DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#200DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 11:49am

Flawed attempt at trying to bring to the stage something that should not have been attempted. The performances are fine especially Mutu and Nolan. The score is enjoyable but not spectacular.

Definitely see it on discounted tickets.Nowhere near the train wreck the critics portrayed it to be.An earnest failure.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/27/15 at 11:49 AM

BroadwayMouth
#201DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 5:54pm

I say, Go Go Go Go.  I saw DR. ZHIVAGO before the reviews came out, and I loved it.  It is so moving, epic, and the music is beautiful. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#202DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:05pm

To Bway Mouth

A word of warning. Get ready for a ton of **** about to be hurled at you from all sides. You will get the same treatment from many on the board that the show got from the critics.

I enjoyed it but there were flaws & problems.

Poster Emeritus

Wilmingtom
#203DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:30pm

Broadway Mouth, don't be intimidated by Roxy. I don't happen to agree with you about Zhivago but like most around here, I won't hurl anything at you for sharing your opinion. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#204DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:35pm

I haven't gotten the sense that anyone here is hurling obsenities at other posters for enjoying Doctor Zhivago. That usually only happens when someone is an obvious shill and I haven't seen any so far with this show. 

KathyNYC2
#205DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 7:23pm

For me, I don't care who liked what and who didn't. It's only an opinion and I like to read many. Don't enjoy attacks on opposing views but to each his own.       That said I can't remember disliking any show more than Dr Z in a  long long time. It was to me a complete mess. 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#206DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 7:26pm

Does anyone think Tam has a shot at making it on Broadway elsewhere? Part of me would rather just see him in a better show...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

CATSNYrevival
#207DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 7:51pm

That would depend on whether he plans to stay in New York or go back to London. He probably has a Visa good for a year if he signed a one year contract with Zhivago but I don't really know enough about all of that to speculate. They've already announced the new Javert so that's out. We're getting ahead of ourselves though. They haven't posted a closing notice just yet.

broadwayfan24
#208DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 7:53pm

"Does anyone think Tam has a shot at making it on Broadway elsewhere? Part of me would rather just see him in a better show..."

Well if Rebecca ever makes it to Broadway...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#209DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 8:11pm

1. Rebecca has to much baggage (legal trouble)

2. It would be compared to a Wildhorn musical music wise

3. Critics hate these types of musicals . I doubt the reviews would

be as vicious as those heaped on Dr Z. Having said that, it would

not be pretty

Poster Emeritus

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#210DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 8:21pm

I say go if you wanna go. $37 rush. I got front row. 

And I wasn't impressed by Tam. I didn't think his voice was anything to write home about. I'm not sure I need to see him do anything else.

KathyNYC2
#211DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 10:31pm

Me either^^  I don't need to see him again. Nice voice not withstanding, he was just dull to me.

I believe it's only a student rush, right?

Updated On: 4/28/15 at 10:31 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#212DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 10:41pm

I love when shows like this actually limit their Rush seats to certain people. I saw the show last night and the mezz, with only half of it being used, still was only about 30% full. So good on them for turning people away from buying tickets to this mess of a show. The producers are geniuses. 

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#213DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 11:30pm

"Mess of a show." Damn DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews. I thought its run in Australia was quite successful? Amused by all you who only want to see it because you think Tam is hot; I only want to see it because I think Kelli is hot, ha. I'm not surprised it's not doing well; Mr. Roxy's #2 reasoning is a good explanation as to why its doing so badly. 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#214DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/27/15 at 11:34pm

"Mr. Roxy's #2 reasoning is a good explanation as to why its doing so badly."

Obama?

CATSNYrevival
#215DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 12:11am

Roxy was talking about Rebecca anyway. I don't recall any of the reviewers mentioning Wildhorn in their reviews of Doctor Zhivago but I didn't read them all.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#216DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 12:20am

"Does anyone think Tam has a shot at making it on Broadway elsewhere? Part of me would rather just see him in a better show..."

Yea maybe Rebecca or City of Angels if those shows ever come to Broadway. I also think he would make a great Phantom

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#217DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:36am

"To Bway Mouth
A word of warning. Get ready for a ton of **** about to be hurled at you from all sides. You will get the same treatment from many on the board that the show got from the critics.
I enjoyed it but there were flaws & problems."

Roxy just be quiet.

You have half the board blocked and post in a vacuum.

All your posts ever do is bemoan how everyone hates everything, and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Why do you think you have any right to tell people to prepare for slings when you haven't participated in anything other than a one way conversation for months.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#218DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:43am

Oh, silly Taz, he complains about ticket prices, too.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#219DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 6:17am

True dramamama!

And of course he is always kvetching that the critics hate Wildhorn.

It's one big anti-Wildhorn conspiracy against Roxy and Mrs. R.

....but the world goes 'round

Emma MK
#220DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 1:00pm

I was lucky enough to see Tam in City of Angels in London (3 times lol) and id love for that to transfer next year as it was such a stunning show and id love to see it done on a larger stage. He was so fantastic as Stone that he is one of the reasons why im coming to NY in 2 weeks to see him as Zhivago. I know the show has been slated a lot, so im going in with very low expectations, but i know that i will enjoy it, even if it is just for Tam's voice.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#221DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 2:30pm

I saw Tam a few years ago in Chess in Toronto, and was so blown away by his Anthem that i went diving into the program afterwards to find out who that amazing singer was, and remembered his name afterward.  Hearing him sing again was the thing that i was most looking forward to when i went to see Dr. Zhivago in previews, and he didn't disappoint - he was wonderful in this show too.  I'd certainly be happy to see him in a City of Angels revival (and like many on here, have been wanting to see a City of Angels revival for a long time).

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#222DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/28/15 at 2:35pm

Tam won't be in Rebecca when/if it comes to Broadway.. He was cast at the time when the producers would do anything to have Sierra Boggess (who they still wanted after the delays), and the part is now Jill Paice's (if she wants it - and is perfect for the second Mrs. de Winter). Tam and Sierra are no longer a couple (is this gossip?).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#223DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:12am

Is it a student rush? The girl next to me certainly wasn't a student - she's well known in the music theater world - and the couple next to me were in their late 60s at best? 

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#224DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Reviews
Posted: 4/29/15 at 10:56am

Of all people promoting this show, Brandi Glanville the girl with the potty mouth and a love of alcohol from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is tweeting about this show.

https://twitter.com/BrandiGlanville/status/593425126840016896

Videos