Ragtime's January promotion

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 12:31am

When I was walking out of the Neil Simon this afternoon after Ragtime, I saw that they were giving out promotion fliers. They were for a buy one get one free offer. Something that I thought at first would be a good idea. This is because in my three times seeing this marvelous production (this afternoon being my third time) I have always heard people say as we are walking out of the theatre that they have to take this family member, or this friend to see this amazing production.

I would have thought that this promotion would have tapped well into that market and that it was wise to have the producers realize that those people do exist. However, what did shock me was that the offer included a discount code for the ability to buy the on ticket in the buy one get one free offer for around sixty bucks. It is not the first time I have heard a show doing a buy one get one free offer. However, this is the first time that I have seen a show give a discount on the ticket you have to buy.

Also, at least for the after lottery for the 2 PM performance, they were giving a discount for those that lost. And, that was that the people who lost the lotto could buy either an orchestra ticket or a front Mezz ticket for 33 dollars and 50 cents. Seats that are normally at the full price of 120. I am kind of surprised that they did that and I was kind of surprised to see half the orchestra empty. I don't know if it is that the show isn't selling, or if it was due to the fact that it was raining cats and dogs and it was the day after Christmas or whatever.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 12:34am

I always need to read your posts multiple times to understand what you are trying convey.

I must say, I don't know what you're talking about here.

" However, what did shock me was that the offer included a discount code for the ability to buy the on ticket in the buy one get one free offer for around sixty bucks. It is not the first time I have heard a show doing a buy one get one free offer. However, this is the first time that I have seen a show give a discount on the ticket you have to buy. "

What does that mean?
Updated On: 12/27/09 at 12:34 AM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 12:38am

I am trying to say that the buy one get on free promotion lets the buyer buy the ticket for a discounted price of 60 dollars rather then making the ticket buyer buy the one ticket at full price.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#3re: Ragtime's January promotion

I've been to several saturday matinees and it's usually quite full.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: Ragtime's January promotion

Oh, wow! You can get two tickets for $60 dollars??
That's pretty damn good.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#5re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 12:41am

Would you happen to have said code to post please?

...what? Someone had to ask...

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#6re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 12:41am

Most buy one get one free offers require you to buy the first ticket at full price (2 people see the show for $120 total). This offer allows your first ticket to be a discounted ticket (2 people see the show for $60 total or whatever the discount is.)

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

noplain
#7re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 2:57am

If they're discounting so many tickets, wouldn't it be better to just drastically drop the price of a full price ticket, and then advertise as "The Cheapest Tickets On Broadway!" or something similar?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 8:15am

I have the discount right in front of me. It is SIMPLY a buy one get I've free--there us no other discount. I'm guessing that what happened at the box office had little to do with this particular offer.

I was SHOCKED at the audience attendance at the matinee but could only judge from the mezz. I Do believe that Mother Nature is going to get a lot of the blame for low sales these last two weeks. When I walked past TKTS at eleven, the line was nowhere near as long as I would have expected. (even Race in the evening was far from selling out -- the mezz was not even 1/3 filled)

that being said, I truly thought the show was brilliant today and that the audience that WAS there was incredibly responsive. The opening number rec'd thunderous applause -- you'd never had known how empty the theater was. It was also beautiful to see so many, many people on their feet at the very begining of the curtain call. Well deserved, IMHO.

While I full know that not every show pleases everyone -- I still don't understand how this hasn't found a decent audience. Really a shame.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#9re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 9:19am

Does anyone know whether they offer the $33.50 discount to the folks who didn't win lottery regularly? I was going to try lottery this Tuesday, and it would be cool to know there is that option should we not get the luck of the draw!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#10re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 10:13am

matty, they have been offering it after every lottery...there was a thread about it somewhere, or a post in another thread.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#11re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 10:58am

Thanks, perfectlymarvelous! Sometimes the search option escapes my brain.

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
#12re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 11:31am

My guess is the great offer is due to low ticket sales over all, though perhaps especially in the last couple weeks. When I saw it on the 17th, the house appeared to be full, but I suppose that's dropped off as the weather changed. I'm guessing the producers are just trying to recussitate the audience for the show. Though I think noplain's idea is a good one, if they're going to do the discount anyway.

Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#13re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 11:41am

Usually the lottery losers rush have been (i last got it tuesday) in the mid or rear mezz. I got row O center on tuesday. And they were 32.50.

dramamama611
#14re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 1:07pm

The Code is bogo10. Since the card says to bring along someone or GIVE someone the code, I'm hoping I'm not violating anything here. To use it at the BO, though, it does say you have to bring the paper....but only need to know the code on line.

I randomly tried a date in Jan and had the option of pretty great Orchestra seats.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 1:20pm

I'm really confused. Does the discount equal out to two tickets for $124.00? Or 2 tickets for $62.00? Winston seemed to be insinuating it was the latter.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 2:36pm

It's two tickets for the price of 62 dollars.

That was the part that surprised me because most shows I have seen that have offered this kind of promotion offered it as buy one ticket for 120 dollars (or whatever full price is for the given show) and get one free. I never have seen a show offer a discounted buy one get one free before.

dramamama611
#17re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 2:37pm

Winston is wrong.

Basically, it is 50% off. I just went and played around at TicketMaster....the code worked regardless of how many tickets I asked for: 1, 2 or 3.

I cannot guarantee that they won't correct the "error", but whatever sells tix.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#18re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 2:43pm

Hmmmmmm I put in BOGO10 and its coming up $62.50 a ticket. Thats 1/2 off. Not buy one at the discount price and get one free..

Winston.. How to you get 2 tickets for $62.50? Please advise!!! ;o)

R ;o)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 2:50pm

I received a card recently as well, and it's quite clear that it's 2 tickets for the price of one full-price ticket. Winston is wrong.

When you go online, you can, however, buy one ticket at the discounted rate. It's basically a discount for $62.50 tickets. Not bad.

ETA: just realized Dramamama posted essentially the exact same thing I was going to say. Sorry, dramamama. re: Ragtime's January promotion
Updated On: 12/27/09 at 02:50 PM

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#20re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 3:24pm

Winston is a fool. You're incorrect, Winsty poo.

And next time just get to the point without the long confusing story...Please.

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#21re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 3:25pm

"Winston is wrong"

So what else is new? He really needs to stop posting here.

dramamama611
#22re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 3:28pm

In his defense....i think he just confused two different offers: 2 for 1 (which is in essence 50% off) and the Lotto Losers Discount -- which has been established has been in place for a few weeks (at least).

TECHNICALLY the 2 for 1 is ONLY good in January...starting the 4th? But I don't know if anyone tried it for an earlier date.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#23re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 3:38pm

In his defense??? Look, Winston is ALWAYS confused.

Kalimba says it best - Amen to that!

When I think about you, I touch myself.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#24re: Ragtime's January promotion
Posted: 12/27/09 at 3:41pm

"This is because in my three times seeing this marvelous production (this afternoon being my third time)"

^^^
Captain Redundant!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia