ANASTASIA Previews

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#200ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 4:22pm

carnzee, I completely agree with you that comedies/lighter fare/family fare are just as hard to get right as dramatic works. In fact, it's probably harder to pull off writing/directing a farce than it is to get a boilerplate kitchen sink drama to work. 

I hope you can remember the name of this book. After seeing the revival I would love to read it too. I think reading analysis, whether professional criticism or more laid back discussions like those here, can only enchance ones enjoyment of a great work like Dolly. Admiration of fine craft is a wonderful thing! I never thought for a second while watching the Dolly revival about the construction of the book, but I'm able to know afterward that the strong book did indeed affect my enjoyment in a positive way. 

This idea of anti-analysis and dissection is an interesting one. I find very few people who oppose dissecting and analyzing films- family, comedy, horror or drama- but when it comes to theater, especially when it comes to overpriced Broadway fare we are meant to turn or (critical) minds off. 

To address After Eight's concern of "party poopers" I don't think anyone goes into a show hoping they waste their time and money just so they can rush to the internet to write a bad review. That's absurd. Sometimes we all need to come here to vent after we are disappointed, or worse angry, at what we've seen, but I assume people aren't critcizing others for enjoying a show, but rather to work out what went wrong for themselves and possibly to hear other perspectives and viewpoints. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#201ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:56pm

After Eight said: "That way, we would have less party poops!"

You've been known to jump into discussion threads about PassionSunday in the Park with George, or Fun Home just to point out how puerile and worthless these shows are and how they epitomize the decay of American culture. How exactly would you characterize that behavior?

carnzee
#202ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/1/17 at 8:10am

Whizzer, it's been 15 years since I read the book, but I did a search on Amazon and I have a hunch the book is Broadway Musicals by Martin Gottfried. You may have it on your shelf! It's a 7 lb coffee table book, lots of gorgeous pictures. I may have to buy one. 

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#203ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 12:43am

Looks like changes are definitely coming!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSK0RTLF8En/?taken-by=japierce3

Now I'm excited to go see it again. "This version of the show" makes it sound like there'll be more than minor tweaks - looking forward! Fingers crossed that Anastasia gets a solid multi-year run and tour :)

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#204ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 9:17am

Glad i'm going the week before opening, so I can see all (or majority of) the changes

tbaker2
#205ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/2/17 at 11:34am

I saw this show last Tuesday, so fairly early in the process of previews! However, I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the show except one thing which was the lengthy book. Act I was about 1-1/2 hours - so they need to definitely chop that down a little!

But the choreography was really great, especially the ballet number!

The costumes were gorgeous - I think there could possible be a few changes with the trains of the dresses because the ladies were having a little trouble maneuvering those around!

The set design was genius - the projection backdrops were stunning, and the turntable idea was great! I don't think those stage managers ever stop working from the minute that curtain comes up! 

The score was beautiful! I don't know what other people were listening to if they said it was 'dull & boring!' I thought they are were beautifully written! My favorite song has to be 'In a Crowd of Thousands' in Act II. Another favorite of mine that was very chilling and had a gorgeous tenor solo moment was 'Stay, I Pray You.' 

Now, the cast! WOW! Christy Altomare is a spit of fire. Derek Klena's performance is beautiful in every way. John Bolton is hilarious, along with Caroline O'Connor who has an incredible dance number! Ramin Karimloo is a great villain & definitely delivers a great performance! Mary Beth Peil - wow! So gorgeous all around! The moment she realizes Anya is Anastasia, she was heartbreaking to watch! 

Tony Nominations: 

DEFINITELY - Christy Altomare, Derek Klena, Mary Beth Peil

gaft24
#206ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 4:33pm

Saw it on opening preview and loved it!!! I am a big fan of the movie so a bit biased.

SPOILERS

Did anyone else found the Once Upon a December/Journey to the Past finale odd? I liked it much better in the Hartford version (just a reprise of Once Upon a December, with Dimitri and Anya dancing on the turntable, echoing the music box). 

