News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 72

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

crz2662 Profile Photo
crz2662
#1775Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/26/13 at 10:16pm

Perfectly said Best! I guess he wants to see Meryl disappear into the ground on an elevator in a puff of smoke just like Bernadette did. Yeah, that will look so real on screen.

Having seen how it was done last year in Central Park was awesome and made a whole lot more sense.

Musicaldudepeter
#1776Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/26/13 at 10:42pm

Let's get down to business. How do you think ITW will fare come awards season? Will it make cut off dates for nominations for the Globes/Oscars/etc. in 2014/15...? Who will be put in lead, who will be put in supporting categories? I would think Streep would be a lock for a nom for Best Actress - Musical or Comedy for the Globes? (Yes, I know we haven't seen any of the performances/any of the film, I'm just curious to know what do people think prematurely?...)

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#1777Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/27/13 at 8:15pm

The hands pulling her away part sounds cool, but a more fitting fairy tale magic effect would... Well anyway how was it done in Central Park?

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#1778Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/27/13 at 8:28pm

SPOILER

For the Shakespeare in the Park production, the Witch yelled, "Mother, here I come!" at the end of "Last Midnight." As she did so, a couple of branch-like arms emerged from the leaves on the ground and pulled her down through a trapdoor. It was pretty haunting, especially since I didn't see it coming - I didn't even know the Delacorte had any space under the stage.

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#1779Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/27/13 at 8:42pm

Thank you. Well that is really cool. But I wonder if that's how the script writers got the idea for the live-action version of her exit.

Updated On: 8/27/13 at 08:42 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1780Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/4/13 at 10:16pm

Saw this today ...

Looks like there will be some upcoming location shooting with a bunch of extras in or around Dover Castle.

LINK

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/4/13 at 10:16 PM

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#1781Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/4/13 at 11:07pm

Adjust the key of "Stay With Me" for Meryl? If she can't sing it in the original key, then FIRE THE BITCH!

Next.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1782Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/4/13 at 11:18pm

Meryl isn't a strong singer, of course they're going to adjust the keys for her.

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#1783Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 12:25am

I know Jordan, you sexy hunk, that's my point. FIRE HER, FIRE HER, FIRE HER!! And get a strong singer that can also act. F*CK her and her three Oscars.

Jordan Catalano
#1784Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 12:37am

Um....

Liza's Headband
#1785Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 12:47am

...I think that post just flew right over your head, logan.

Updated On: 9/5/13 at 12:47 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1786Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 12:57am

What the heck?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1787Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 2:27am

Meryl's a respectable and tremendous actress. Can't wait to see her in the role.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1788Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 6:06am

Troll alert.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1789Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 9:41am

>The reason the Prince was double cast as The Wolf was because The Wolf is a small part and it's cheaper to hire one actor over two.<

Act Two of Into the Woods is a refracted version of Act One, and the link between the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince is more than just double casting for cost-effectiveness: it's an alternate playing of the Wolf/Little Red seduction from Act One, with Cinderella's Prince and the Baker's Wife as the pairing instead. The Wolf and Cinderella's Prince were further linked in the musical material you can hear in the longer version of "Any Moment" from the Original Broadway Cast Recording. (There's a portion for the Prince that has since been dropped from the published score, but it mirrors the Wolf's material).

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1790Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 1:47pm

It's interesting that they chose not to double-cast it for the film. They easily could have if they wanted to. It's clear in Lapine's own adapted script that they are separate characters (or, if you prefer, there is no indication that they are the same or similar characters).

I speculated earlier that on film, it might confuse audiences into thinking they ARE the same character. And since the Wolf dies early on, to have him come back to life as the Cinderella's Prince, who had been around for decades co-existing with the Wolf anyway, wouldn't make much sense. Especially since Little Red runs around with the skins of the Wolf around her neck.

As a theatrical device, the double-casting makes more sense as symbolic. and as a theatrical conceit In a film, especially today, not so much.

I'm just glad they decided to keep the Wolf as a partially human figure. He is described very much as he looked in the stage show. The only difference is when he runs off after his initial scene with Little Red, he turns into an actual wolf. But at least they didn't try to make him a talking, realistic, CGI wolf with a voice actor.

Jordan Catalano
#1791Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 1:51pm

"Meryl's a respectable and tremendous actress. Can't wait to see her in the role."

I don't think anyone ever said she wasn't respectable or tremendous. That still doesn't change the fact that she's not a strong singer and, honestly, should have her singing voice dubbed. She's the weakest singer out of everyone cast and has the (second to the Bakers Wife) most important role.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1792Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 1:58pm

I think she'll do great on Children Will Listen. Her voice has that "Judy Collins thing" going for it, and she'll probably melt hearts.

And her Witch's Rap should be fantastic.

I even think she'll probably hold her own enough on The Last Midnight.

Then there's Stay With Me. The first part? No problem. She'll be acting up a storm with Rapunzel, and probably get us all to cry. Then comes the big middle section: "Who out there could love you more than I?"

Nurse!!! Nurse!!? Call in a dubber. That's the part I think she'll need help on. If she nails it, she'll blow us all away. If she sounds like a demented duck giving birth to a penguin, I will be a very sad person. And she can't burry that section in weepy sobs or Rapunzel's weave extensions either. She needs to belt it out, woefully. Full frontal songitude.

As much as I love ya, Meryl. Good luck with that.

EDIT: On the other hand, Streep always likes a challenge. And I think she's up for it, too!

Updated On: 9/5/13 at 01:58 PM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#1793Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/5/13 at 3:12pm

I too can't stand that Streep woman. She's wrong for the part as it is, and I just wish she'd go away for a couple years.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1794Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:54am

It's really kinda silly and also clueless that the media is promoting the upcoming location shoot in Dover as a Johnny Depp movie, clearly more than implying he will be there for it.

They also add that "other Hollywood actors may make an appearance at the shoot."

I guarantee you Depp won't be there. Dover Castle is (at least preliminarily) subbing for Cinderella's castle. It's the only castle in the story. They will likely add towers and turrets to it (via CGI), to "fairy tale it up" a bit. And with an outdoor shoot like this, I'm guessing this will be the brief celebration scene with much of the rest of the cast that substitutes for the song "Happy Ever After."

If that's the case, fans will get a look at a whole bunch of townspeople cheering while Cinderella's carriage is pulled toward the castle. In addition to Cinderella and her prince, the short scene also includes the Baker and His Wife, Jack and his Mother, Rapunzel and her prince, Cinderella's Stepmother and Stepsisters, and the Witch (watching from a distance).

So they might get a whole lotta celebrity sightings, but not Johnny Depp.

LINK

Updated On: 9/6/13 at 11:54 AM

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1795Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:37pm

Am I the only one that was really impressed with her in Mamma Mia? I adore her "Winner takes it all."

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#1796Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:49pm

I wasn't impressed with her in Mamma Mia...but GOD do I love her Heartbreak Hotel from Postcards From the Edge.

Jordan Catalano
#1797Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:52pm

Miss Meryl might be a world class actor but she's a community theatre singer.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#1798Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/6/13 at 1:12pm

Are they doing the "live" singing we never heard the end of in Les Mis?

jimmycurry01
#1799Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/6/13 at 1:14pm

Nope, all prerecorded if I'm not mistaken.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos