pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 91

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#2250FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/12/22 at 8:31pm

Auggie27 said: "Agreed. The show doesn’t have a clear point of view about Arnstein. He’s a romantic ideal - a coveted “get” that creates the end of the first act - and then he’s suddenly an obstacle to Fanny’s continued success, even as she continues to sing of her willingness to accommodate his every whim (the lyric to “Music That Makes Me Dance” render her invisible in his very presence.)"

I think that IS the clear point of view. He's gorgeous, he's seemingly a catch--and it turns out he isn't a catch and Fanny's better off without him. This isn't any more of a contradiction or any less of a clear point of view than it turning out that the Wizard who is supposed to save Dorothy and her friends is actually revealed as a very flawed fake.

Updated On: 6/12/22 at 08:31 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2251FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/12/22 at 9:09pm

https://www.queerty.com/nude-leaks-funny-girl-flop-patti-melts-5-biggest-scandals-broadway-season-20220610

Probably not the best press for the show..

A Director
#2252FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/12/22 at 11:56pm

A little history about the show.

* Out of town, audiences  didn't like Nick, so were rewrites to make the character likable.

* Jerry Robbins said Babs was a star in the making and she should be the focus of the show.  That's what happened. As a result, Nick is a thankless role.

* The critics of the original production said the show wasn't good.

* The original production was nominated for Tony Awards, but didn't win any.

*  For the show, as written, to work today, a strong actor is need  to play the title role. Beanie does not  come close to the requirements.

* The problem with the show has always been the book. Harvey's tinkering around the edges doesn't help. The authors' estates would never allow the original book to be thrown out for a new and improved one.  FUNNY GIRL is what it is.

hearthemsing22
#2253FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 12:07am

With the bad press, lack of Tony/award love…I hate speculating, but how long do we give this revival? 

LarryD2
#2254FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 9:22am

hearthemsing22 said: "With the bad press, lack of Tony/award love…I hate speculating, but how long do we give this revival?"

It's selling relatively well, and the audiences don't seem to care whether Feldstein is performing or not. I expect it will continue through the summer and into the early fall at least. Jane Lynch mentioned in an interview that she's contracted through the end of September -- if that's when other principal contracts are up, it might be a way to gracefully close the show with a respectable run.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#2255FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 10:04am

I especially enjoy reading those who haven't actually seen the production or its UK predecessor schooling those of us who have in how the show works, how well this star remints the role, and/or why our criticism is unfounded. But the air is clotted with off-site expertise this Monday morning after the Tonys. People who didn't attend a single production this season have taken to Twitter and FB to tell us what's wrong with Broadway.  I went 17 times, starting with Dana H culminating in Funny Girl and A Strange Loop the last two weeks, and was told I avoided "the more challenging material."  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 6/13/22 at 10:04 AM

PipingHotPiccolo
#2256FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 10:13am

hearthemsing22 said: "With the bad press, lack of Tony/award love…I hate speculating, but how long do we give this revival?"

LOL- you hate speculating! Y'all loooove speculating. The show is selling well. By any logical metric, there is no reason to faux worry about "how long" a well-selling, recently-opened revival has. Only in the delusional universe of these boards is this even a question worth asking. Producers might well close it when Beanie/Lynch leave, but Company is struggling hella lot more than this is (despite being a much better production of a much better show). 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#2257FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 1:17pm

Auggie27 said: "I especially enjoy reading those who haven't actually seen the production or its UK predecessor schooling those of us who have in how the show works, how well this star remints the role, and/or why our criticism is unfounded. But the air is clotted with off-site expertise this Monday morning after the Tonys. People who didn't attend a single production this season have taken to Twitter and FB to tell us what's wrong with Broadway. I went 17 times, starting with Dana H culminating in Funny Girl and A Strange Loop the last two weeks, and was told I avoided "the more challenging material.""

How dare people have an opinion and comment on a comment board where all comments are welcome! Maybe you need to start your own site, and people must upload a copy of their ticket stubs before joining the conversation. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#2258FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 1:23pm

joevitus said: "How dare people have an opinion and comment on a comment board where all comments are welcome! Maybe you need to start your own site, and people must upload a copy of their ticket stubs before joining the conversation."

You seem to be confusing access with insulation for criticism. 

As I read what Auggie said, they were calling out people for ignorant [in the literal meaning of the word] comments. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2259FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 2:00pm

Auggie27 said: "I went 17 times, starting with Dana H ""

That right there deserves an award of its own.

hearthemsing22
#2260FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 3:51pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "hearthemsing22 said: "With the bad press, lack of Tony/award love…I hate speculating, but how long do we give this revival?"

