#1Mrs. Stone's "Nine" in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 3:39pm

Eh, it was better than ReNt.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#2Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:07pm

Agreed. But just barely (better).

Without "Cinema Italiano," probably not (better).

What was your favorite and least favorite scene/number?

P
Updated On: 1/9/10 at 04:07 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:10pm

Favorite Number: My Husband Makes Movies

Least Favorite: Whatever number it was where Sophia Loren was looking at the camera and not the boy she was dancing with and practically missed even touching him. A total walk through on her part.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:22pm

I was gonna post a thread but couldn't even gather my thoughts to do so.

I walked out about 45 minutes in and got a refund. I NEVER walk out of movies. I thought it was absolutely terrible.

Those are basically my thoughts...

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#4Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:28pm

Without "Cinema Italiano," probably not (better).

I actually hated "Cinema Italiano" and thought that the film would've been slightly better if they had taken it out. My favorite numbers were "Be Italian" and "My Husband Makes Movies". Everything else was just kind of...meh. Although the overture and the finale were good.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 1/9/10 at 04:28 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#5Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:29pm

Eh. That's pretty much the succient way of how I feel.

I've never seen the musical. I only knew one song going in.

I liked Penelope Cruz, but I was underwhelmed by her number. Not because it was bad, but because all the pre-release press went on about her BIG ACROBATIC number or whatever, and it really just ... well, wasn't. On its own terms I liked it.

I liked Marian C (no desire to google the correct spelling) but thought she would have been more ... sympathetic with a younger Guido?

I cringed every single time Sophia Loren was on screen.

I thought Fergie was - to use a cliche - amazing.

It really made me rethink Chicago, though, because this movie pretty much confirms everything Roscoe says about Rob Marshall.

I HATED "Cinema Italiano."

And yet, I didn't HATE the movie. I'm glad I went to see it. I wanted something to occupy my mind today and it did. But it was pretty much a pretty looking clusterf*ck.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#6Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:31pm

Wickedrocks, which move theater allowed you to get a refund???

This is very intriguing.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:35pm

Call From The Vatican totally s@#t the bed. It is one of the highlights of the show, and they had that extended scene with Day -Lewis in the room with the doctor and nurse and Cruz swinging on the ropes was ridiculous. Pink was more acrobatic in her stage show that Cruz was.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#8Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:39pm

I meant to take a picture, but there was actually a sign on the cinema entrance saying "Warning - This picture might SHAKE." Literally, because of the health club next door.
Updated On: 1/9/10 at 04:39 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:42pm

"Cinema Italiano" was pandering to the audience and trying to throw a "hit" song into the movie that might turn into some good dance mixes and show up on the charts. It was nonsense.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:43pm

I agree.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#11Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:47pm

Agree completely, BettyBoy. But, in comparison to "Guido's Song" or "Take It All" or "Guarda La Luna," "CI" looks like high art.

WHAT a MESS!

P

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#12Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 4:55pm

I completely agree P!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#13Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 5:36pm

I was at a Regal Cinema. They didn't give me my money back but they gave me a ticket voucher to use for a free movie ticket.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#14Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 5:39pm

That's fierce!

And RARE. The employee must have had the hots for you, Rocks. Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words

xoxo

When I think about you, I touch myself.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#15Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 6:08pm

So fierce.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Inigomontoya
#16Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 6:12pm

The best song for me was my husband makes movies, I also liked the ending that had a curtain call feeling and the words "Action" that seals it.

However, and tell me if you felt the same way, I felt it was very odd for a musical to feature a soundtrack of songs not from the musical itself..
Updated On: 1/9/10 at 06:12 PM

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#17Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 6:23pm

CHICAGO had a new score from Danny Elfman in between the Kander & Ebb's songs so it is not unprecedented for Marshall to do this, though I found "Quando, Quando, Quando" wildly out-of-place in NINE and, particularly given the amount of cut material, the new underscoring totally unnecessary.

P

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#18Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 7:22pm

Yeah Quando really seemed like he was using a neon sign "it's Italy in the 60's when this was a hit" one more false note.

We were kidding around bout the film and someone suggested Marshall just mixed the two scripts together and arbitrarialy pulled different pages for shooting.

Anyone else feel as embarassed as I was w Day-Lewis clutching the pillow during "PhoneCall"? I thought about that cartoon dog that usta go into ecstasies hugging himself when he got a doggy snak floating up in the air @ the end.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 7:36pm

What happens if it wins a Golden Globe?

Daniel Day Lewis is being picked to win best actor by Entertainment weekly.

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 8:21pm

The Globes mean very little, and any great Oscar chances for this movie are scuttled now- except for some technical nods, perhaps a nod for Cotillard or Cruz, and perhaps for song.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WiCkEDrOcKS
#21Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 8:31pm

As far as the Oscars go, if any actor gets nominated, it will be Cruz but it should be Cotillard. Then again I didn't see the entire film so I'm not the best judge...but what I saw of Cotillard was by far the best performance in the film. And she was very well-cast, unlike many other people in the movie. Although I still don't think she deserves a nod. But if anyone in the movie does, it's her.

But it'll get a couple technical nods, I'm sure. Day Lewis won't be nominated and the film won't get a Best Picture nod, despite the expansion of the nominees this year from five to ten.
Updated On: 1/9/10 at 08:31 PM

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#22Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 8:37pm

I think the gang-rapey (thanks Gina!) and embarrassingly filmed "Take It All" will scuttle any chance Marion may have had at a nomination, despite her best efforts. Plus, the scene is edited in such a way as to cut her off before the song is even over. The worst number in a mire of bad numbers, though I actually like the song quite a bit (but I know I'm alone in that).

P

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 8:38pm

Cotillard could very well get a nod if the voters don't buy into her being a lead, despite the Weinsteins campaigning for her in that position.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24Mrs. Stone's 'Nine' in six words
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:06pm

My Oscar nod predictions:

Supporting Actress---Penelope Cruz
Song---Cinema Italiano
Art Direction
Costumes

Total noms --- 4

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22