiddleMeThis
#164FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 2:54pm

No further reports? A cover was on for Mendel. 

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#165FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 2:56pm

I got a text today telling me I won tomorrow night's lottery. I picked a front row seat only $40-cannot wait! Tried for weeks.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

ncgator
#166FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 7:39pm

Looks like understudies tonight for Trina and Mendel.  Can't say I'm not a little disappointed as I planned this NYC trip just to catch this show, but hopefully they'll be great!

FiddleMeThis
#167FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 10:35pm

Full report, please!

pupscotch
#168FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 11:52pm

The understudies for Trina and Mendel were great! I think I'll have more to say tomorrow once I can get my thoughts together, but while I was disappointed at missing Brendan and Stephanie, I thought the understudies were good. A little shaky, but good overall.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#169FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:21am

Two understudies at a Friday evening performance, 2 weeks into previews and 2 weeks before opening night, for a show with a 13-week limited run?!? Jeesh! They sure don't build 'em like they used to.

Updated On: 10/15/16 at 12:21 AM

HBBrock
#170FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:23am

Anyone have any idea why Stephanie and Brandon were out? We have tickets for tomorrow night, and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be very disappointed if they were out. They are the only two that are getting great word of mouth.

FiddleMeThis
#171FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:29am

Of course they are "good," they are Broadway professionals, those understudies. And of course they are shaky, they have gotten barely any rehearsal. It's the second week of performances. 

Disappointing that they are out already. They definitely don't make them like they used to. 

playbill-love
#172FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:36am

I was there tonight. I really, really wanted to love this but didn't. Having everyone constantly move the foam blocks around was distracting and frankly silly and took up so much stage time that I felt like could have been better used. Then in the second act, after the first song, they completely abandon this concept which made the whole effort seem goofy and pointless. The understudy for Trina didn't seem totally there vocally, and frankly I was disappointed to be seeing two principal understudies this early in the run. Most of the staging was like sing a song directly to the audience at the front of the stage, black out, move blocks, repeat. I didn't fee like there was enough in the material for me to really connect to, though the subject matter is obviously upsetting. I love the score, but was disappointed and unengaged by this production. The house didn't open until after 7:45, the show started 15 minutes late and intermission ran long as well, so it seemed like something unusual was going on tonight. 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#173FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:39am

Is there any way to check for understudies on the day of a performance? I have tickets for next week, and if I know in advance that certain roles will be understudied, I'd just as soon sell my tickets.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#174FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:54am

Check the @understudies twitter account, although they don't track and report every understudy every night.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos