Hunter Foster creates "Give the Tonys back to BROADWAY" campaign- Page 23

Hunter Foster creates "Give the Tonys back to BROADWAY" campaign

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#551Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 11:53pm

That comment by topher implies that this thread isn't racist, which in turn makes it racist. RACIST, I TELL YOU! <--- there ya go :)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#552Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 11:55pm

Whew...I feel better now.

Anyone got a cigarette?

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#553Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:10am

Playbill p/u the story:

Foster told Variety that he expected the group, which he started June 16, to provoke a discussion among a fairly small group of theatre folk about the merits of bringing Hollywood stars to the Tony telecast, both as presenters and as frequent awardees, and whether that overshadows the contributions of working, non-celebrity theatre talent.

Foster said to Variety that he was surprised but heartened by how quickly his group has become popular. “Maybe if there’s enough people,” he said, “we can do something about it as a theater community.”
Link

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#554Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:14am

In the name of Andrew Lloyd Sondheim - this is getting re-damn-diculous.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 6/19/10 at 12:14 AM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#555Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:15am

That is bullsh*t. Discussion my ass, it's been hellish since the beginning.

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#556Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:18am

Welcome to GIVE THE TONYS BACK TO BROADWAY-- Broadway's version of the Taliban.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#557Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:28am

I saw A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC again tonight, and had this stupid thread on my mind the whole show!

And by the way, Catherine was luminous and terrific.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#558Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:29am

I hope she got a receipt for the award.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#559Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:31am

Kevin Adams (HAIR) & Ken Billington (THE DROWSY CHAPERONE) [Lighting Designers]
Judith Schoenfeld (GREY GARDENS) & Barclay Stiff (LOSING LOUIE) [Production Stage Managers]
Rachel Bress (9 TO 5) & Geoffrey Garret (MARY POPPINS) [Associate Choreographers]
Marc Bruni (LEGALLY BLONDE) & Tara Young (THE PIRATE QUEEN) [Associate Directors]
Roger Allers (THE LION KING) & Rupert Holmes (CURTAINS) [Book writers]
Sergio Trujillo (JERSEY BOYS) & Meryl Tankard (TARZAN) [Choreographers]
Kimberly Ann Harris (THE COLOR PURPLE) & Chris Clay (42nd STREET) [Performers]
Tom Broecker (EVERYDAY RAPTURE) & Elizabeth Hope Clancy (PASSING STRANGE) [Costume Designers]
Cecille O'Reilly (AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY) & Stephen Gabis (THE 39 STEPS) [Dialect Coaches]
Neil Armfield (EXIT THE KING) & Gary Griffin (THE APPLE TREE) [Directors]
Rick Sordelet (110 IN THE SHADE) & Thomas Schall (CORAM BOY) [Fight Directors]
Jonathan Deans (LA CAGE AUX FOLLES) & Peter Hylenski (SHREK) [Sound Designers]
Matt Clemens (LES MISERABLES) & Angelique Ilo (THE WEDDING SINGER) [Swings]

These are just a random one-credit sampling of people who have worked on Broadway. Names that no one outside of the theatre industry would know. Are these the type of people that Hunter Foster would want to be presenters at the Tonys?

If so, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But the consequence may be that CBS drops the broadcast.

Again I pose the question: is it worth it for the Tonys to become "more Broadway" and we potentially lose Broadway's 3-hour commercial?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#560Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:31am

Playbill p/u the story:

Is it a little disingenuous that the Playbill story quotes this group's rewritten description, rather than the "...We've had enough!" description that it started out with?

eatlasagna
#561Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 12:42am

wow.. I finally was able to see what all the fuss was about on Facebook... all I have to say is that this facebook group is pretty pathetic as are most of the posters... it's quite sad... opinions are fine and all but a lot of them just really do seem to come from a place of bitterness...

so my friends always ask me why i don't have that many theater friends... and I always tell them that most theater people annoy the crap out of me... and I now have substantial proof as to why I choose not to hang around theater folk! not saying everyone... but this group is enough evidence for me!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#562Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 1:46am

Is it a little disingenuous that the Playbill story quotes this group's rewritten description, rather than the "...We've had enough!" description that it started out with?

Yes, but maybe they didn't see it until after he changed it. But still, at least mention the change...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#563Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 1:46am

Who gave Hunter Foster the Playbill password?

It literally WANTS people to join.

ThankstoPhantom
#564Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 2:39am

It is stupid that a legitimate desire to have an awards ceremony be about what it is about has turned into a mis-directed stance from many on both sides of this fence.

The issue of award shows not being about their topic even stems over to the CMTs, which featured Paula Dean and Jersey Shore cast members doing a Tele-prompted skit. Just another odd example of an award ceremony clawing for hipness.

