rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 12:14am

I'm gonna try to keep this brief but this is the most entertaining show of the season, hands down. I just had a ball at the show tonight.

The cast is very strong; they need a BIT more time to completely mesh and iron out the kinks but they are pretty wonderful right now. Justin Bartha is a real surprise, showing off some real stage chops. And Anthony LaPaglia and Tony Shalhoub are ridiculously sublime. The best person in the show, however, is Jan Maxwell. I didn't want her to leave the stage. She's hardly on the stage and she ABSOLUTELY stole the show for me. She was unbelievably wonderful.

Stanley Tucci has directed this show pretty perfectly. There are a few kinks and lulls here and there and a couple of jokes that aren't totally set up flawlessly, but this will come in time. He does keep the show moving at a brisk pace and keeps the door-slamming hilarity perfectly-timed. He really knew what he was doing here, and does it fabulously.

The set is perfect for the show. I had a few issues with hearing, mainly with Shalhoub in the first half. I don't know if it was HIM or the sound system but I had a little trouble hearing/understanding him during the first act.

All in all, this is a really fun, really entertaining, and really enjoyable show. I think it's gonna be a big hit. Productions like this, with casts like this, providing as much unadulterated joy as this show is, reaffirm my love for live theater. I had a wonderful time at the show this evening, as did the rest of the audience it seemed, and I really can't wait to return.

***1/2 out of ****

Side note: Mary Catherine Garrison broke character at the end of the second act and almost everyone onstage started laughing (or was trying their best not to). It was HILARIOUS and one of those moments that really captures what is so great about live entertainment.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 12:26am

Thanks for the review, rOcKS! I absolutely NEED to see this, having heard nothing but the best about it. Glad you had such a great evening!

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#2rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 12:30am

I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I hope to see this next week. I love when actors break a little. Shouldn't happen often, but it's always a treat for the audience. It's so darn entertaining!

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

pli1018
#3rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 1:29am

I was there tonight as well and that scene was HYSTERICAL. It was amazing! I too loved Maxwell and was surprised by Bartha.

For stagedoor folks the entire cast came out, (though Jennifer Laura Thompson and Mary Catherine Garrison left rather quickly)as well as Stanley Tucci (who signed) and Patricia Clarkson.

Shalhoub asked if the audience was all drunk because apparently this was the best crowd they've had yet!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 6:25am

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!!!! (C'mon April!)

Thanks for posting rocks!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#5rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 7:45am

Thanks for posting, I always love to read your reviews. And I completely agree with everything you said. Especially that I can't wait to return.

Mystic Pasta
#6rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 8:36am

I agree that Jan Maxwell is stunning. She knows how to take a phrase and turn it on it's side and make it the most hilarious thing I've ever heard. Tony Shaloub is also perfectly cast. I think Anthony Lapaglia is solid but could use some more time in front of audience. It seemed as if he was tentative at times and not having as much fun as the rest of the excellent cast. This is the perfect show for the spring. It's well paced, so funny and you leave the theater in a great mood. I plan to take my parents who are in their 60s back to see it in May.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#7rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 9:06am

I was there two nights ago and I couldn't agree more. This will win Best Revival of a Play hands down. Stanley Tucci has an excellent shot at Best Director too. What a glorious production. As soon as I walked out of the theatre, I wanted to turn around and go back in to see it again. I haven't wanted to make a return trip to a farce so soon in a long time.

Luv2goToShows
#8rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 11:11am

Great Review : ) Thanks!

It is quite an enjoyable show I plan on going to see it again next month.

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#9rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 11:25am

Thanks for the review, rOcKS... Seeing it in less than 2 weeks, can't wait!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/28/10 at 1:05am

Saw the matinee today...

...what a great production!!! Unless Fences proves to be incredible, this show has Best Revival of a Play in the bag. Tucci did a fabulous job with this production, and the whole thing is brilliantly cast, where there is not a weak link.

Shalhoub and Bartha make a great team. Their comedic timing was fabulous, especially Shalhoub, who surprised me by how good he was. LaPaglia is also very funny.

Jan Maxwell, whom I admit to absolutely adoring, is a riot and owns the stage whenever she's on it. I wish her role were bigger, because I spent the time she was offstage hoping she'd come back soon.

Overall, the cast plays the farce REALLY well, and their timing is all great.

This is a fabulous production that I really want to return to soon. Just wonderful!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 3/28/10 at 2:51am

You people are TORTURING me! Tenor is my favorite farce...I can't wait to get to this!

Less than a month, less than a month, less than a month, less than a month.....too long!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#12rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/3/10 at 11:51pm

I saw the show today, and while I thought it was likable, I thought bits of it were a little overdone. Some of that comes from the script itself, but some of it also comes from the supporting actors. I was a little disappointed with Jan Maxwell, who was excellent last fall in "The Royal Family" but shouted too much in "Tenor" for my taste. I would still recommend this show because Justin Bartha and Tony Shalhoub are perfectly cast, but there are still some spots that could have been toned down.

Also, while I liked the rapid recap of the whole show at the start of the curtain call, does anyone know what its purpose was? I suppose it was one more big routine to finish off this big comedic production, but the blackout between it and the bows made the overall curtain call feel a little patched together instead of being one seamless sketch.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/3/10 at 11:54pm

"Unless Fences proves to be incredible, this show has Best Revival of a Play in the bag."

I still think VIEW will take this one.

As for Maxwell, she's a Goddess and can do no wrong. Every word she says on that stage is Tony worthy. "I'm a gonna give a you three numbers". =)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:01am

Of course parts of it are overdone! It's a farce. The whole thing requires completes suspension of disbelief.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#15rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/4/10 at 2:13am

Jan Maxwell is God.

And I actually would have loved it if it was even MORE over the top! It is a farce...

The most over the top actors were the ones that I loved the most; case in point Ms. Maxwell. Just brilliant!
Updated On: 4/4/10 at 02:13 AM

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#16rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/4/10 at 1:14pm

When I said overdone, I meant that some of the jokes and performances were too loud, especially the stuff between Maxwell and LaPaglia in Act One, Scene One. It wasn't headache-inducing, but I think it would have been funnier if they did not yell so often.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/4/10 at 1:23pm

...It's farce. Slamming doors, mistaken identities, lightning fast coming and going, general loudness. Louder, faster, funnier.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#18rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/4/10 at 4:42pm

God, I still wish I lived near NYC. I was technical director for this show at my high school and I absolutely fell in love with it, my favorite part being the recap at the end. I might just have to plan a NYC day from my trip to the Jersey Shore this summer.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#19rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/4/10 at 6:14pm

I didn't realize the recap was part of the actual script. I'm still not sure why it's in there, but at least I know it's not something Tucci invented.

virgil blessing2 Profile Photo
virgil blessing2
#20rOcKS @ 'Lend Me A Tenor'
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:23pm

everyone, thanks! i just got us tickets to see it on 6/19. i was afraid that it might become yet another victim of the economy. before i read all your favorable reviews, i was frightened that it might perhaps close before the TONYs.

it sounds as though the show is selling well and now may even be nominated. i HOPE it plays through 6/19! LOL

"I am not 'a' Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!!!"