pixeltracker

Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews- Page 4

Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#75Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/8/10 at 8:40am

It all has to do with Equity clearance. That's why he has a limited contract.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#76Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/8/10 at 8:42am

Was also at last night's performance (I broke down so soon) and just loved it. Douglas Hodge is giving a fascinating performance. He's finding the pathos in Albin while still landing the jokes. It's the anti-Nathan Lane performance--I felt like he almost underplayed it, but without losing the wonderful joy and humor in the character. I confess it took me a little while to get used to his more subtle approach (drag and subtle not usually employed simultaneously), but he won me over completely in the second act.

A note of disagreement with AC: I though Jean-Michel was GORGEOUS. Different strokes... Actually, I also enjoyed his voice and found him appropriately petulant and bratty. The one performer I'd quibble with is Elena Shaddow. She only has about a dozen lines as Anne, but man do they all fall flat. I've never seen her before and...well, I won't be rushing out to do so again.

While Robin de Jesus is very, very Rosie Perez in this role, I could not have loved him more. I found him nothing short of perfect (his wig in the finale, however, was an unmitigated disaster).

There was great energy in the theater last night, and folks on the way out seemed to have adored it. The production just gets all the little things right: from the disco balls out front to a drag queen in the lobby directing people and making snappy jokes ("That's a wonderful outfit...for the subway.") The Cagelles are gritty and gorgeous, the costumes delightful, and the commitment to the material fierce.

Did anyone else notice Zaza fall during La Cage aux Folles? She was exiting the stage in her big white coat, went down amidst the Cagelles, and lost a shoe. It suddenly disappeared, and I only noticed it again when one of the queens (Phaedra?) tossed it off the stage. Live theater!

Michael9
#77Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/8/10 at 9:58am

Re: Row A of Mezz. I sat there on opening preview and it was a great view - not obstructed in the slightlest. I was in A11, not sure if more central would cut the thrust off, but I doubt it.

The set was pretty much identical to the London set.

Re: Jean Michel's trousers - different to the London ones in colour - but same fit and just as tight. I didn't much rate the person playing him either.

I'm glad nothing seems to have been lost in the transfer - just as wonderful as when I first saw it in London. Kelsey was good, if not incredible. He messed up the Balloon 'trick' with Hanna. Nick C was on form as Hanna and I'm glad they brought him over - he seems to have whipped the other cagelles into shape!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#78Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:02am

Nick Cunningham's leg extension at the beginning of "La Cage aux Folles" is worth the price of admission alone.

I also love that Robin de Jesus gets exit applause almost every time he exits the stage. He's absolutely hysterical.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#79Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/8/10 at 4:06pm

Honestly, reading this makes me so happy. Douglas Hodge and this production of La Cage were truly the best experience I had in a theatre last year - and I'm so glad it looks like it's had a good trip!

Hank
#80Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/8/10 at 8:45pm

I saw the second preview (yesterdays matinee), and enjoyed every minute. Wonderful all around, and Robin DeJesus was hysterical, though I tend to agree with Sauja about the finale wig.
I saw it from the rear balcony (cheap seats), not that bad- half empty, but the rest of the house seemed packed.
Oh, and the Wednesday matinee time is 2:30. I like so many others thought this might be a missprint and just to be on the safe side got there early and there was a line down the block before 2:00. No problem. Hurley's Saloon is right next door and they have Sam Adams summer ale already (first of the season) at $6 a pint.
I also want to add that there is a photo op with a 6 foot 3 drag queen as you enter, if any one's interested. Updated On: 4/8/10 at 08:45 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#81Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:01am

Well, I guess I get to be the voice of dissent on this one, but I absolutely loathed nearly every minute of this messy production. I won't even mention the shoddy book and the fact that no character beyond Georges and Albin are the least bit developed, or the fact that the ending doesn't really resolve the main issue, because neither of those things is the fault of this particular production.

The problems begin before you even enter the theater, where you're greeted outside by an obnoxious sounding drag queen, standing on a pink carpet under a disco ball and glowing pink lights. It's campy and trashy to the extreme. Oh, and the cell phone announcement was made by having several of the drag queens walk up and down the aisles telling the audience, "It's the 1970's, bitches! Shut off the phones!"

The much ballyhooed Doug Hodge can't sing one little bit, and this is the most unpleasant, irritating version of I Am What I Am I've ever heard that he croaks out. It sounds like a dying squirrel. His acting didn't seem like anything special, I don't get what all the hoopla over this performance is. He's not very convincing as a woman, and you really wonder how he is able to fool the Dindons as long as he is.

Grammer actually fared much better, in my opinion. His role may not be as showy, but I felt he gave a stronger performance and I had much more sympathy for his character than I did Albin. I also found his voice much more pleasant to listen to than Hodge.

DeJesus was ridiculously over the top and I wanted to scream every time he pranced on the stage- a complete caricature. Andreas, Applegate, and Cox are all wasted in tiny roles. A.J. Shively is about the most unlikable Jean-Michel you could possibly have. He comes across as far too much of a brat, you don't even feel like he's asking for this because he's madly in love. He doesn't get past the spoiled brat bit, and I really wanted Georges to just smack some sense into him at one point. Elena Shaddow gets perhaps the worst, most underwritten role in the show and does absolutely nothing with it.

The Cagelles aren't the least bit "notorious" or "dangerous", and there was never any moment where anyone seemed the least bit concerned about what they might do.

