GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#150GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 6:54am

PThespian said: "showscpt said: "Saw last nights preview - beyond excruciating. If you want to be stuck watching a never ending repeat of a second rate show that should never have made it to the stage - Groundhog Day is for you. Mindless drivel. Save your money ... this show is going to have a very short life on Broadway.

Unfortunately I have to concur. 

I know Andy Karl since the Winter Garden housed Rocky. 

They do not make nicer people. 

Unfortunately he does seem to have a knack for picking bad shows. 

I predict this one will not last as long as Rocky did. 

"

Unfortunately actors rarely get to "pick" what shows will cast them and pay their bills. So glad to hear the show got even better last night. I can't wait to see this again. It is just sooooo close to being really brilliant. 

After Eight
#151GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:47am

In short, horrible.

But since this musical is horribly long, it's extra horrible.

The protagonist is upset at being trapped in the town. He should know how it feels to be trapped at this musical for nearly three hours!

Note to the creators: "Oxen" is the plural of "ox." One does not add an "s" to "oxen."

After Eight
#152GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:14am

BOM said,

"I assume you're a fan of the cookie cutter musical."

Three cheers for cookie-cutter musicals like My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and Hello, Dolly! In fact, three thousand and thirty-three cheers for those! What a difference from this miserable exercise!

"I feel bad for people who can't appreciate shows that's challenge the status quo."

Don't cry for me, Argentina. 

The_Spielers_2017
#153GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:11am

After Eight said: "BOM said,

"I assume you're a fan of the cookie cutter musical."

Three cheers for cookie-cutter musicals like My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and Hello, Dolly! In fact, three thousand and thirty-three cheers for those! What a difference from this miserable exercise!

"I feel bad for people who can't appreciate shows that's challenge the status quo."

Don't cry for me, Argentina. 

After Eight, I have a question for you, from a genuine place of curiosity rather than spite:

I know you're known for not liking a lot of theatre, though I did agree with your praising of "King and I" and "Hello, Dolly"GROUNDHOG DAY Previews.

But when your opinion doesn't match with another's (especially on something as liked as, say, "Fun Home", or as divisive as "Groundhog Day" is shaping up to be), do you think less of said person? Granted, I know not everyone's going to like everything (and there are some reviewers who needlessly praise/ hate shows), but if the reviewer examines the show critically and finds happiness/ joy/ wonder within, do you think less of said reviewer?

Because I know that I just attended the same performance you did, and that I greatly enjoyed it. But  to see you not enjoy it, well, it kind of makes me feel sad. Not that you didn't agree with me or that you are in any way lesser (if anything I have great respect for your years of theatre going and critical eye), but that something that brought me such happiness didn't do the same for you. I can't really explain it beyond that, it's just an inherent sadness.

So yeah, do you think lesser of me and others who enjoy what you don't like?

"

After Eight
#154GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:21am

"So yeah, do you think lesser of me and others who enjoy what you don't like?"

No, I do not think lesser of you.

In fact, I admire you for your post.

I'm glad you find happiness at whatever shows you see, because finding happiness at the theatre is what the theatre is all about. And in the end, it's what life is all about.

neonlightsxo
#156GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:26am

VotePeron, I'd say the first act is basically a completely different show than the second.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#157GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:34am

Kimbo said: "...the cast album has already been recorded and is being released in 3 weeks. At this point the score is the score, love it or hate it."

That's not necessarily true. It wouldn't be the first time that music and/or lyrics had been changed in a show that had already released a cast recording. In some cases, entire songs have been cut or added after an album is released.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

neonlightsxo
#158GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:38am

They didn't make any changes after London. I don't see them making any now. They are obviously unaware of the problems.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#159GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:41am

Sad to see the mixed responses... I think the show will live or die based on reviews... If the reviews are mixed or bad, Broadway will quickly switch to February 3rd... GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#161GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:21am

PThespian said: 

Unfortunately actors rarely get to "pick" what shows will cast them and pay their bills. So glad to hear the show got even better last night. I can't wait to see this again. It is just sooooo close to being really brilliant. 

