ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:36pm

According to a member on ATC. http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1771636

With Mike Nichols directing.

If true, can we say YAWN?? Streep again??

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#2re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:38pm

I'll yawn when Streep stops delivering amazing performances. While, yes, I'm sure other actresses would have done a fantastic job...with Streep I'm always guaranteed a layered and powerful performance.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:47pm

If EVER an original cast should do the movie, it's this one!

But I guess that ain't gonna happen, so I am fine with Streep but Roberts, NO NO NO NO!

Roscoe
#3re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:47pm

In re: Dame Meryl, I started yawning about twenty years ago.

Julia Roberts? Jesus.

And directed by Mike Nichols? Meh.

Looks like I can save another $12.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:50pm

I have to wonder, Roscoe, what the point of your posting here is... it seems your all posts are just variations of "I don't like that".

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

#5re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:52pm

Since when have you liked anything, Roscoe? You think that disliking everything makes you holier-than-thou. It just makes you look foolish and transparent.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:53pm

Meryl Streep would not have been my top choice for Violet but I've yet to see her deliver a less than impressive performance with Nichols behind the camera.
Now Julia Roberts as Barbara though? That's insanely boring! She possesses none of the strength and drive that the role needs. Laura Linney or Toni Collette would have been a gazillionth times better.
I had predicted Mike Nichols before, not surprised to hear he is directing this, and I think he'll do a great job with it.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Roscoe
#7re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 2:53pm

I'm as allowed to post a lack of interest in something as others are to post on how joyous and perfect things are.

Don't like my posts, feel free to not read them. Really, resorting to personal attacks because you don't like the tenor of my postings is beside the point.

As to the matter at hand, I'd much rather see Jessica Lange as Violet, maybe with Jonathan Demme directing. And Laura Linney would be excellent instead of the Roberts.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 9/11/09 at 02:53 PM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#8re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:02pm

I agree that Laura Linney would be a terrific choice for Barbara.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:04pm

A poster on here recently called roscoe "the Eeyore of BroadwayWorld." And I have to agree.

Roscoe
#10re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:12pm

At least I was posting on the topic at hand. Does it say anything anywhere about how all postings must be all sweetness and light and joy everlasting?

Here, if you insist---

Meryl's just the best EVER! LOL! re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie?? And Julia Roberts is so great she'll be the best EVER TOO! And with Mike Nichols directing this'll be as good as DOUBT, which was just the best movie ever so this will now be the best movie ever!

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#11re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:20pm

Nobody I know on this board says that. Everyone has different comments per thread. Some threads people like and other threads people don't.

And your "nice" comment makes you look like an ass.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:27pm

He gets like that when he doesn't listen to the Passing Strange cast recording for extended periods of time.

Once he does, he gets happy again!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#13re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:30pm

I love Roscoe.

Roscoe
#14re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:43pm

I always keep the spirit of PASSING STRANGE within me. The glory of STEW shall protect me from you naysayers.

So say nay, you jackals! I post with my head held high, trusting in the One Pure Faith of STEW ALMIGHTY to lay waste to those who would oppose me!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#15re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:46pm

I'll be shocked if I find myself seeing this movie. Why would I want to taint the stage memories?

I think Meryl is wonderful, but even though it's business it still grates my nerves that actreses who are as good or better work their butts off creating the parts and then she does the film and gets all the wide acclaim.

It may be reality, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Updated On: 9/11/09 at 03:46 PM

Roscoe
#16re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:51pm

Rudy2, shame on you for posting in such a negative manner. Suggesting that anyone can be as good as or better than Meryl Streep is BLASPHEMY!! How dare you question the divinity of Meryl Streep!!!!!!

Please report to the Meryl Streep Attitude Re-Adjustment Center, where you can be re-educated to the worship of the One True Artist Of Stage And Screen, La Divina Streep.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#17re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 3:52pm

^ I like you.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#18re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 5:01pm

As long as Meryl doesn't screw up Violet like she did Sister Aloysius, I'm fine. She is, without a doubt, our greatest living actress and all of her performances are masterfully done (barring "Doubt"). There is not a question in my mind that she can certainly turn on the scariness that Violet needs, but also the maternal aspects that are also needed to make Violet three-dimensional.

As for Julia... nah. Loved her in "Erin Brokovich" and "Pretty Woman." Everything else? Nah. All wrong. ESPECIALLY for Barbara. Maybe Helen Hunt? Haven't seen her around.

And Mike Nichols I'm not so sure about. His films, while great, are a little too slow-moving. "August" should move at breakneck speed. It's a rollercoaster and Mike Nichols is more of a ferris wheel.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#19re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 5:14pm

It's hard to believe Julia Roberts (or Helen Hunt) ever being convincing as daughter to Meryl Streep. I wouldn't write it off, though.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#20re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 5:54pm

Please no Julia Roberts!

My dream cast for a movie would include:
Cloris Leachman - Violet
Cate Blanchett (or Allison Janney) - Barb
Tony Collette - Ivy
(and that's all I got so far)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#21re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 5:59pm

Cloris Leachman is wayyyyyyyyyy too old. While Estelle Parsons is as well, it's easier to overlook that onstage than onscreen. Cloris LOOKS too old and IS too old. Meryl is age-appropriate.

heo1128
#22re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 6:01pm

While Meryl didn't immediately come to mind, I'm very intrigued. Laura Linney was my pic for Barbara, as well! And I think Toni Collette is WAY too old for Ivy. Isn't Ivy supposed to be like early 30's...?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 6:02pm

I would love Sissy Spacek and Toni Collette to team up for the film.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#24re: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the August:OC movie??
Posted: 9/11/09 at 6:10pm

Ivy is in her 40s. It says her exact age in the play (45?), but I forget. So I don't think Toni Collette would be too old.

Maybe Glenn Close as Vy? Sissy Spacek is another interesting choice. I love Meryl to death, but I just can't picture her at all... even though she pretty much can do anything.

Videos