Much has been made about the thin orchestra of the revival playing across the street from this one, but the La Cage orchestra has exactly 8 pieces in it, and the whole thing sounds like tin. Very thin sound throughout, worse, in fact, that Night Music's.

Also, is there a reason these accents are so all over the place? Andreas and Grammer both attempt a French accent, Hodge speaks with a British one, Shively, Shaddow, and the Dindons use an American accent, and DeJesus thinks the show is set in Mexico. Shouldn't they all be speaking with French accents? Did no one think this through?

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but a couple of catchy tunes couldn't salvage the evening for me, and I frankly couldn't wait for it to end.
Updated On: 4/10/10 at 01:01 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#82Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:09am

I was there also. I enjoyed myself for the most part. It was my first exposure to the show. I was surprised to find that the material is pretty weak. It's a wonder that this beat Sunday for best score and musical.
I will not be popular for this, but I think Hodge is being overhyped. Overhyped enough that I left more impressed by Grammer. Hodge was good, but I felt a bit underwhelmed after hearing such HUGE raves. Now Grammer completely won me over, and I found him very charming. Neither of the two leads have strong singing voices, but I thought Grammer actually sounded better than Hodge.
I am also very perplexed by the accents. How were they handled in previous productions?
I did really like much of the staging and choreography. Nick Adams sticks out like a sore thumb, but I think that might be what they are going for.
Overall I think this is an entertaining production, and the audience really seemed to enjoy it. But now that I've seen every musical revival this season, Night Music is still my favorite, though that shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Updated On: 4/10/10 at 01:09 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:13am

I was there tonight also. I adored this production, all of its aspects. I was happy to see the audience was eating it up.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#84Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:54am

adamgreer, could you explain how the ending doesn't resolve the main issue?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#85Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 2:14am

Sure. M. Dindon is still a bigot who only "approves" the marriage because there are photographers outside, and Albin tells the Dindons not to come to family functions. I'm not saying it needed to be a happy ending and the Dindons needed to have a cliched epiphany, but some resolution would be nice. Everything is tied together in about 20 seconds, and by the curtain call, all is well and everyone is singing one last chorus of The Best of Times again.
Updated On: 4/10/10 at 02:14 AM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#86Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 9:50am

^Thats musical theatre for ya Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews

Mystic Pasta
#87Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/10/10 at 10:26am

I agree with AdamGreer. Robin DeJesus seemed far too contemporary in his choices and was playing the drag version of his ITH role. He was the weak spot of the show for hamming it up every time on stage. He didn't connect with Georges or Albin as real characters. It was one big cartoon. The overall production is highly entertaining but Douglas Hodges needs a rest or better vocal chops. Was expecting more from him given all the London raves about his work. Georges gives a charming performance and audiences will love seeing Fraiser sing, even if he hits a few rough notes.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#88Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 3:02pm

Does anyone know when the show has been letting out?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#89Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 6:31pm

On Friday, I was out at about 10:45. It's official running time is 2 hours 40 minutes including intermission.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Yankeefan007
#90Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 6:32pm

I think AdamGreer made his decision before going in.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#91Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 6:42pm

I don't know about that, but I just have no idea how anyone could sit in that theatre and NOT be entertained. For close to three hours, I forgot all about any stress in my life and had a smile on my face.

ColorTheHours048
#92Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 7:15pm

I agree completely with Kad. I'm not even a fan of the show. I've tried listening to the OBCR multiple times and never understood the appeal. I saw the show solely because everyone was raving about it. I expected to come out feeling the same way as I always had. But for the whole time I was there, I was completely enthralled.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#93Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:34pm

It's intermission now and this show is fantastic. I don't LOVE the must, some songs are great but the rest are pretty boring. The show is hilarious and Kelsey is great but the standouts are Douglas Hodge and Robin De Jesus.

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#94Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:55pm

I am so beyond exited to see this on Saturday. Should be a wonderful day out with my mother!!!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#95Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 8:58pm

If Hodge was to be nominated for a Tony (and time permits) would the award producers allow him to sing I Am What I Am in drag?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#96Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:00pm

"some songs are great but the rest are pretty boring. The show is hilarious and Kelsey is great but the standouts are Douglas Hodge and Robin De Jesus."

The entire score is brilliant, actually. As for De Jesus, he's playing the last character he did but this time in drag. While you're there please tell him he doesn't need to put a period at. the. end. of. ev.e.ry. wor.d. And that if he is trying to do a Rosie Perez impression, its the saddest one I've ever seen.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#97Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:01pm

I think AdamGreer made his decision before going in.

Why do you say this? I have no feelings for La Cage Aux Folles one way or the other. The only production I had previously seen was the 2005 revival, which (except for a great performance by standby Bryan Batt as Albin) I didn't like that very much.

Please show me examples of posts I made where I indicated I had made up my mind.

It seems to me, however, that as I predicted, you think anyone who doesn't like the production went into it with their mind made up. It seems like someone simply cannot accept that not everyone is as crazy about it as you are.

ColorTheHours048
#98Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:04pm

If Hodge was to be nominated for a Tony (and time permits) would the award producers allow him to sing I Am What I Am in drag?

Why wouldn't he be allowed to perform in drag? It's an awards show for the theatre community! Not to mention that the original production's Tony performance was the opening number with men in drag. And that was the 80s.

Yankeefan007
#99Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 9:13pm

Oh AdamGreer, I was just joking.

But you, on the other hand, reacted exactly as I had expected.