pixeltracker

Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...- Page 2

Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#25re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 3:32pm

when Norma Shearer slapped Olivia de Havilland at the Oscars.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#26re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 3:56pm

When Patti LuPone yelled at an audience member for taking pictures during the show. Oh, wait...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 4:17pm

...when Will Rogers Follies won the Best Musical Tony over Miss Saigon, The Secret Garden and Once on This Island.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 6:07pm

If & when a critic ever dissed the Merm.

When Merrick pulled his opening night stunt @ 42 nd St

When one night wonders like Gantry & Here's Where I Belong opened.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/29/09 at 06:07 PM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#29re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 6:39pm

Frank Wildhorn's hat trick on Broadway with Jekyll & HYDE, THe Scarlet Pimpernel and The Civil War.

Not to mention every time Scarlet Pimpernel came back!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 6:55pm

When What Makes Sammy Run, Golden Boy, Golden Rainbow & Superman opened.

Poster Emeritus

SporkGoddess
#31re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 7:10pm

Possibly when Phantom of the Opera beat Into the Woods for Best Musical.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mattbrain
#32re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 8:12pm

John Simon's infamous review of The Octet Bridge Club.

Elton John beating Michael John LaChiusa for Best Score back in 2000.

The original Broadway production of Chess (and how it was criminally overlooked for a Tony nomination for Best Score)

The controversy over the cast recording of Grand Hotel and David Carroll's death during the recording session.

Kathleen Freeman's tragic passing.

This cool new show by this guy named Tom Kitt called Feeling Electric.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 10/29/09 at 08:12 PM

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#33re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 8:54pm

Oh, I can imagine...

re: GYPSY 2/25 MATINEE
posted by: R&H4Life

Saw the show a week after opening and liked it, didn't love it. Styne's music was great as always (that overture, OMG) but does anyone actually think this Sondheim guy can write lyrics, even after WSS? So dark, so psychological, it didn't match the score IMO. Thank God Ethel wouldn't let him write the whole thing. It would have sunk the show. With any luck, it'll run through the rest of the year and he can make a nice living off the subsidiary rights. I don't see anyone hiring him for another project anytime soon.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#34re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 9:36pm

...when Donna McKechnie was the original Cassie in a A Chorus Line. She would have been shredded the same way poor Charlotte was. People would be talking about when Donna was out, when she missed a step, sang off key, etc.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SweetQintheLights
#35re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 10:40pm

...when Avenue Q won the Tony over Wicked.

Oh wait...

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#36re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 10:45pm

We've already done one "oh wait."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#37re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 10:50pm

"...when Donna McKechnie was the original Cassie in a A Chorus Line. She would have been shredded the same way poor Charlotte was. People would be talking about when Donna was out, when she missed a step, sang off key, etc."

???

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#38re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 10:53pm

Speaking of Donna and A Chorus Line, what about when she was nominated (and won) Best Leading Actress at the Tonys? And think of the arguments over whether Priscilla Lopez should've won instead of Kelly Bishop!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#39re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 11:10pm

madbrian, i mean that donna would have been under the same microscope that charlotte was and "every little step" she took would have been commented on nightly.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#40re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/29/09 at 11:16pm

McKechnie performed a number that was choreographed for her, and did it brilliantly. She would have survived the scrutiny.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Gothampc
#41re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 12:09am

"when Donna McKechnie was the original Cassie in a A Chorus Line."

I heard Donna tell a story that a boy would stand by the stage door every night as they came out. One night he said to Donna, "I saw you fall on your turn tonight." She could never figure out where he came from or how he got in to see the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#42re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 1:08am

Thought of another one-- the Evita movie casting over the years.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#43re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 1:31am

How long HAS BW.com been around for? (IThe forum)..have a lot of old posts been deleted? I think I can only go back to about 2005.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#44re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 1:35am

The site came before the boards, by a few months, I think.

From what I can glean from archive.org, that puts it at somewhere in 2003: https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.broadwayworld.com

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ThankstoPhantom
#45re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 1:45am

Camelot's changes post-opening.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#46re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 2:58am

The dreadful movie versions of Paint Your Wagon; Chorus Line, Rent, The Producers and Phantom of the Opera

Ed, the board *was* around to discuss the dreadful movie versions of Rent, The Producers and Phantom of the Opera.

Updated On: 10/30/09 at 02:58 AM

Ed_Mottershead
#47re: Can you imagine if BWW message boards were around when...
Posted: 10/30/09 at 11:52am

Sorry 'bout that. I guess I was stuck in a mind set about when I started on the board, not when the board itself started. My apologies and three lashes and all that good stuff.

BroadwayEd