musicaltheater1
#1Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 12/28/09 at 1:08am

Duncan Sheik in Concert at The Old Globe Theatre
Monday, January 11, 2010
The Old Globe, 1363 Old Globe Way
San Diego, CA 92101-1696
Phone - 619.234.5623

Tickets on sale to the general public on Friday, 12/11/09 at 12 noon.

http://www.theoldglobe.org/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=8059

Whisper House:
Tickets for the World Premiere of Duncan Sheik's Whisper House went on sale Sunday, 12/13/09.

http://www.theoldglobe.org/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=7250

The Old Globe Theatre

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 12/28/09 at 01:08 AM

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#2re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 12/28/09 at 1:10am

Can't wait to see this! February 6th can't come soon enough for me!!

Wicked Fanatic
#2re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/7/10 at 5:10pm

Don't like to double post but the cast for this has been announced.

Arthur Acuna will play Yasujiro, the Japanese worker at the lighthouse who the ghosts tell the young boy is not to be trusted. https://www.tcg.org/publications/at/Oct06/acuna.cfm

Holly Brook (Singer, Songwriter) https://www.hollybrookmusic.com/ She sounds fabulous!

Kevin Hoffmann https://www.kevinhoffmann.com/

Ted Koch who has been on Gossip Girls and other TV shows,

David Poe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Poe

Mare Winningham--I saw her twice before at the Old Globe and loved her. She plays Lily, the reclusive aunt who will take in her nephew played by Eric Brent Zutty.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/printcolumn.cfm?id=90129
Updated On: 1/8/10 at 05:10 PM

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#3re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/7/10 at 5:46pm

Very excited about this. Looking forward to the concert Monday night.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#4re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:17am

"in the lighthouse played by Eric Brent Zutty."

That's just funny.

Love the WH concept cd though!

AndAllThatJazz22
#5re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:29am

Whatever happened to Nero?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Wicked Fanatic
#6re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/8/10 at 3:17pm

"in the lighthouse played by Eric Brent Zutty.

That's just funny."

Oops that was a funny blooper. Now when I see him on Feb. 6th I'll be waiting for him to appear as the lighthouse and be very disappointed when he doesn't.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#7re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/15/10 at 11:02pm

Check out the first production photos of Whisper House.
Photos

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/16/10 at 4:12am

That's a lot of stairs!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#9re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/23/10 at 4:08pm

Review from the San Diego Union-Tribune...Generally positive.

This sounds very different from Spring Awakening. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Whisper House Review

musicaltheater1
#10re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 1/24/10 at 11:58am

Thanks for sharing the review...can't wait to see it.

Here are some more interesting links:

- Behind-the-scenes Whisper House photos by Pulitzer Prize winning photographer Don Bartletti: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-0117-whisper-house-pictures,0,2339037.photogallery

- KPBS radio interview with Duncan Sheik & Kyle Jarrow
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/jan/21/tony-award-winning-composer-debuts-new-musical-whi/

All links were copied from his Facebook.

Updated On: 1/24/10 at 11:58 AM

musicaltheater1
#11re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 5:10pm

Did anyone see Whisper House at the Old Globe? Please share your thoughts about the production.

Updated On: 2/21/10 at 05:10 PM

broadwayboy987
#12re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 5:58pm

I saw it January 30th and some people may disagree but I think it needs ALOT of work. It probably would have been better as a play. The acting was INCREDIBLE but I think the ghost were just kind of there and if they want a musical EVERYONE needs to sing and not just the ghosts. There was one REALLY good song and that was when The Ghosts, Christopher, and Aunt Lilly sang. The Christopher (A.J. Foggiano) was INCREDIBLE! His acting was fantastic and he really stood out. The show itself has potential but it just needs to be fixed up.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 6:19pm

A close friend of mine is vacationing in LA and went to see it on Friday night at the Globe. He also said it needs work but the story is weak. He also did not care for the score which he found to be depressing. He wasn't crazy about them just having the 2 ghosts sing the score.

I own the CD and I like the music. I was wondering how it would come across in the show.

Just give the world Love.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#14re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 7:23pm

I just saw it. I loved it.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

musicaltheater1
#15re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 7:39pm

Thank you for sharing.

I personally thought that the acting was quite effective particularly A.J. Foggiano (Christopher), Celeste Ciulla (Lilly) & Arthur Acuna (Yasuhiro). The ghosts (David Poe & Holly Brook)were great spooky storytellers. The songs were hauntingly beautiful. The set was imaginative but the lighthouse lamp needed more power. The sound effects were quite realistic. But, Kyle Jarrow's book may need some tweaking to make this production a success on Broadway. For example: the ghosts - are they simply storytellers? Were they haunting the lighthouse to find a "soul" companion or to make Christopher realize his mistakes? Yasuhiro's love for Lilly needed more build-up. The sheriff character didn't have a lot of impact to the story. The "Tale of Solomon Snell" didn't seem to have a connection to the story.