LOL- you hate speculating! Y'all loooove speculating.

oh please shut up 

The show is selling well. By any logical metric, there is no reason to faux worry about "how long" a well-selling, recently-opened revival has. Only in the delusional universe of these boards is this even a question worth asking. Producers might well close it when Beanie/Lynch leave, but Company is struggling hella lot more than this is (despite being a much better production of a much better show).

"

PipingHotPiccolo
#2261FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 6:55pm

hard to summon a response to a come-back like that, WELL SAID!

The hatred for Funny Girl is simply delusional at this point- some of it pure venom re Beanie, sad, but now we're pretending to worry about its grosses as it continues to make a profit? Silly people gonna be silly.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Penna2
#2263FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 7:53pm

I had to laugh at this quote from John Oleksinski's review of the Tony's last night  But aside from the all-important Best Musical prize, it’s the telecast’s performances that have audience members rushing to Telecharge to buy tickets to new shows… or choosing to see “The Phantom of the Opera” for the 43rd time instead. https://nypost.com/2022/06/12/tony-awards-2022-lousy-show-dissed-stephen-sondheim/

As it turns out my hanging out here was because FG was the only show I was able to comment on with any validity. And, because of Ramin. Same with Phantom, which will consistently present something new to talk about, even if it's a new bow on Christine's Wishing Dress...also because of Ramin to see if anyone can possibly be a better Phantom (no...after multiple views).

A friend of mine was recently in NYC for her umpteenth visit to Phantom - she said her credit card company must wonder at all the charges to her account. This trip she saw FG with Julie - loved her, loved the songs, though the show was meh. Oh, yeah, and loved Ramin, which is why she went to see it. She also caught 2 performances of Phantom. That was it. 3 shows and home. Her other choice was Music Man, but opted for Phantom again.

If I had the opportunity, I would have gone to see Music Man. As good as Company may be, I would rather listen to different versions of Being Alive on You Tube - Barbra again and, yes, Ramin. Same with Follies. Losing My Mind (Collins, Peters and Mazzie) and Too Many Mornings (Victoria Clark & Ron Raines). Otherwise Sondheim's musicals are depressing as hell to sit through more than once. JMO. So Company would not have been on my list.

Six, possibly - but the choice between a sure thing and a possibly with only X number of dollars to spend - people (like me) will go with the familiar. (Auggie 27you are a major fan and I wish I lived closer to NYC, if only to see the shows.) Oleksinski's point being, however, the Tony's didn't really advertise the shows very well and he felt they gave Sondheim a short shrift.

In sum, I don't like Beanie as Fanny - didn't like her before the show even opened, but I love Ramin (could you guess) and I love the songs. I learned the score 50 years ago, by wearing out an old LP) and have sung one or more of the songs probably at least once a week since then. So FG will survive so long as people want to hear songs they love. I do wish I had been able to see Julie because she has probably come the closest to representing the real Fanny (as much as possible with the fictionalization). Even more so than Barbra, who seemed to be playing Barbra. Same with MM and, most definitely with Phantom of the Opera.

Updated On: 6/13/22 at 07:53 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#2264FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 8:21pm

Penna2 said: "
In sum, I don't like Beanie as Fanny - didn't like her before the show even opened,"

Ya dont say, you were gunning for her, knives drawn, from the start? I couldn't tell.

Penna2
#2265FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 8:47pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Penna2 said: "
In sum, I don't like Beanie as Fanny - didn't like her before the show even opened,"

Ya dont say, you were gunning for her, knives drawn, from the start? I couldn't tell.
"

Never made a secret of it. When they put out that clip of the rehearsals, I knew she wasn't up for the job and the fix was in. It is what it is. Doesn't mean I don't think the show will have a good run. I hope it does for the others in the cast, especially Julie who has actually paid the due to have the role at all.

Anything else of substance you want to add, or just more snark?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#2266FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 9:04pm

Someone needs to do a star chart of Penna2 and Beanie to see if there are astrological incompatibilities.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2267FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 9:10pm

poisonivy2 said: "Someone needs to do a star chart of Penna2 and Beanie to see if there are astrological incompatibilities."

