Christy Altomare

Denee Benton

Christine Ebersole

Patti Lupone 

Bette Midler

pupscotch
#151Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:02am

Birdie Boy said: "In terms of reviews, Soo and Osnes got much better notices than Noblezada, Benton, and Altomare who all received pretty mediocre reviews.

"

None of them got glowing reviews, but I remember a lot of positive things said about Christy, and I know Denee has grown tremendously in the role since previews. And I do remember a fair few negative reviews for Phillipa, mostly saying she was bland. I think all the actresses are wonderful, but I personally think Christy and Denee are giving the stronger performances.

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#152Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 8:26am

Now that I've seen them all, here are my guesses:

Christy Altomare, Anastasia

Denee Benton, The Great Comet of 1812

Bette Midler, Hello Dolly

Christine Ebersole, War Paint

Laura Osnes, Bandstand

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#153Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 8:35am

I'd switch out Altomare with Noblezada. Only because I think Noblezada is the single best thing about this revival of "Saigon," a performance that has more grit, depth and range than Salonga's, either time she played Kim.    

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

PaulWom
#154Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 10:52am

pupscotch said: "Birdie Boy said: "In terms of reviews, Soo and Osnes got much better notices than Noblezada, Benton, and Altomare who all received pretty mediocre reviews.

"

None of them got glowing reviews, but I remember a lot of positive things said about Christy, and I know Denee has grown tremendously in the role since previews. And I do remember a fair few negative reviews for Phillipa, mostly saying she was bland. I think all the actresses are wonderful, but I personally think Christy and Denee are giving the stronger performances.

"

I'm not sure what you're talking about... Pretty sure Benton got raves, especially from Isherwood, who called her a "revelation".

PaulWom
#155Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 10:54am

I wonder whether Christy will stay in after the Brantley pan- I think so, but I'm not sure.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#156Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 11:00am

For what it's worth, Altomare, Ebersole, LuPone, and Midler are the four actresses that have received both Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle nominations this season.

Not that that implicates anything for the Tonys, but it's worth noting. I personally think those are the four "locks" with the fifth slot up for grabs between Benton and Osnes.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#157Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 11:14am

PaulWom said: "I wonder whether Christy will stay in after the Brantley pan- I think so, but I'm not sure.

"

Didn't he like her though??? She got high praises and a couple of raves as well

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#158Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 6:11pm

After seeing Altomare on The Today Show, it seems like it would be downright criminal to not give her a nomination. She sang the "big song" perfectly, seems very lovable, and a Tony nomination would mean a lot more both personally and professionally to her than it would to, say, Lupone and Ebersole, who both have WON TWICE already. Same goes with Denee Benton. Midler is obviously going to win, so spread the wealth a bit to the two youngin's.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#159Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 6:30pm

^^This

Mike66
#160Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 6:44pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "^^This

Me too

Sent it to the Nominating Committee

m

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#161Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:01pm

Yes, because Tony Awards and nominations should always be based on Today Show performances.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#162Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:21pm

Her performance on the Today Show is an accurate representation of the quality of her performance in Anastasia. She's an incredible queen.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#163Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:22pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "After seeing Altomare on The Today Show, it seems like it would be downright criminal to not give her a nomination. She sang the "big song" perfectly, seems very lovable, and a Tony nomination would mean a lot more both personally and professionally to her than it would to, say, Lupone and Ebersole, who both have WON TWICE already. Same goes with Denee Benton. Midler is obviously going to win, so spread the wealth a bit to the two youngin's."

It's not about who would appreciate the nomination most...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#164Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:34pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Her performance on the Today Show is an accurate representation of the quality of her performance in Anastasia. She's an incredible queen."

I saw her last night.  There is much more to playing a role than just singing (which she does beautifully).  But if you think she acts that part better than Christine or Patti do their parts, you're crazy.  Now, I actually liked Christy and expect her to get a nomination, but not at the expense of the War Paint ladies.  That's just foolish.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#165Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:46pm

I liked Christy a lot, but I still think that Denee and Eva are slightly more deserving of a nomination.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, not everyone can be nominated.  If everyone that was doing a great job on Broadway got a Tony nomination, there wouldn't be anything prestigious about it.  Last year, Audra Mcdonald wasn't nominated.  It didn't mean that she sucked, it just meant that there was someone who was doing some slightly more innovative or more intriguing work.  Christy sings and acts her part beautifully, but I think that there are other actresses who are doing some better work out there right now.  This part, regardless of a nomination or not, will launch her into a career and I expect to see her nominated or maybe even win in the future.

Also, I agree that Noblezada's Kim has more depth and grit than Salonga's.  I know, shoot me.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#166Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/27/17 at 8:08pm

bjh2114 said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "Her performance on the Today Show is an accurate representation of the quality of her performance in Anastasia. She's an incredible queen."

I saw her last night.  There is much more to playing a role than just singing (which she does beautifully).  But if you think she acts that part better than Christine or Patti do their parts, you're crazy.  Now, I actually liked Christy and expect her to get a nomination, but not at the expense of the War Paint ladies.  That's just foolish.

"

Hmmm, that's funny. Because I don't believe I ever said, or even implied, that Patti and Christine don't deserve nominations. Didn't even mention them, in fact.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#167Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 4/30/17 at 3:19pm

• Bette Midler - Hello Dolly
  • Christy Altomare - Anastasia
  • Christine Ebersole - War Paint
  • Patti Lupone - War Paint
  • Eva Noblezada - Miss Saigon

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/30/17 at 03:19 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#168Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:34pm

I'm really torn between Noblezada, Osnes & Altomare. I can't decide who I think it going to get in.

My gut is telling me Noblezada will sneak in, but I know that's a risky bet.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 5/1/17 at 12:34 PM

Videos