I'm anxious to see what the creative staff will do to this play. It has potentials.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#16re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 7:55pm

The show does have potential, but needs A LOT of work. The basic set-up is quite good and has spooky atmosphere to spare, but the story goes nowhere fast. I also agree that the ghosts have no purpose - they don't comment on or inform the plot at all, and while the book is generally well-written it's rather undercooked and never finds a place for the ghosts in the narrative. Also, the actors playing the ghosts engaged in a lot of self-conscious hipster posturing that detracted from the show's period setting. I couldn't understand why anyone would be scared of them, or why they were even there to begin with, and was completely taken out of the experience. A major missed opportunity.

Mare Winningham gave a strong, fully realized performance; everyone else ranged from serviceable to a bit worse. A.J. Foggiano got better as it went on. It wasn't a terrible show, just one that didn't register very much.

Does anyone know about the supposed production problems, from the last-minute replacement of the original kid playing Christopher to Winningham's departure two weeks before the end of the run? They claimed "scheduling issues," but she'd been contracted in the show for months.

Wicked Fanatic
#17re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/21/10 at 8:12pm

Here are my very LONG thoughts about this show:

Today, February 21st marks the end of a World Premiere run of Duncan Sheik's "Whisper House" at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego, CA. I saw this play yesterday in what was its final form from its initial performance when it began on January 13, 2010. I read reviews which were extremely positive but those from people that I knew who had seen it were not. I originally had tickets for the Feb. 6th matinee performance but the rainstorms made me change my ticket to a later date. Even then I began to have doubts about whether I wanted to see it and almost didn't. A friend told me I needed to see it to make up my own mind which is exactly what I did and I'm glad I did. I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it even though it's dark and that ending is such a downer even though it's the only way it can end.

There was an open stage with a scaffolding set representing the lighthouse. To the left was a rollout set used for the housing of the Japanese worker, Yasuhiro. The lighthouse was a perfect choice to be a place perched on the boundary of two worlds, a kind of way station (or purgatory) both for the ghosts who never finished their business in life, and the living who haven't figured out what their purpose is.

The orchestra consisted of 9 excellent musicians which included the orchestra leader. They were set at the back of the stage in front of the curtain which was closed for most of the play giving them a ghostly prescence. It was also used for video projections when needed; the WWII images were excellent and the sound effects for the bombing were loud. I really loved the staging which was simple but very effective. It seems that all the new plays now use scaffolding and video projections which I guess saves on costs. Whatever, it worked for me.

Music--I listened to the concept album which I bought only three or four weeks ago only once and it didn't move me at all. It all sounded the same; very ghostlike/ethereal. I didn't listen to it again until I was driving to San Diego and once again I had the same feelings BUT all that changed when I saw the play and how the music fitted in perfectly. I'd call it a theatrical tonal poem.

The concept album has basically the same music with a few changes. In the play We're Here to Tell You is divided into two parts but on the concept album it's all one. They have added a Better to Be Dead reprise at the end of the show before the very clever curtain call Take A Bow which is the last song in the show. There is one other song on the concept album at the end The Ghost in You which is not in the show.

The final list of songs is now:
Better to Be Dead--Introduces all the characters in the play.
We're Here to Tell You (Part 1)--The ghosts sing to Christopher, the boy.
We're Here to Tell You (Part 2
And Now We Sing--More ghostly singing
The Tale of Solomon Snell--Even though I agree it seems unrelated to the play it's one of my favorite songs about a yellow-fever victim who winds up being inadvertently buried alive. I loved the ghosts when they sang "Ring the Bell"!
Earthbound Starlight--very moody and ghostly ethereal!
Play Your Part
You've Really Gone and Done It Now
How It Feels
I Don't Believe in You
Better to Be Dead
Take a Bow--The BEST in the show for me which is done at curtain call.

Is this music great? Probably not, but it works for what he's trying to achieve for the play, an ethereal ghostly style. If you're expecting the hard-rocking music from "Spring Awakening" you'll be disappointed; think The Dark I Know Well. It's definitely not slap happy or sappy. Instead it's melancholy which fits perfectly with the mood of the play.

STORY: I found it to be fascinating, darkly enchanting, and actually the BEST part of the show. The L.A. Times' review called it "a hybrid all-rock concert-psychological ghost story" = Perfect description! Some people criticized it because the music broke the flow of the story, but I think they've fixed that in the weeks that they've had to work on the play. It definitely didn't for me. The story could stand alone, but for me the music softened the downer ending.