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

PipingHotPiccolo
#2268FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/13/22 at 11:57pm

Penna2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Penna2 said: "

"

Never made a secret of it. When they put out that clip of the rehearsals, I knew she wasn't up for the job and the fix was in. It is what it is. Doesn't mean I don't think the show will have a good run. I hope it does for the others in the cast, especially Julie who has actually paid the due to have the role at all.

"

i think my snark/substance quotient is pretty solid. but im glad we're on the same page, as ive watched your breathless nastiness about Beanie and FG for a while now, each diatribe more unhinged than the next. (I thought Beanie was, to quote Jesse Green, good but not amazing, always funny and incredibly likeable-- which, you know, matters to rational people... but Green, too, was probably just paid to praise her by the horrible Feldstein family who gave her the role in the first place, am I getting that right?). 

Anyway your most recent "i hate to speculate but maybe FG will be a financial flop and close soon" baited me. Its just too obviously disconnected from reality. But carry on, I'm still waiting to hear how Hugh Jackman's COVID diagnosis is somehow part of the same fake Covid plot to keep Beanie from performing at the Tony Awards (that she was never going to perform at, and which she actually attended). Keep it up.

Penna2
#2269FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:02am

poisonivy2 said: "Someone needs to do a star chart of Penna2 and Beanie to see if there are astrological incompatibilities."

Already did. I'm the astrologer here, remember? 

Really would like to know what your problem is with astrology, you make a dig about it whenever you can. Do you even know anything about it besides sun sign charts in the newspaper? Didn't think so. Ramin gave some good advice in a Tik Tok yesterday. Don't tweet about something you know nothing about. 

Penna2
#2270FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:04am

BrodyFosse123 said: "poisonivy2 said: "Someone needs to do a star chart of Penna2 and Beanie to see if there are astrological incompatibilities."

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
"

The astrology thing really bothers you folks, doesn't it? 

Penna2
#2271FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:19am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Penna2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Penna2 said: "

"

"

i think my snark/substance quotient is pretty solid. but im glad we're on the same page, as ive watched your breathless nastiness about Beanie and FG for a while now, each diatribe more unhinged than the next. (I thought Beanie was, to quote Jesse Green, good but not amazing, always funny and incredibly likeable-- which, you know, matters to rational people... but Green, too, was probably just paid to praise her by the horrible Feldstein family who gave her the role in the first place, am I getting that right?).

Anyway your most recent "i hate to speculate but maybe FG will be a financial flop and close soon" baited me. Its just too obviously disconnected from reality. But carry on, I'm still waiting to hear how Hugh Jackman's COVID diagnosis is somehow part of the same fake Covid plot to keep Beanie from performing at the Tony Awards (that she was never going to perform at, and which she actually attended). Keep it up.
"

Sounds like you are going off the deep end. What Covid plot? Ramin tested positive and he took his 10 days off and came back. Probably kept a lot of people from seeing him to qualify for the Tonys. It was fairly clear here, from those who are in the "know," that the show would not be represented. I'm not the only one here who has commented on her lack of theatrical skills. 

I thought it interesting you took one small comment from a very long post to once again attack. BTW it was someone else you jumped on about speculating. You like Beanie - great. I don't. Your privilege. My privilege. 

The show wouldn't exist except for her presence, so I give her perks for that. Otherwise, I suggest you watch this video to see what Broadway leading ladies used to be like  https://youtu.be/VlBM1ZUBGBg. Excuse me for having higher expectations and voicing them.

As with LornaJoe, I shall bid you all farewell. None of needs the hostility in our lives. 

bk
#2272FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:03am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Penna2 said: "

"

You joined today just to come here and make with these posts of yours?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#2273FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 9:56am

Penna2 said: "poisonivy2 said: "Someone needs to do a star chart of Penna2 and Beanie to see if there are astrological incompatibilities."

Already did. I'm the astrologer here, remember?

Really would like to know what your problem is with astrology, you make a dig about it whenever you can. Do you even know anything about it besides sun sign charts in the newspaper? Didn't think so. Ramin gave some good advice in a Tik Tok yesterday. Don't tweet about something you know nothing about.
"

My problem with astrology is that it's just not something intelligent, rational people actually believe in. And the fact that you've done star charts for the Funny Girl leads shows how lacking in boundaries you are, because that's creepy.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#2274FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/22 at 10:20am

bk said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Penna2 said: "

"

You joined today just to come here and make with these posts of yours?
"

And yet the posts are accurate. Maybe they've been reading but hadn't joined. Having been here the entire time, the knives were indeed drawn from the start and continue to be. 

Videos