Gleb is much better, but still would love him to be just a bit more menacing. 

Also, although the Paris number works better... I really missed Anya's quick change during the song. I think it helped motivate Dimitri for his verse, as well as adding some excitement on stage. I also missed the Gertrude Stein jokes! 

disneybroadwayfan22
#207ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 4:46pm

Yeah, gaft24, I heard about them. Questions:

1. What's Paris Holds the Key to Your Heart like now? 

2. What is the finale like now? Are the Romanovs in it?

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#208ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 4:58pm

I'll be seeing it next Wednesday night, and I haven't been this excited for a show in a long time!

leefowler
#209ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 6:36pm

A lot of people here feel disrespected if someone doesn't like a show they love. They start calling people haters, and over-analytical. Of course, when THEY hate a show it's a different matter...

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#210ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 6:43pm

This may have been asked before, but is "At The Beginning" in the musical? It played at the end of the film going in to the credits, and was a decent pop hit. 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#211ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 7:38pm

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "This may have been asked before, but is "At The Beginning" in the musical? It played at the end of the film going in to the credits, and was a decent pop hit. 

I don't believe it is, no. But Christy Altomare and Derek Klena did sing it at the Broadway Princess Party! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y86buJDVbk

Disappointed to hear the "music box" tableau is gone from the finale - I thought that was a really nice bit of thematic imagery.

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 07:38 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
#212ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:08pm

Robin, it's played as a tradition before the finale.

and I'm guessing the music box is gone bc of the new theater

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#213ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:42pm

No, "At the Beginning" isn't in the show. I was hoping for it too!!

sassylash3s
#214ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:00pm

I saw the show last night, and if I'm not mistaken, there is a little bit of "At the Beginning" played as part of a fanfare during one of the later scenes.  Can anyone corroborate?

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#215ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:01pm

I'm hoping they ante-up Anya and Dmitry's relationship during previews. There were a few story tweaks that I found disappointing.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Anya knows from the beginning that Dmitri is out for a reward for bringing her in, though he downplays it. So at the ballet when they had the big blow-out fight in the movie, she's instead annoyed at herself for going along with Dmitry instead of being furious at Dmitry.

The fact that she knows who he is all along also cuts a lot of the tension between her and Dmitry, since he's not trying to hide who he really is. 

Another source of tension that's cut is Dmitry knowing that Anya is the princess while Anya herself doesn't know - in the show they realize it simultaneously. (That moment is my absolute favorite of the show and has fantastic emotional chemistry, but it's a short moment.)

Finally, at the end of the movie, gives up Anya because he doesn't fit in her new life, gets in line for the train, then pulls out a rose and decides to come back for her (just in time to help fight off Rasputin). In the show, he doesn't come back - Anya comes after him. 

So while Dmitry's character arc in the movie is powerful and transformative, from solo trickster conman to loving and sacrificing for Anya, his arc in the show is very weak. Derek Klena plays the heck out of the character and is one of the things I love about the show - I'll forever be a Dmitry fangirl - there's so much emotional and romantic material that was unneccesarily left at the stage door. 

ALEX SF
#216ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:04pm

It was amazing show.

disneybroadwayfan22
#217ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:33pm

sassylash3s said: "I saw the show last night, and if I'm not mistaken, there is a little bit of "At the Beginning" played as part of a fanfare during one of the later scenes.  Can anyone corroborate?

"

^^Yup, I can confirm.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#218ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:59pm

Malka2 said: "I'm hoping they ante-up Anya and Dmitry's relationship during previews. There were a few story tweaks that I found disappointing.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Anya knows from the beginning that Dmitri is out for a reward for bringing her in, though he downplays it. So at the ballet when they had the big blow-out fight in the movie, she's instead annoyed at herself for going along with Dmitry instead of being furious at Dmitry.

The fact that she knows who he is all along also cuts a lot of the tension between her and Dmitry, since he's not trying to hide who he really is. 

