pixeltracker

going through old playbills is fun!

going through old playbills is fun!

eatlasagna
#1going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 7:13pm

ok, so i'm cleaning out my garage and i found all these playbills from national tours that came to san diego about ten years ago. i was reading my Grease playbill (starring charo and erik estrada!! haha) and the person playing Eugene was Matt Cavenaugh! it says it was his very first national tour!

also, i have a friend who is in love with Ricky Ullman. i will admit that i think Phil of the Future is a funny show and it's on of the few rare disney shows i like. anyways, i was reading the King and I tour playbill with Maureen McGovern and it said that Ricky Ullman played her son!

it's so weird going back and reading all these playbills and remembering that you saw people before they were famous or before they had their big breaks... also a blast from the past because i remember the productions, but only a few cast members... other playbills i found:

Evita staring Raul Esparza
Cabaret starring Norbert Leo Butz
Footloose starring Richard H. Blake and Christian Borle
Chicago starring Charlotte D'Amboise... damn she's been doing this role for a LOOOONG time

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 7:22pm

I love it too. I didn't realize I saw Susan Egan in Bye Bye Birdie until just a few years ago when I was going through some playbills.

Was Charo the teacher or Rizzo? lol

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 7:26pm

I know I saw Miss Saigon in Toronto with Norm Lewis. That was a long time ago.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#3re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 7:38pm

One of the neatest keepsakes I have inherited from my mother are her old Playbills- I was SO jealous that she saw Bebe Neuwirth in the original "A Chorus Line!"

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#4re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 7:46pm

I saw Nick Jonas in Anne Get Your Gun. I could probably sell it on eBay to some crazed preteen, but it was my first Broadway show, so I'm keeping it for posterity.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#5re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 8:40pm

Oh, I love that game!

I think the only really good one I have is my '93 Joseph... playbill - Marc Kudisch as one of the brothers. :) I'll have to go back through and see if I have anything else great!

www.kickfornick.com

bwaylvsong
#6re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:29pm

BatB at the Palace with Kerry Butler and Marc Kudisch.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:38pm

I guess I am going to have to look through some of my old Playbills tonight!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#8re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:42pm

it always makes me laugh to look at my Sound of Music revival Playbill with Laura Benanti in the ensemble. I just wish I could find my Annie Playbill with Sutton Foster as Star-to-Be.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 11:04pm

I just wish I could find my Annie Playbill with Sutton Foster as Star-to-Be.

Argh! I had one of those too! I sold it. re: going through old playbills is fun! (When Sutton was still Eponine.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#10re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 11:47pm

I went through some of my old ones and the two that really stuck out to me were Norbert Leo Butz in Cabaret and Hinton Battle in Ragtime. I was so young when i saw both of these shows, it was a nice stroll down memory lane.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#11re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/4/09 at 11:55pm

I have one of Sutton Foster in SOUTH PACIFIC pre-MILLIE in La Jolla.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#12re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:14am

I saw a regional production of Les Mis about two years ago, and I just found my playbill for it and apparently Richard Todd Adams played Javert and John Cudia played Valjean. There goes MY memory...

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#13re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:16am

This isn't a playbill but I wish I could get my hands on the US pilot of Red Dwarf with Craig Bierko as Lister and Hinton Battle as The Cat.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:30am

I saw a regional production of Les Mis about two years ago, and I just found my playbill for it and apparently Richard Todd Adams played Javert and John Cudia played Valjean. There goes MY memory...

Marriott Lincolnshire! And Chris Peluso was Marius.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:31am

The fun part is looking at old ticket stubs and seeing how much cheaper it used to be.

eatlasagna
#16re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:31am

that is not fun! damn ticket prices! lol

Tati
#17re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:43am

I love going through old playbills! I keep playbills of shows I've been in too, and it's funny to look through them and see the people who were in shows with me. I had totally forgotten that Burke Moses was in a regional production of Beauty and the Beast with me years ago! And when Pal Joey with Matthew Risch opened, I could've sworn he looked familiar. Turns out I was in a production of Joseph with him five years ago. He was Levi. Crazy!!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#18re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:19am

Hehe, found it...a really bad copy but I found the lame first Red Dwarf pilot before they recast Hinton Battle.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3ZUrduNUs

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud-dPqgmRR0

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc4BR7UnSmA

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#19re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:23am

I also love going through old programmes re: going through old playbills is fun!.

Wheresmyvoice
#20re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:51pm

I went back to my playbills after reading this thread and I was surprised to see that I saw Aaron Tveit in Rent. It says he took leave from Ithaca College to do it too, it was his first national tour.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#21re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:56pm

Big was my first Broadway show and I still have the playbill from it. I took it to the stage door when I was seeing Poppins and got Daniel Jenkins to sign it. He was very taken aback in a very good way that A someone like me was such a big fan of the show and B that I asked him to sign it. That led to a good fifteen min chat about various aspects of the show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#22re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:08pm

The Wizard of Oz on tour with Eartha Kitt as the Wicked Witch is my favorite.

Dollypop
#23re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:30pm

Yes, going through old Playbills can be fun and enlightening, however, my Playbills from the early 60's are crumbling. They've not only yellowed with age but are literally falling apart because of the acid used in processing the paper.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#24re: going through old playbills is fun!
Posted: 7/5/09 at 6:41pm

One of my favorites is my Playbill from the 1982(?) production of Othello with James Earl Jones and Christopher Plummer. It's always makes me happy to know I saw Dianne Weist a Desdemona and Kelsey Grammer as Cassio before I knew who they were.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!