"

I don't think Andy Karl and Orfeh would've had their electricity cutoff if he had turned this show down. 

The man is a Tony nominee with multiple leading roles on Broadway under his belt. 

I'm not his agent, but I'm pretty sure he would've had other offers come along if he had passed on this. 

I'm not his accountant, but I'm guessing both he and Orfeh are beyond the "starving artist" points of their careers. 

"

Other offers?? How many offers do actors get to originate roles in original musicals? Hell, how many original musicals open on Broadway in a year? 10 maybe? That's a maximum of 10 roles (and that's assuming they all have leading men). Andy Karl is excellent and a star, but is by no means a "headliner" star. I'm sure he did and will continue to jump at the chance to originate any leading male role that has any sort of substance to it. He is a down to earth guy so I'm sure he recognizes how lucky and privileged he is.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#162GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:45am

I would be very surprised if there were enough support for the show itself for Andy Karl to upset Ben Platt. This is clearly going to be divisive. everyone seems to be pointing out the same issues- so I do hope they will make some changes. It sounds like they are really resting their laurels on a repeat of Ben Brantley's rave from London, but that is not going to be enough to make this a show a hit here. As pointed out, tastes and climate are very different here than in London at the moment. The first act's relentless mysogeny in particular needs to be addressed if they want younger women to enjoy this.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

neonlightsxo
#163GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:50am

I'll repeat myself, since this is the Groundhog Day thread. They didn't make any changes after London, they're not going to make them now.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#164GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:20am

The more I think about the show, the more I liked it. I actually didn't find the first act misogynistic at all. Sure, Phil is a man whore without an ounce of shame about it, but Rita is a pretty strong, clear-eyed woman and never falls for his constant trickery. He flirts and makes advances incessantly, but he never physically crosses the line (IMO). If anything his advances are met with violence from Rita at every turn- slaps and a knee to the groin- so I don't think our heroine is being portrayed as someone being taken advantage of.

Phil is a man who gets much of his validation in life through sex and the women he beds. Part of his character arc is there's more to women/dating/sex than the chase and quick physical gratification. In order to transform from cad to mature adult he needs to begin the show as a cad.

Side note: the FOH staff at the August Wilson is first rate! 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#165GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 12:05pm

I mean it got raves essentially in London, no? So they probably thought they tinker with something that is 'slightly' working? I'm excited to see it.

carnzee
#166GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:03pm

I was looking forward to your review, Skimbleshanks. I knew it would be a rave, but it's nice to read enthusiastic reviews from people like you and Dollypop on the Hello, Dolly! thread. It's great to see theatre bringing so much joy! I'm happy for you and your husband. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#167GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:48pm

Oy. Here tonight. This is just not good. It starts off poorly and - with the exception of some very brief moments - it doesn't get better.

I overheard the creatives - Tim Minchin and I would assume the director and book writer - and they were discussing minor staging issues as they related to the mics. So they're clearly focused on tweaking whereas this is in need of an overhaul.

Reeve Carney was in the lobby. I was reminded of Spider-Man's preview period. The creative team for that show kept saying that they couldn't make any major changes due to the time it took to reprogram the automation. While this show has fewer moving pieces, that stage floor with all of its revolves must take a lot of time to program and choreograph. 

All this to say that I don't think we'll see this show evolving any further beyond what was seen last Friday. 

On a side note, the back few rows of the balcony are entirely empty. At the start of intermission everyone around me started talking about how much they hated the show. 

The positive? The August Wilson Theater is a gem! It was my first time in it and the unique lobby layout was so great!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#168GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:01pm

So strange to read some negatives, this show got raves here in the U.K and picked up countless awards and nominations. If they haven't changed much it confuses me as to how it could be 'bad'? Maybe it's just very different tastes (UK/US) 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

froote
#169GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:18pm

songanddanceman2 said: "So strange to read some negatives, this show got raves here in the U.K and picked up countless awards and nominations. If they haven't changed much it confuses me as to how it could be 'bad'? Maybe it's just very different tastes (UK/US) "

It's simple. Broadway gets new musicals of this calibre or better all the time. New musicals in London are usually mediocre or bad. So when Londoners get a musical like Groundhog Day which is new, inventive and not outright awful (like Bend It Like Beckham for example) and they get it before New York, they get excited. New Yorkers are used to the Fun Homes and Hamiltons and Great Comets. Groundhog Day is just another movie adaptation for most people.

