pixeltracker

Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement

Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement

BroadwayBuff4Life
#1Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 1:34pm

Hey! I was just wondering if anyone remembered it? I was trying to explain it to one of my friends interested in seeing the show and could only remember the bluetooth comment. Thanks!

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#2Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 2:03pm

Hello and welcome to Rawk of Ages.
I'm David Coverdale of Whitesnake, and I invite you to an evening of musical debauchery and decadence.
Just a reminder that flash photography is strictly prohibited. Unless, of course, you're really hot and willing to show us your breast.
Further more, please silence all cellphones. Text messaging during the show makes you look like a douche-bag. And, if you have one of those "bluetooth" thingys in your ear... please, c'mon. You look like a dick.
Lastly, in case of fire please refrain from singing Deaf Leopards "Pyromania" as we couldn't get the rights to any of their music.
Thank you and enjoy having your face melted.

------

That's just off the top of my head, so I'm sure I may have messed a few things up.

Updated On: 1/16/10 at 02:03 PM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#2Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 2:26pm

Good God. How disgusting.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#3Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 3:22pm

You mean, how effing hilarious?

BroadwayBuff4Life
#4Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 3:31pm

Totally agree, JP! Thanks btw.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#5Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 3:41pm

Not really...

It's crude & disgusting.

BroadwayBuff4Life
#6Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 3:42pm

Okay, TheatreFan, I guess you are one of the VERY few considering both times I have seen the show the audience was in histerics throughout the entire thing...

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#7Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 4:00pm

Seriously, it slays the audience night after night.

CRUDE and DISGUSTING? Really?
Updated On: 1/16/10 at 04:00 PM

Devious Profile Photo
Devious
#8Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 4:08pm

I guess some people just don't have a sense of humor...

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#9Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:42pm

"Okay, TheatreFan, I guess you are one of the VERY few considering both times I have seen the show the audience was in histerics throughout the entire thing..."

That speaks volumes about the audience.

PiraguaGuy2
#10Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:51pm

Are you pretentious idiots serious? It's a goddamn PRESHOW ANNOUNCEMENT. It's very funny and fits with the overall theme of the show. Were any of you complaining about Legally Blonde's preshow announcement, with the valley girl voice raving about how hot the conductor was?

I'll never understand not only why the elitists on these boards bitch time and again about the serving-drinks-in-the-seats thing this show does, but why they have no problem with other gimmicks shows employ to immerse the audience in the world of the show, like the Hair cast climbing on seats or the Eugene O'Neill house being completely transformed into a 1970s Nigerian nightclub? Is it because people just don't like the show, or is it because there really is no such thing as the "sanctity" of a Broadway theatre? Aside from something like the Shubert being razed to make way for a strip joint, I really don't see why people get so uptight about what is appropriate or is not for a Broadway theatre.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#11Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:57pm

Just a rough guess on my part, but I suspect those who find this announcement "crude and disgusting" probably wouldn't like the show either -- and if they're smart they won't go, but enjoy Mary Poppins instead.

I love it when the announcement sets the tone of the show. My favorite was still at a production of Do I Hear A Waltz at Pasadena Playhouse when the entire announcement was in Italian. But you could still pick out the English "cell phone", "candy wrappers", etc.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#12Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 7:19pm

I love the ROA announcement, and I loved the Legally Blonde announcement. Also, the new In The Heights announcement with Lin is great too.

But, it amazes me how insanely uptight some folks can be. Get the sticks out yo butts!

lstbutifulgrl2
#13Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 7:25pm

JP, what's the ITH announcement?

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#14Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 7:39pm

"My favorite was still at a production of Do I Hear A Waltz at Pasadena Playhouse when the entire announcement was in Italian. But you could still pick out the English "cell phone", "candy wrappers", etc."

Sounds just like Light In The Piazza...

I think it's a fitting and funny pre-show.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#15Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 7:48pm

"JP, what's the ITH announcement?"

It's pretty much like the old one, except now it's Lin instead of the female voice (Doreen Mantalvo, I always thought?). He's all "Yo, ...". Then, of course, he repeats it in Spanish.

lstbutifulgrl2
#16Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 8:00pm

it's been so long since i've seen ITH... Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#17Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 8:17pm

That's funny TheatreDiva. I saw an early performance of Light in the Piazza and I honestly don't remember that one. I'm thinking I saw the other one before that so maybe it didn't have the same impact, but was the announcement in Italian at LITP from the start?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#18Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 8:33pm

I'm not a fan of ROA but I think that pre-show announcement fits the tone of the show very well.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 8:40pm

The Light in the Piazza one is pretty funny, I'm not sure how long it had been there for but it was 'preserved' on the TV broadcast so you can still check it out Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#20Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 9:12pm

I haven't seen rock of ages, but I enjoyed that.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Mystic Pasta
#21Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 9:14pm

That preshow announcement is hilarious. I think one of the oddest inventions of the last decade is the bluetooth ear piece. It works for Captain Kirk on Star Trek but looks ridiculous on investment bankers in theaters.

tommigyrl5
#22Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 10:54pm

OK...that made me REALLY want to see the show. lol

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#23Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 11:32pm

"It works for Captain Kirk on Star Trek but looks ridiculous on investment bankers in theaters."

Some people prefer bluetooths to holding cell phones to their ears. Who cares? Find a better hobby than criticizing people who prefer this "invention" to normality. Who are you?

xoxoxo

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#24Rock of Ages Preshow Announcement
Posted: 1/16/10 at 11:45pm

I think one of the oddest inventions of the last decade is the bluetooth ear piece

Odder than a scale that sends a tweet every time you weigh yourself?

Some people prefer bluetooths to holding cell phones to their ears

Those people tend to avoid tickets if they do it while driving.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 1/16/10 at 11:45 PM

Videos