Initially, several people on here misread what Foster's group name said, and immediately began attacking. On the other hand, many foolish people on Foster's group extended it to immature bashing of Hollywood actors on Broadway (which prompted me to remove my membership and prior posts for fear of being misinterpreted).

I destest that so many argue the wrong points in deep discussions (I find this true in the debate over political issues, and won't get into them here). The argument is about how the ceremony needs to honor the theatre, and yet so-called "supporters" are immaturely attacking Zeta-Jones and seeming to want to tear down at the legitimacy of film actors. There are ****ty so-called "artists" in any creative medium, and not more in one than the other.

Note: I'm sure many of the "5 things" are not requirements on the writers' parts...They're suggestions, ideas... Or at least they should be... (again, so many foolish things are said on that group that the legitimate hopes might be misread as demands as well).

By the way, did you know that when PBS hosted the first hour, CBS was somehow able to feature all the scenes and musical numbers in a two-hour slot?! And the awards for actors, directors, choreography, and productions along with them?

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#565Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 2:55am

Just caught up after being away all day. Those 4 pages were exhausting.

"Look at what well meant did."

Le sigh.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#566Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 3:00am

^ ThankstoPhantom is SPOT ON.

Misinterpreting Hunter's sentiments, then his having to defend himself, but too late because his "supporters" post extreme bashing, and we here at BWW bash them.

Out of control.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

keithp Profile Photo
keithp
#567Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 3:34am

Hugh Jackman for example. Nobody said much about him winning and hosting the Tonys and his Broadway chops were precisely the same as CZJ i.e. nil.
Sieber I think is p'd because he is a friends with Hannah Waddingham who played Desiree in the London production. She did not transfer although great in the role. I assume the producers felt they needed a couple of big names to sell the show and as the grosses when the stars are out show, they are right

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#568Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 3:46am

Umm... Wasn't Waddingham NEVER going to transfer? Before her passing weren't Natasha Richardson & Vanessa Redgrave going to play the roles.

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#569Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 3:51am

Hunter, Hunter, Hunter.

I knock the Tony Awards as much as anyone, but it happens to be a nationally broadcast, 3 hour TV commercial for Broadway. By the way Hunty, that's a good thing--a friend's kid is coming in from out of town to see American Idiot because she watched the cast perform on the Tonys. She watched the Tonys only because she found out Green Day was performing ON THE TONYS! See how it works? Doubt she and her friends would have tuned in to the Tonys down in Philly just to see Jen Cody as a dancing bunny in Shrek.

I'm pretty sure most of the evil Hollywood invaders who appeared on the Tonys have actually been on Broadway, or are part of the new trend of celebrity producers (also a good thing, Foster).

But isn't even Broadway too commercial for such a hallowed institution as the theater? I think the Tonys should be presented at a black box theater downtown, hosted by Hunter Foster, untarnished thespian extraordinaire, featuring household names Jen Cody, and Tony Yazbeck and backed up by a few dozen angry actors who think Catherine Zeta-Jones and Denzel Washington stole their jobs. I hope CBS will be interested in airing that.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#570Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 3:58am

@CapnHook's first message - tl;dr

@the second - Misinterpreting Hunter's sentiments, then his having to defend himself, but too late because his "supporters" post extreme bashing, and we here at BWW bash them.

That's a titch disingenuous. He and his wife were publicly slagging Catherine Zeta Jones on Facebook, and as already noted, the original statement of purpose or whatever was a lot more reactionary and babyish.

As for we at BWW "bashing" them, I've said it before and I'll say it again - actors are always complaining about how "vicious" BWW is, but these numbskulls were ready to become a lynch mob because of Catherine Zeta Jones.

What a bunch of whiny, pissy brats.
Updated On: 6/19/10 at 03:58 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#571Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 4:00am

I think the Tonys should be presented at a black box theater downtown, hosted by Hunter Foster, untarnished thespian extraordinaire, featuring household names Jen Cody, and Tony Yazbeck and backed up by a few dozen angry actors who think Catherine Zeta-Jones and Denzel Washington stole their jobs. I hope CBS will be interested in airing that

OMG, that sounds like an Equity Showcase in HELL!

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#572Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 4:03am

That was my inspiration, Phyllis!

keithp Profile Photo
keithp
#573Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 6:52am

When the transfer was first mooted, there was talk she would go with it.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#574Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/19/10 at 8:07am

So even though most of the actors who won started off in theatre before going to Hollywood now they are no longer allowed to be a part of it?

Zeta Jones worked the theatre stage here in the UK, i saw her a few times. This stupid group seems to make it sound like she woke up one morning and said 'I wanna be on Broadway' and got in.

God i hope Hunter continues trying to get TV or Film work and the industry keeps him out, you know, because hes from theatre and they dont want theatre actors invading.

Pathetic

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna