pixeltracker

Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked- Page 2

Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked

clarkstallings
#25Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 7:59pm

Contrary to popular belief, stage hands working on Broadway are not required to wear black clothing unless the garments are furnished by the producer. Also, if the producer requires stage hands to wear black clothing that has been provided, they may also have to pay the stage hands a premium for wearing a costume. Many producers do not want to pony up the dough, hence stage hands in street clothes at many shows. Many stage hands will wear blacks on their own accord and dedication to the craft, but for some, like in nearly any other industry, their job is simply for the pay check. The bottom line is that both producers and stage hands could get slammed for this.

Mattbrain
#26Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:01pm

Did I say they weren't allowed to be around cast members? No. I just remember him standing there and Sarabi happened to be there too.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

KirbyCat
#27Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:29pm

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't realize what you meant, is all!

ghostlight2
#28Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:50pm

"(my friends in ROA have absolute horror stories about the disrespect the have encountered with drinks, jackets, feet all put on the stage)."

Or in the aisle, BrianS, and sadly ROA's audiences don't hold a monopoly on bad behavior. I have seen far too many shows where audience members put their hands in the light, legs and belongings in the aisle - I've actually seen actors be tripped like this.

"By the way I hear that some shows are going to start having the stagehands once a week dress in Hawaiian shirts."

Many shows actually do do this for stagehands (stage managers and dressers, too, sometimes) who have no chance of being seen (flymen, mixers behind baffles, lighting people in booths, etc). It's just a silly little fun thing to do, like a casual Friday.

"Contrary to popular belief, stage hands working on Broadway are not required to wear black clothing unless the garments are furnished by the producer. Also, if the producer requires stage hands to wear black clothing that has been provided, they may also have to pay the stage hands a premium for wearing a costume.

While you are correct that there is no strict requirement for them to wear black, (A) it's just common sense, and (B) many bosses (house heads) are going to tell you to do so, and if you don't comply, you are likely to get fired. I have never, ever heard of a producer providing blacks for stagehands and paying a premium for it, but yes, if the stagehand must wear an actual costume in order to blend in, they do get paid extra for it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 9:53pm

While watching Sunset Blvd, in the scene they are filming a movie @ paramount, I saw one guy wearing a Dallas Cowboys jacket. At least wear a NY team jacket.

Poster Emeritus

clarkstallings
#30Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 10:25pm

"While you are correct that there is no strict requirement for them to wear black, (A) it's just common sense, and (B) many bosses (house heads) are going to tell you to do so, and if you don't comply, you are likely to get fired. I have never, ever heard of a producer providing blacks for stagehands and paying a premium for it, but yes, if the stagehand must wear an actual costume in order to blend in, they do get paid extra for it."

I'm quite certain that a house head can't fire you for not wearing black clothing if non is provided. Many theatrical unions require that producers furnish all wardrobe for actors, musicians, and stage hands. I'm a member of IATSE and per the contract I work under, my employer is required to furnish to me my "costume," in this case, black pants, a black golf shirt, a black jacket, gloves, and hat. This is, for all intents and purposes, a costume. Due the premium, many producers are reluctant to provide said "costume."

piperlacyboo Profile Photo
piperlacyboo
#31Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 10:51pm

it makes me sad that this is a contract thing. who would have thought that regional theater had something over broadway? it just doesn't seem like that big a deal to fix. i would gladly drop a $8 black t-shirt off at the stage-door, but i don't think it would be taken with the spirit i intended.

ghostlight2
#32Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/17/10 at 10:52pm

"I'm quite certain that a house head can't fire you for not wearing black clothing if non [sic] is provided."

100% correct. They cannot fire you for that reason alone, but they will find another one, or at the very least, never hire you again after that show closes, for refusing to comply with such a simple and reasonable request.

I have never seen a case where a producer on a Broadway show has provided or insisted on black clothing for stagehands. I do write off my blacks for tax purposes, and have had to wear costumes in the past. The costumes I got paid the premium for - the blacks I have not, and wouldn't think of asking for. I am not there to be seen.

... and per the contract I work under, my employer is required to furnish to me my "costume," in this case, black pants, a black golf shirt, a black jacket, gloves, and hat. This is, for all intents and purposes, a costume."

I can understand them wanting you to wear black, but what would be wrong with long black pants and a long-sleeved black t-shirt? The gloves I can maybe understand, if you were a property person working in a black-out, even possibly a hat if your hair were very fair, but a golf shirt and a jacket? That sounds very specific. Does it match your actors' costumes, perhaps? Because in that case, you are, in fact, wearing a costume, no matter what the color, and as such, deserve the premium. If I may ask, do they pay it?

Updated On: 2/19/10 at 10:52 PM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#33Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 7:52am

I remember seeing Phantom in London from front row, up there alot of the set is done with manual labour, so I could see them putting the organ into place and latching it into the track, but while that was done I also saw a huge ass crack of the guy getting it into position, I started to laugh out loud.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#34Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 7:58am

Never wear mauve to a ball, or pink....or open your mouth ( or is it, or speak?)

I hope it didn't ruin your night....

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#35Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 9:20am

When I saw Mary Poppins, during Supercal... there were two stagehands in white shirts standing in the wings. I don't know if they knew they were visible or not but it was interesting to see.

