Hair Equity Chorus Call

AngryYoungMan
#1Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 6:24pm

Hey everyone,

as some of you may know, there's a Hair chorus call on January 7th. I, most unfortunately, do not have my equity card yet. However, I know that if I could get seen, I really may have a chance. I live about 2 hours away, and am having a difficult time deciding if I should make the trip or not. What is the chance of me getting seen at this call? Do you think there will be a list for non-equity folks?

Thanks!

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#2Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 6:40pm

Equity calls consist of equity actor appointments. That's part of the reason you join AEA.

If you're not equity, you don't go to an Equity call.

When I think about you, I touch myself.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#2Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 7:07pm

Not true at all. Non-Equity actors are often seen at Equity calls.

In this case, however, as Hair should prove to be a very busy call, I wouldn't bother. It's highly unlikely they'll have time to see non-Equity. You could try, and if they say no, leave your headshot.

bwaylvsong
#3Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 7:55pm

If you would regret not going for the rest of your life, go!
All you have to lose is your time and the cost of travel!

orlandog Profile Photo
orlandog
#4Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 8:58pm

i'm equity and I went today to sign up at AEA bldg (where the chorus call sign up sheet is) and so far, the guys list isn't that long. Which means either equity (guys) won't bother to show up until the day of the call OR they isn't much interest in this call.

Either way, if you can afford it, have the time to spare, why not go? If they do see Non-equity actors, they will be seen after the equity actors (guys at 10am, girls at 2pm)...roughly aound 12pm for guys, 4pm for girls or shortly before/after that depending on how many show up. If you want to get there early to put your name on the non-equity list, you might do yourself a service. It's a 16-bar equity chorus call, so it seriously won't be an all-day event regardless.

The equity dance call is the following week, with the same criteria. As a sidenote-HAIR has given many of it's tribe members their equity cards and their broadway debut through and through, so go with good energy and break a leg if you do get seen! Hope this helps :)
Updated On: 1/4/10 at 08:58 PM

RentBoy86
#5Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 9:28pm

I don't think I'd bother. I think this is the kind of show that will eventually go Non-Equity anyways, and if they're only seeing guys from 10-2, then they probably won't see Non-Equity. But then again, if no one shows up, then maybe so. It is kind of a dead time for auditions though, so it might be busy, but guys calls are always easier than girls calls.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 9:35pm

???? A b'way show CAN'T go NON-EQUITY.

I agree that you have to way the: will I kick myself in the pants quotient. LOTS of auditions will see non equity people and (as an above potster mentioned....their track record proves that they are willing to cast non.

As long as you aren't risking a current job...go for it!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadwaypink
#7Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 11:16pm

If you have the chance...GO!!! it wont hurt!

Disneyland Magic Man
#8Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 11:26pm

I would go if I were you. Don't be stupid.

The producer has the right to run an open call either by Equity rules or not. At the chorus Equity call in Los Angeles last month for this show, they purposly asked to see a few Non-Equity people in EVERY group, starting at the beginning of the day. They said they were looking for new faces. So there it is.

They even held an entire day to see only Non-Equity people out here. I know someone gave me attitude about that before, but I am a working non-Equity actor in the LA area with my EMC card and I'll tell you this, Broadway shows DON'T have complete days devoted to seeing Non-Equity talent. The closest thing you can get to that if is you go to a call and the Producer decides to "type" the audition. Then it doesn't matter who the hell you are, Equity or not, they see who they decide they want to and in the order they want to. (i.e. auditions for the first national tour of Avenue Q in Los Angeles)

Whether they are planning on handing 30 people their equity cards or are maybe thinking about launching an Non-Eq tour (would NOT be surprised for this show), they are SEEKING non-union actors.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#9Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 11:37pm

Go for it, even if you are only half as good as you think you are.

PEACE.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#10Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 11:44pm

I've never tried to get into an equity chorus call before...would the non-equity women's signup be available in the morning or right before they start seeing equity women at 2?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/4/10 at 11:55pm

Prolly, but you have to show your tits.

PEACE.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#12Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:03am

LOL! xoxo

bwaylvsong
#13Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:37am

Perfectlymarvelous, you can (and should) sign up in the morning.

perfectlymarvelous
#14Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:42am

Awesome, thanks! :)

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#15Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:59am

If I lived in America and was old enough and was actually talented i'd definitely show up...

mariuspontmercy5148
#16Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 10:43am

I had some non equity friends friends go to the equity call over the summer. They got there at 4 am and they ended up not seeing any non-equity that day. Maybe better luck this time?

AEA AGMA SM
#17Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:26am

Just make sure the non-Equity list you sign up for is the one being kept by the monitor. The monitors at EPAs/ECCs are not required in any way to honor lists started the non-Equity people before they arrive. Many will, but they can and have thrown out such lists in the past.

As others have said, if it's only two hours to get into the city and you have the time to spare then I would say it's well worth it to make the attempt.

jewelchk
#18Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:44am

I tried to audition as non-equity for a few equity chorus calls. While I was not seen most of the time, I was seen for a couple. I was hoping to try out for one specific Broadway show, and it did take four tries, but I eventually did get to audition. That being said, men definitely seemed to have a better shot at getting seen than us women did in many cases.

You should get there early to sign up for any unofficial non-equity list that might get posted on the door and then check in when the building actually opens to get any information on how the monitors expect the call to go that day or to sign up on any other non-eq list if the monitors ignore the unofficial one (they usually come out to announce an official update to the non-equity people between 9:30am and 10am for morning calls). Sometimes they will only see the first handful of people on the list and send everyone else home. Sometimes they will have time to see everyone. Make sure you find some place warm to go if you come in super early to sign up, though! It's freezing here.

Even if you don't get seen, you will be able to leave a headshot and resume. Good luck!

"I thought that that was just going to be a like one shot deal for me, you know, but they kept talking about it like, 'when we do the production, when we do the production', and I was like, 'yes, yes, when you do the production, cool, I will come and see it'". - John Gallagher Jr. on SA
Updated On: 1/5/10 at 11:44 AM

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#19Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 2:04pm

If I wasn't completely broke I would make the 5 hour drive and go! If nothing else you are getting your headshot seen and getting an experience!

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#20Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 2:09pm

And by "seen" you mean THROWN IN THE TRASH, I think.

eta: those Casting Directors who deny it are liars... xoxo

Updated On: 1/5/10 at 02:09 PM

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#21Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/5/10 at 2:17pm

Maybe so, but some of us like to at least try to keep the faith.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

bwaylvsong
#22Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:25pm

For those who are wondering, non-Equity guys were NOT seen today. I don't know if the girls were, but I highly doubt it!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#23Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/7/10 at 11:57pm

Yeah, pretty lame. Although, there is an open call in two weeks...

~Steven

perfectlymarvelous
#24Hair Equity Chorus Call
Posted: 1/7/10 at 11:58pm

^Where did you hear that?

Videos