I say this as a British person that lives in England so I'm not being some snobby, patronizing Broadway person. I said as soon as I saw Groundhog Day that New Yorkers wouldn't take to this the way Londoners did. Broadway gets much, much better musicals on a regular basis and therefore they have much higher standards.

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 11:18 PM

bk
#170GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:26pm

It's really simple - they had all the time in the world to make changes in the UK - they got raves - raves in the UK are not necessarily indicative that they will result in the same reaction in the US.  But since they got raves what on Earth would make anyone think they were or are going to make ANY changes here - little staging adjustments aren't changes.

FrontLtGuy
#171GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:43pm

theatregoer3 said: "Oy. Here tonight. This is just not good. It starts off poorly and - with the exception of some very brief moments - it doesn't get better.

I overheard the creatives - Tim Minchin and I would assume the director and book writer - and they were discussing minor staging issues as they related to the mics. So they're clearly focused on tweaking whereas this is in need of an overhaul.

Reeve Carney was in the lobby. I was reminded of Spider-Man's preview period. The creative team for that show kept saying that they couldn't make any major changes due to the time it took to reprogram the automation. While this show has fewer moving pieces, that stage floor with all of its revolves must take a lot of time to program and choreograph. 

All this to say that I don't think we'll see this show evolving any further beyond what was seen last Friday. 

On a side note, the back few rows of the balcony are entirely empty. At the start of intermission everyone around me started talking about how much they hated the show. 

The positive? The August Wilson Theater is a gem! It was my first time in it and the unique lobby layout was so great!

"

I was at the last two previews, and it sounds like everyone is loving the show. The entire house is on its feet for lights up at the call. I find it to be a solid piece of contemporary theater. The story is well delivered in a non traditional way and supported by a very enjoyable score. Andy Karl is brilliant, and in my opinion, blows Ben Platt away... If you don't like a show, it does not automatically mean that it has no future on broadway or constitutes any re-writes. It's different but totally enjoyable. It will appeal to plenty of people.. maybe less so of the hardcore theatre fanatics.. but luckily there are plenty of people willing to pay for a ticket on broadway that just want to be entertained and aren't criticizing every frame. And broadway is just about making money in the end!  I bet the reviews are positive come April. I thought American in Paris would be a total flop and it did well for itself, and made all of its money back. 

ALSO: the fact that anyone could compare this to American Psycho is Hilarious!!!!! Just because its a British import??? makes no sense whatsoever. 

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 11:43 PM

perfectliar
#172GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:47pm

FrontLtGuy said: " I thought American in Paris would be a total flop and it did well for itself, and made all of its money back. "

No, it didn't.

FrontLtGuy
#173GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:48pm

Yes it did. The show cost about 12M and Made about 12m back. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#174GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:56pm

The comparison made to American Psycho (which I also grew to have an affection for) was not that the actual material/presentation is similar, but that Groundhog Day is generating the same polarizing response that American Psycho received. Pretty hard to argue against that in this thread. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#175GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:59pm

neonlightsxo said: "I'll repeat myself, since this is the Groundhog Day thread. They didn't make any changes after London, they're not going to make them now.

"

Thank you for being the voice of the creative team! I am sure (no, positive) that only after 4 days of previews they are happy with their product as is. 

FrontLtGuy
#176GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:59pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "The comparison made to American Psycho (which I also grew to have an affection for) was not that the actual material/presentation is similar, but that Groundhog Day is generating the same polarizing response that American Psycho received. Pretty hard to argue against that in this thread. 

"

Except that Groundhog Day has only had 5 previews...AP had a strong intriegue going into performances that wound up in disappointment, where as this appears to have quite  the opposite effect in my opinion, based on the reactions in the theater, not the reviews on this board

Videos