BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#100re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 9:47am

That's John Simon's oddest kinda-rave since Flamingo Court.

But Allie Tripp? Is she related to Linda?

garyl
#101re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 9:59am

and good singing voices except for the girl who plays kim.And it has the original orchestrations for Put On A Happy Face. It's a great recording, but still the best is the obc

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#102re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 10:12am

How can some of you look at Funk's reviews as remotely "good?"

Brantley damned him with faint praise by saying:

"Closer to a Back Street Boys alumnus than Elvis, he’s not really right for the part. But he sings on key and appears to be enjoying himself. It’s nice to think that somebody is."

Talk about seriously lowering the curve here.

That's like saying "he showed up and remembered his lines." YAY! A RAVE! Mixed to positively goodly positive!

He was called a "missing Jonas Brother" in two reviews.

So, yeah, I can see just how good his notices are.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ZiggyCringe
#103re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 10:31am

"How can some of you look at Funk's reviews as remotely "good?"

Brantley damned him with faint praise by saying:

"Closer to a Back Street Boys alumnus than Elvis, he’s not really right for the part. But he sings on key and appears to be enjoying himself. It’s nice to think that somebody is."

Talk about seriously lowering the curve here."

I'm amazed as well. Firstly, he was DREADFUL. I'm flummoxed that a rational critic would view that non-hip-swiveling, horribly sang performance as something positive. (Which, as you pointed out, Brantley didn't, but other critics did.)

But every critic looks for a positive, and in this horrible mess, he was the "best of show," apparently.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#104re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 10:56am

In other words, D+ is the high score for this show.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#105re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 11:13am

Vincentelli's reviews are really starting to annoy me. She always seems pissed off when she writes a negative review. I mean did she really call the show "boneheaded"...?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#106re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 11:56am

In other words, D+ is the high score for this show.

Does that mean they get to enter their initials on the screen?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#107re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 1:05pm

Rockland Journal News(LoHud):
A bumbling ‘Bye Bye Birdie' doesn't fly on B'way
http://www.lohud.com/article/20091016/ENTERTAINMENT/910160315/1186/Entertainment0801/A-bumbling-‘Bye-Bye-Birdie--doesn-t-fly-on-B-way

Where is NY1 Review?.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#108re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 1:24pm

In hindsight, casting a real 14-year-old as Kim McAfee is tantamount to child abuse.

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#109re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 2:58pm

"So, I guess a cast recording is out of the question? Sucks. I was looking forward to one with better sound quality."

I was just listening to the OBC and marveling at how great it sounds. Very modern and clean with great presence.

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
lvpblues
#111re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 3:43pm

I have to say I think the original cast album is one of the best produced of all time. It sounds quite extraordinary, and is a better way to spend your time than going to the Henry Miller.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#112re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 3:49pm

Opening night Playbills are usually in color

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

Yankeefan007
#113re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 4:02pm

Not for shows that use black and white ones.

ZiggyCringe
#114re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:14pm

"I have to say I think the original cast album is one of the best produced of all time. It sounds quite extraordinary, and is a better way to spend your time than going to the Henry Miller."

Agreed. That OBC is terrific. I hope to heck that Kurt Deutsch isn't gonna preserve this one. I'd rather hear Ann Reinking and Tommy Tune.

Back to topic, even Roma apparently liked Funk. She hated the show, but enjoyed him.

Go figure.

landryjames2
#115re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:20pm

I liked Funk. But am trying to decide if I liked him just compared to everyone else, or if I liked him period.

The show is horrid.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#116re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:30pm

At least he has his looks.
re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews

Basely Tearful Profile Photo
Basely Tearful
#117re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:37pm

While the reviews provided me many giggles last evening into this morning, I'm truly depressed that this was Broadway's first revival of one of the greatest scores/books of the Golden Age. It's a charming gem of a show when done right. It was the show that hooked me on Musical Theatre and I still play the Broadway and London (Rivera was sick during the recording of the OBCR) fairly often.

I have to wonder if we would've gotten a commercial production (with more competent casting) if Jerry Zaks' Encores! concert hadn't been so disappointing.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#118re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:40pm

I just saw a commercial on t.v.; I love how it had NO pull quotes.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#119re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:47pm

The reviews came out like less than 24 hours ago...can they even put pull-quotes into a commercial and air it that quickly?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#120re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 5:59pm

Releasing a new block of tickets until 4/2010?

Maybe they know something I don't or have high hopes or are delusional. With the reviews they got, they will be lucky to make it until January.

This is the musical equivalent of the recent American Buffalo. How long before it starts showing up on TDF?

Poster Emeritus

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#121re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 6:02pm

Can they? I hadn't seen one previously, so I assumed they had waited until after it opened to air the commercials, and that they easily could have had it mostly put together and ready to go. But I could be wrong.

I honestly think this is a show that much of the potential audience pool won't even read or care about the reviews for. It's a classic and a crowd-pleaser; people will probably come anyway.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#122re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 6:14pm

They could have pulled a quote from the New York Times on Nolan... "Mr. Funk... seems more at ease onstage than anybody!" It's deceptive, but the words are there.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#123re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 6:16pm

I could barely even find any notable pull-quotes in the articles I read.

bk
#124re: BYE BYE BIRDIE Reviews
Posted: 10/16/09 at 6:26pm

"I have to say I think the original cast album is one of the best produced of all time. It sounds quite extraordinary, and is a better way to spend your time than going to the Henry Miller."

Exactly. And isn't it ever so amusing that WickedRocks makes the comment about better sound and then never responds to any of the posts asking him what he means by that or what he's talking about? Typical, really.