My thoughts on 9 TO 5

Yankeefan007
#1My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:22pm

It's not that 9 to 5 is a bad show. For a show to be bad, or good for that matter, you would have to feel something when you walk out. To paraphrase the late, great Ed Kleban, I felt nothing.

The blame can be placed on a lot of people. Patricia Resnick for crafting a cardboard script with bad jokes, 1-d characters and no conflict. Andy Blankenbuehler for misplaced choreography. Joe Mantello for deciding to go into show business.

But it can't be placed on Dolly Parton, who has written more than a few catchy tunes which are saddled, unfortunately, with a bland script that hinders everything.

Like Pierce Brosnan in the MAMMA MIA! film, Allison Janney can't sing, and she knows it, and she sells every damn song and punch line she's given and has a great time doing it. Stephanie J. Block can't act her way out of a paper bag, but really knows how to deliver bland power ballads. Marc Kudisch wants to get the hell out alive.

Megan Hilty has a great rack, a great rear end and can sing. She glows, even if all she's doing is imitating Dolly Parton.

Lethargic pacing, with more of a focus on moving people so they don't fall into a giant trap door or get hit by a moving piece of furniture than anything of importance. I would like for Joe Mantello to give up the charade that he's a director.

My TDF seat was in the center orchestra, row S, right in the middle. Not a bad value for $40.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#2re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:00am

wow that was unnecessarily rude and offensive

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:04am

I el oh elled at " Joe Mantello for deciding to go into show business." I think the score sucks, though.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#3re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:05am

Um... how was that rude? All he did was state his feelings on the show and why he thought it was bad.
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 12:05 AM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:07am

Not sure what part was offensive..?

I agree for the most part with you. And the Joe Mantello thing is pretty funny.

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#5re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:07am

"Megan Hilty has a great rack, a great rear end and can sing. She glows, even if all she's doing is imitating Dolly Parton. "

... You DO know she's padded in that, right?
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 12:07 AM

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#6re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:08am

"Megan Hilty has a great rack, a great rear end"

that's a pretty derogatory way to talk about a woman, excuse me but I thought it was unnecessary to talk about her like that

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#7re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:09am

wow that was unnecessarily rude and offensive

I found the review to be concise and pretty much on target re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5

Joe Mantello for deciding to go into show business.

BWAHHAHAHA!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5

No one calls the gay boys to task when they say things about the dudes in shows that get them off, so Yankee should have the right to talk about her rack with impunity.

Artemis2 Profile Photo
Artemis2
#10re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:11am

that's a pretty derogatory way to talk about a woman, excuse me but I thought it was unnecessary to talk about her like that

No it's not...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#11re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:17am

I disagree with most of this review. I agree that the book isn't great and the direction isn't the best (hardly his worst work though), but the only thing I agree 100% on is that SJB can't act her way out of a sack. If you think Megan is doing a good Dolly impression, you've never seen Dolly. Her performance is much more than that.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:23am

Thanks yankeefan for the review. I still have really mixed feelings about seeing the show. I would go if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive. I guess I could try lotto, but I like having my tickets before going to the city. Although I've heard it was an easy win.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#13re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:25am

Has anybody heard of a little show called Wicked that Joe Mantello directed?

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#14re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:28am

Dayum. Youz be hatin.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

CSonBroadway
#15re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:29am

"Has anybody heard of a little show called Wicked that Joe Mantello directed?"

Yes, and everyone hates it!

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#16re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:29am

I've heard of Wicked. But am I supposed to be impressed by it?

CSonBroadway
#17re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:31am

backwoodsbarbie is obviously a hopeless fangirl.

Don't worry honey, there are clinics for that!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#18re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:33am

I always love reading your thoughts, yankee. Thanks!

backwoodsbarbie
#19re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:41am

I find it hard to believe that everybody hates wicked when its been selling out for 6 years. I think the direction of 9 to 5 was horrific but was simply saying Joe Mantello isnt a complete failure when he has a successful show running. And honey please.....I know all about the fangirls and am not one of them. I can be as bitchy as everybody else about shows I don't like.

CSonBroadway
#20re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:42am

OKAYYYYYY!

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#21re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:05am

I dunno, I was thoroughly charmed by 9 to 5, for all its flaws. And I think Janney is a capable singer. Her voice isn't anything to write home about, but I wasn't cringing like I was when Brosnan sang in Mamma Mia.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:05am

"I find it hard to believe that everybody hates wicked when its been selling out for 6 years."

Wicked has been selling out because the source material is based on a very popular story, and the show puts a lot of effort into its marketing. Not necessarily because of Joe Mantello.

Average tourists want to see fun and, if they have kids, family-friendly shows. Wicked is both of these. Additionally, tourists like the music and the special effects. They may not always pay attention to flaws in the show, such as direction. The fact that this show is a hit doesn't mean it has had superb direction. It is the result of great marketing and familiar source material, as I mentioned.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 01:05 AM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#23re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:12am

Do you realize that theatre would flounder without dramatic criticism both personal and professional. If we don't set standards of taste, where are we left?

And Lion King has been selling out for years and years and I imagine most of the more studied posters on this board either loathe it or are indifferent.

backwoodsbarbie
#24re: My thoughts on 9 TO 5
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:18am

Afterall isn't this is what art is all about? We all have our opinions and connect to certain shows. One thing that can be said for the more commercial shows like Wicked, Lion King, etc is that they bring in audiences that otherwise might not see theatre. These shows often serve as a jumping off point for audiences to then see other shows that are maybe a little more edgy or unique. Either way, huge commercial hits help support broadway by garnering attention for the artform in general which then trickles down to other shows.

Videos