pixeltracker

Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?

Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?

brdwybound04
#1Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 1:34am

I'm trying to figure out the next logical R & H show that is due for a Broadway bow, based on the last time they were seen from their cannon of major works. Any thoughts?

Carousel (LCT 1994 Revival)
King & I (1996)
State Fair (1997)
Sound of Music (199Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Oklahoma! (2002)
South Pacific (200Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?

Personally, I'd love to see a reworked State Fair in a limited engagement at either LCT or Roundabout... What do u think it the most likely choice?

~Ben

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 1:35am

I'd love to see Sher and LCT try The King and I.
Updated On: 6/20/10 at 01:35 AM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#2Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 1:37am

I'd actually love to see Sher (or any competent director) tackle Allegro. It really needs a bigger life. Anyone who doesn't have the recent studio disc must pick it up ASAP.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 1:42am

I would love The King and I at Lincoln Center! That's a brilliant idea. It wouldn't surprise me if they are looking at other R&H musicals to produce since South Pacific was so well received.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#4Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 6:46am

I think ALLEGRO is a dog, totally forgettable. There is a reason it had a short run.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

mamaleh
#5Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 7:56am

Maybe with a reworked book? "So Far" and "The Gentleman is a Dope" deserve to be heard again, gloriously sung on a stage.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#6Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:05am

I don't think a re-worked book could help it. It's an interesting show, definitely, but it doesn't work. In my opinion, all the R&H shows where they started off writing with a concept (Allegro: chronicling a man's whole life; Me and Juliet: writing a show that's in one location the entire time) instead of a story, just aren't up to snuff.

There was also a revival of Flower Drum Song in 2002 with a totally new book. However, I don't think we're going to see a revival of that show for a long time, if ever.

I would love to see a total remount of the '94 Carousel, but realisticallt I think that sometime in the next five years we might see a revival of The King and I. I think it's the most revived R&H show.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:10am

If we get a revival of The King and I soon, they'd probably get Sutton Foster for Anna and someone like BD Wong for the King. I'd rather it go unrevived in that case.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#8Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:23am

Really? Sutton Foster? I'd have a lot more faith in producers and in Foster herself that she wouldn't be cast. If anyone, I would think Kelli O'Hara. Or, if they go for color blind casting (ala Carousel or 110 in the Shade), Audra McDonald.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

slmlbl Profile Photo
slmlbl
#9Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:31am

Cinderella...
... would love to see lea as cinderella on b'way.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:33am

If KING & I were revived, I would love to see Kate Baldwin get a shot at it.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#11Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:43am

I was just going to suggest Kelli O'Hara and Kate Baldwin! I am a huge Sutton fan, but vocally she's not right for Anna. Laura Benanti would sound beautiful although I can't see her as much as O'Hara and Baldwin.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#12Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:53am

It seems like Kelli O'Hara and Kate Baldwin are the current go-to girls for traditional musical revivals. I'm not complaining; I love every opportunity to hear them show off their classically trained voices. I just wish someone would write a show for them.

Jordan Catalano
#13Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 9:57am

Marin us first in line for the "someone needs to write a show for them" line

iluvtheatertrash
#14Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 10:17am

Love the idea of a Beaumont King and I helmed by Sher. CRAZY IN LOVE with the idea of Kate Baldwin as Anna.

Also love the idea of Audra!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 10:20am

Kate Baldwin as Anna is a brilliant choice. I also wouldn't mind seeing Christiane Noll or Jennifer Laura Thompson in the role.

And if Sutton got someone to cast her as Reno Sweeney, I'd say she can get cast in anything.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Jordan Catalano
#16Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 10:26am

Exactly! Why isn't anyone asking who SHE slept with to get that part?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#17Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 10:42am

Exactly! Why isn't anyone asking who SHE slept with to get that part?

Because she's a BROADWAY actress and her mafiosa brother would kill anyone who dares to question her talent.

Jordan Catalano
#18Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 10:45am

Well I see Hunter nearly every day.

Bring it.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#19Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 10:59am

Ugh, anything but The King and I. That show makes me wish I were Vietnamese so it would be banned from the country.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#20Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 11:34am

Marin Mazie as Anna? anyone? Though Kelli, Christiane, and Kate would also be excellent.

beautywickedlover
#21Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 11:38am

I'd love it to be Cinderella.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 12:04pm

LORD, Cinderella ia an increcdibly bad show with incredibly awful music.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#23Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 12:49pm

I would love to see new reworked productions of Allegro, Me & Juliet, and Pipe Dream. MAYBE, Encores should do a tribute to R&H, and do these 3 shows.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Jordan Catalano
#24Next Rodgers & Hammerstein show on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/10 at 12:51pm

Wait, how is Kate Baldwin the new "go-to" girl? She did ONE show. Isn't that like saying Levi Kreis is the new "go-to" guy?

Videos