The storyline thanks to the L.A. Times:
It's 1942, and World War II has reached America's Eastern shores with German U-boats doing their best to undermine Atlantic shipping. Lilly (now played by Celeste Ciulla), the crusty proprietor of the lighthouse, which her family has run for generations, has taken in the 11-year-old son of her brother, whose fighter plane was shot down over the Pacific.
Christopher (A.J. Foggiano) is having a hard time adapting to life with his aunt, whose no-nonsense manner is the opposite of nurturing. He's also made uncomfortable by the presence of Yasuhiro (Arthur Acuna), a Japanese immigrant employed at the lighthouse. To Christopher, Lilly is not just weird and mean but she's harboring the enemy that killed his father.
The complicated plot, which moves between supernatural and historical realms, hinges on the treatment of American citizens whose ancestry could be traced to the Axis powers. Charles (Ted Koch), the friendly local sheriff, informs Lilly that Yaushiro will no longer be able to work in what has now been designated a high-security area.
This order will be enforced by Lt. Rando (Kevin Hoffmann), who blusters onto the scene with a farcical incompetence that turns increasingly bullying. Meanwhile, those troublesome ghosts, always looking for an opportunity to extract revenge, hope they can use this latest development to impose some additional suffering on Lilly, whose drunken father caused their untimely shipwreck by failing to light the lighthouse on Halloween night, 1912 = a perfect night for their demise and the mood created for the music in the play.

What I liked best in the play is twofold. The first is something I completely missed when listening to the concept album, the parallel stories of love and longings between the unnamed musical ghosts portrayed by David Poe and Holly Brook, and Aunt Lilly and Yasuhiro. The second is the ever constant theme pervading the play: the tension between fear and security, between clinging to what's known and taking a chance on someone or something new. It's best embodied in the 10-year-old Christopher who has been dropped on the doorstep of Lilly, his aunt he's never known, after his aviator father died in the war and his mother subsequently had a breakdown.

The Actors (All ****):

Celeste Ciulla (Lilly)--She took over the role from Mare Winningham I think two weeks ago and I really liked her. Although I was disappointed that Mare was not in the show when I saw it like all standbys in professional productions she was wonderful!

A.J. Foggiano (Christopher)--He took over the role I think in previews from another performer. He's a local performer having been in the Old Globe's "Grinch" and was very good. Hopefully if this show was to go to Broadway in some form he'll get a chance to fulfill his dream of "making his way to the bright lights of Broadway".

Arthur Acuna (Yasuhiro)--He was excellent playing the role with a quietly soulful feel of someone accused of being a spy amid wartime paranoia. He deserves a chance to tread the Broadway boards if this shows transfers to the Great White Way!

Ted Koch (Charles, the Sheriff) and Kevin Hoffmann (Lieutenant Rando ever-so-briefly) were also very good in supporting roles.

Then there were the musical ghosts, the star-crossed lovers exacting hopefully their revenge on the lighthouse occupants played by musicians David Poe and Holly Brook. I have to say I wasn't impressed when I heard the concept album but seeing and hearing them in person in the play their lyrical presence are in my opinion perfection. They both bring a strong sense of presence and otherworldliness to the roles.

So is this play for you? You'll have to decide for yourself as I did. If you're looking for the commercial mega-musical blockbuster this is not for you. It's a small ghostly musical tonal poem that's just as worthy as a commercial blockbuster. Here's hoping with more work as suggested by others here it finds its way to Broadway some day in the future.

Updated On: 2/22/10 at 08:12 PM

broadwayboy987
#18re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/22/10 at 12:13am

I thought the story was great and so were the actors, didnt like the idea of singing ghosts, and I loved the set. Here is what happened with the Christopher switch: They decided at the end of previews that Eric was not good enough for the part and that A.J. was much better. Duncan Sheik bought Eric a nice card, that told him he would no longer be in the run. A.J. took over opening night.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#19re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/22/10 at 2:08am

I saw the show about three weeks ago. The reviews were far too kind. But I certainly agree with most, especially broadwayboy, that it could have been a play without music. The story was thin but interesting and the acting was first rate. I think the music was boring- by that I mean it all sounded the same to me. That might be just because the same two people sing every song in much the same tempo. It didn't add much. The audience reaction was not enthusiatic compared to most things I see at the Globe and Playhouse.

I get frustrated here by the fact that reviews and audience reaction here are often greatly at odds. Recently, the reviews were very critical of Bonnie and Clyde yet most people with whom I spoke liked the musical very much. The same people were less thrilled with Whisper House but the reviews were good.

I did not feel that Whisper House is Broadway material.

broadwayboy987
#20re: Duncan Sheik Concert & Whisper House @ The Old Globe
Posted: 2/22/10 at 5:58pm

I definantly agree. B&C was AMAZING as to Whisper House which is just eh. Your review hits it spot on.

Videos