Another source of tension that's cut is Dmitry knowing that Anya is the princess while Anya herself doesn't know - in the show they realize it simultaneously. (That moment is my absolute favorite of the show and has fantastic emotional chemistry, but it's a short moment.)

Finally, at the end of the movie, gives up Anya because he doesn't fit in her new life, gets in line for the train, then pulls out a rose and decides to come back for her (just in time to help fight off Rasputin). In the show, he doesn't come back - Anya comes after him. 

So while Dmitry's character arc in the movie is powerful and transformative, from solo trickster conman to loving and sacrificing for Anya, his arc in the show is very weak. Derek Klena plays the heck out of the character and is one of the things I love about the show - I'll forever be a Dmitry fangirl - there's so much emotional and romantic material that was unneccesarily left at the stage door. 

This is really interesting, because I never thought of some of this. In the movie, I always assumed Anya knew he was at least a little on the shady side, given that she met him when looking for illicit travel papers, and then the bit on the train where they had to hide because they had forged out-of-date papers pretty well confirmed that he and Vlad weren't on the up-and-up. That was one thing that always confused me in the movie, because it seemed like she should have put two and two together before the fight at the ballet.

But without Rasputin, there's nothing for him to return to help her with, and so I suppose leaving her to her "better" life is the most heroic sacrifice he could make in this version. All that said, though, I'm glad to hear Derek is doing such a strong job finding the nuances.

Can you tell Dmitry was my favorite "prince" character as a kid? :)

gaft24
#219ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 4:06pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Yeah, gaft24, I heard about them. Questions:

1. What's Paris Holds the Key to Your Heart like now? 

(Remember this is all from the first preview... stuff might have changed already) It started almost the same, but now Anya is already in the pink dress and new hair. They took out most Gertrude Stein jokes, and I think they probably took out at least one verse ("Picasso is painting his muse", I remember because I was looking forward to it). Coco Chanel is gone too (because no quick change) so it is just Dimitri singing his verse looking at her. The mini Eiffel tower is gone... though they do have a projection of them going up on the elevator to the top of the Eiffel tower with fireworks (much more like in the movie). It's cool, but a little more gimmicky and less stylistic than the ending of the number at Hartford in my opinion. 

There was also no painter at the end of the number, so Anya just starts singing "Crossing a Bridge". Overall, I felt there were less artists/icons and more regular Parisians than in Hartford... which I didn't love. 

2. What is the finale like now? Are the Romanovs in it?

Yes they are! It is basically the same... I think even the music box tableu is still there, it just happens so fast that you don't really get what it is supposed to be. From what I recall, it is the same until the last line (I think it was "things my heart used to know" ANASTASIA Previewsand then it cuts to Anya & Dimitri singing "One step at a time, one hope then another" and then back to "Once Upon a December" but with "Journey to the Past"'s ending chords. It's pretty, but a little bit odd, and feels somewhat forced. I'm crossing my fingers that it goes back to the Hartford ending. 

"

Updated On: 4/6/17 at 04:06 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
#220ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 4:19pm

I don't get why they took the fun and the suspense of PHTKTYH and I'm confused why she already has the dress. The reveal of the dress was the best part. Love the Anastasia reference with the elevator, but how does that look like with the ensemble?

disneybroadwayfan22
#221ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 5:15pm

BUMP

What time does the show end on Wednesday matinees? Looking at bus times

curel1
#222ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 5:54pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I don't get why they took the fun and the suspense of PHTKTYH and I'm confused why she already has the dress. The reveal of the dress was the best part. Love the Anastasia reference with the elevator, but how does that look like with the ensemble?

"

They said it was from the first preview, they've made changes since then

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#223ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 6:19pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "BUMP

What time does the show end on Wednesday matinees? Looking at bus times

Disney Running time: 2:20 so about 4:20 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

disneybroadwayfan22
#224ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 6:33pm

Robbie-Oh wow, thanks!

Curel-Yeah, Shina Ann Morris just posted on Instagram that they are making changes to PHTKTYH, but unfortuanely one of them is cutting Josephine Baker off the number. 

Videos