pixeltracker

Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At The Golden Gate Theatre 9/18

Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At The Golden Gate Theatre 9/18

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#1Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At The Golden Gate Theatre 9/18
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:28pm

Click Here to Read Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At The Golden Gate Theatre 9/18
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Rod_Gilfry_And_Carmen_Cusack_Will_Lead_SOUTH_PACIFIC_Tour_Launches_At_The_Golden_Gate_Theatre_918_20090723

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:40pm

This is some of the weirdest casting I've heard in a long time.

Carmen Cusack is certainly talented, but isn't she a little long in the tooth to play Nellie Forbush?

And isn't Keala Settle young? I remember seeing her as Tracy in the HAIRSPRAY tour some years ago.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/23/09 at 03:40 PM

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#2re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:44pm

I was hoping I wasnt the only one who though Cusack wouldnt "work" as Nellie...I just can't see it...

I'll take the wind and soar.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:46pm

I thought the same thing about Cusack. I saw her as Fantine twice (in the pre-Shanghai Les Miz cast) and thought she sounded fine, but had a rather cold presence.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

WOSQ
#4re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:03pm

Rod (or Rodney to us opera queens) Gilfrey on the other hand, would make a fine father for my children. The ultimate baby-daddy.

Stanley in Previn's opera A Streetcar Named Desire.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

heo1128
#5re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:05pm

Carmen Cusack doesn't strike me as an ingenue...at all.

heo1128
#6re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:05pm

Arg this always happens! Updated On: 7/23/09 at 04:05 PM

mina3
#7re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:57pm

I'm thrilled for Carmen. She doesn't *look* like the typical Nellie Forbush, but I'd still love to see her in the show. I think her performance will be great. re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At

TheatreDork2
#8re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:59pm

Carmen ALWAYS looks pissed off.

bwayfan7000
#9re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:07pm

Interesting...Cusack was TERRIFIC as Elphaba when I saw her on the Wicked tour over a year ago, but Nellie is more of a "Glinda" type. Cusack does not read like a Forbush at all. Plus, she looks more like Margaret Hamliton that any Elphaba I've ever seen, so this is some straaaange casting, indeed. Though that's not to say she won't sound wonderful as far as singing goes.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#10re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:13pm

Damn! Rodney Gilfry was who I wanted to play Emile when the show was announced for Broadway. I loved Paulo Szot, but Rodney Gilfry has a more powerful voice, IMO. So jealous of whoever gets to see him.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#11re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:36pm

I really liked Carmen as Elphaba, but I can't see her as Nellie.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#12re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:41pm

Let's hope that she'll surprise us. It's such a beautiful production.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 6:24pm

When was Nellie Forbush ever an ingenue role?

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#14re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 7:00pm

Well I recall seeing Carmen as Christine in POTO around a decade ago and was perfectly ingenue esque

Although its been a few years since of course! I'm sure she will be fine. This is why casting directors audition folk rather than rely on message boards.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#15re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 7:02pm

Carmen could definitely play an ingenue, without a question. The problem is, with Nellie Forbush is that she is an ingenue but she's a CUTE ingenue, not a beautiful young woman like Christine. Carmen fits the beautiful young woman role, not so much the cute little "cockeyed optimist" role.

But I'm still excited to see her do it. I loved her in Wicked, and SP is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#16re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 7:12pm

I'm really happy for Carmen. This is a great opportunity for her.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#17re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 10:25pm

Matt as Billis? I'm sure he'd be good, but am I the only one taken aback by this?

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/23/09 at 10:34pm

Carmen will rock it and I am so happy she is no longer Elphaba. I dont want her to shred her voice. She will be amazing.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#19re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/24/09 at 3:03am

I'm wondering...Nellie is not that vocally grueling of a role, she is pretty much all personality and physicality. Do you think Carmen can do it?

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#20re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/24/09 at 10:10am

I saw the show on broadway so I dont know if ill catch the tour or not but after seeing Rod Gilfry as Lancelot this past summer at Ravinia, I certainly would love to hear him sing the score. I find it to be an excellent choice.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/24/09 at 11:53am

This casting is intriguing enough to me that I would consider going to Philadelphia or Hartford to see it.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#22re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/24/09 at 7:02pm

Rod Gilfry is an excellent choice. He will be a much sexier Emile than Szot.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

tytonius
#23re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/24/09 at 8:56pm

BroadwayBaby 6 ,

Gilfry isn't going to be sexier then Paolo, I am sorry.
Szot is a god on stage. I just saw the show last week. He's unbelievable and brings the house down every single night...
he really deserved his Tony.
I am sorry to disappoint you. I just love Szot

Gilfry will be ok but If you want the real thing you'll have to come to New York...
It.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#24re: Rod Gilfry And Carmen Cusack Will Lead SOUTH PACIFIC Tour, Launches At
Posted: 7/25/09 at 12:27am

Tytonius, THANK YOU! I think Szot is a god as well. His chemistry with Kelli is DAMN sexy. Plus everything he sings is effortless. I just love Paulo. Or maybe it's because I'm a biased Opera nerd.... lol

Videos