Didn't the original production of Sweeney Todd include stagehands that were in costume? I haven't seen the DVD in a while but I think I remember the people who moved the sets being in costume, unless they were just other cast members.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#37Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 12:10pm

You know, I really don't think it's unreasonable to be respectful when you're working on a Broadway show. Wearing black doesn't seem like a very hard task and though they may not be required to wear them, I can't see why a stagehand wouldn't feel it to be their duty to not stand out. It's pretty clear that there job is to work the show and to accommodate it running smoothly, safely, and without interruptions for the performers, the audience, and their peers. If their clothing proves as a distraction to any of these groups, it should be addressed. I guess that's the deal with unions, but twenty bucks can buy you a black shirt and black pants at Target or Walmart.

Jon
#38Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 12:30pm

Yes, the original Sweeney Todd had costumed stagehands who would move the central "cube" unit (the barbershop/pieshop) and other pieces. In some cases, the stagehands would not even leave the stage during the scenes, but would simply curl up on the floor against the wall, like a homeless person sleeping in the gutter.

Also, there were costumed follow spot operators in full view on the upper levels of the "iron foundry" main set.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#39Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 12:55pm

The crew members who didn't wear black we considered unprofessional.

And, NO, I have never seen a single crew member have their blacks provided for them, or get paid extra to wear them. They are only paid extra if it's an actual costume, such as the crew members on Sweeney Todd...

EDIT: And I worked on the L.A. production of Wicked.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 2/18/10 at 12:55 PM

Fosse76
#40Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 5:03pm

"EDIT: And I worked on the L.A. production of Wicked."

It doesn't matter where any of you people worked. The fact is that on Broadway, stagehands cannot be required to wear black.

White Shirt
#41Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 6:31pm

The fact of the matter of black clothes is if your clothes are dark blue or just not a lite color who gives a sh##.The most important thing a stagehand does is make sure the show goes on without problems.They make it safe for the actors you the public watching and them self's.If some thing goes drastically wrong do you care what the person is wearing that's trying to fix the problem so no one gets hurt and keeps or gets the show back on track.NOT ME. I wouldn't care if they came out in a thong as long as I or any one else didn't get hurt.One last thing if your paying for tickets to see a show what the hell are you wasting your time looking for things to bitch about.

whiteshirtsmom Profile Photo
whiteshirtsmom
#42Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 8:21pm

Hello there Kiddies!

This is White Shirt's mom.

How is everyone? Please be nice to my little boy. He's always had a bit of a temper, but he's a SWEET BOY.

He's been that way his whole life. Making things sound like they have to be one or the other. One time, when he was a little boy, he was a stagehand for the school play and, oh I can't tell it. But please, I know what everyone is thinking. That safety an professional courtesy and respect for the tradition of theater are all not mutually exclusive. But please don't judge my little White Shirt too harshly. He's a sweet boy I tell you.

I asked him not to create another profile just to comment on this topic. "White Shirt," I said, "you're a sweet boy who's been posting on that site for years." I says to him "just post your feelings about wearing your street clothes at the theater under your normal profile." But my boy has a temper and he wouldn't hear it.

But he's still my sweet boy.

has anybody seen my sweet boy, White Shirt? He stopped posting on here after people made fun of his lack of professionalism.

whiteshirtsmom
#43Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 8:29pm

Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked

Me and my sweet boy during happier times.

has anybody seen my sweet boy, White Shirt? He stopped posting on here after people made fun of his lack of professionalism.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#44Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 8:54pm

Whiteshirtsmom, please do share the srory of young Whiteshirt! I will bet he was a real rapscallion!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

whiteshirtsmom
#45Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 9:20pm

Oh, goodness. My White Shirt hung up on me. I am so sad.

He's actually working the show now. He takes his cell phone calls during the show because he feels it doesn't affect safety, but he yelled "Mom, don't drag out our dirty laundry" and hung up.

Oh, my sweet boy.

Long story short, when White Shirt was a little stagehand working the school play, he always wore his little white shirt. He loved that shirt. The other boys wearing all black used to tease him. I asked him "White Shirt, my boy. My sweet boy, why don't you wear black like the other boys." He was very shy then. Always had a temper, but shy for the most part. Turns out that little Timmy Donowitz, the lead in the play, had smiled at my White Shirt and he felt things he'd never felt before. Well, that Timmy Donowitz ended up with one of the stagehand boys wearing black. It was just a showmance, but the damage was done. My little White Shirt vowed never to wear black. To always wear a white shirt as a symbol of the purity of that moment when Timmy Donowitz smiled at him.

See? He's a sweet boy. And he AWALYS puts safety first. By my White Shirt will NOT wear black. To this day, the other stagehands give him crap, but he won't hear it. He's a stubborn boy, but he's a sweet boy.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#46Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/18/10 at 9:24pm

Nothing worse than a stagehand scorned...

White Shirt
#47Can someone explain how this is ok? stagehand at Wicked
Posted: 2/19/10 at 7:32pm

Mom I see they let you out of rehab again did you take your meds because your starting to loose reality.You know you were put in the hospital a long time ago when I was young.Sorry everyone when mom forgets to take her meds she starts to rant about things that never happened.She lives in a pretend world.If you look up streakers mom used to run through the theaters naked and tried to bite the ushers.I'm supposed report to the hospital if she stops taking meds well I guess its back to the rubber room for you.Thats not even a picture of us you burned them all when you went off your meds you sick woman.I'm trying to be nice to you mom your not making it easy