pixeltracker

Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?

Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?

WOSQ
#1Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:39am

The question begs.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#2Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:40am

Because they didn't.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:41am

Nunn was too strict about the age thing the first time around. They made the right decision by having CZJ open the show.

Q
TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#4Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:27am

As has been argued before, Bernadette, while fairly well known, would not have been able to bring in the business that CZJ did to really get this show up there in the grosses. With that, along with the significant draw of Angela, the producers knew they had a somewhat safe bet.

And even though Bernadette is proving to be an absolute revelation in this role, I still would bet that the numbers for her and Elaine's run will be lower than that of CZJ/Angela.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

byebyebaby12
#5Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:35am

The average person does not know who Bernedette is.

Q
#6Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:39am

I don't know who Bernedette is, either Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?

Actually, I think more of the middle-aged to older tourists know who she is than people think.
Updated On: 7/14/10 at 10:39 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:44am

Middle-aged and up? Sure. But only younger theatre fans know who she is.

CZJ is a movie star now. Not 30 years ago.

So, as Q said ... money.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

byebyebaby12
#8Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:44am

Yeah, but she is still not the big name you would need for a Sondheim revival to not flop.
Updated On: 7/14/10 at 10:44 AM

Jon
#9Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:49am

Was Bernadette ever really a "movie star"? She made two films - THE JERK and SILENT MOVIE - that made money. PENNIES FROM HEAVEN was a flop.

Q
#10Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:51am

Oh, I'm not arguing - hence my 'money' answer. I just think she actually does have some mainstream recognition, as opposed to some others that get touted as 'stars' around here.

byebyebaby12
#11Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:55am

Well, if you count Anastasia. But that was just her voice.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#12Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:04am

I think the best way to classify her fame is "recognition" and not much else. I'm fairly confident that if you showed someone a picture of her, they would probably say they know the face but couldn't tell you the name, let alone what she has done in her career.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

Brick
#13Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 12:49pm

The reason they didn't hire, indeed why they never even saw her, was because Nunn wanted this production cast younger. Period.

Money and Fame are certainly factors when casting the lead roles in a Broadway show. But in this case, Bernadette and others her age weren't even seen. That is why she wasn't cast.

gypsy4
#14Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:05pm

Lets not for get in ANNIE!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#15Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:09pm

No matter how you feel about the decision, and I am an avid Bernadette fan, it was the right decision. A show like Night Music would have never gotten mounted on broadway without CZJ.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#16Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:09pm

Funny how she was recognizable enough to open SONG & DANCE, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, THE GOODBYE GIRL and GYPSY. So what's the deal now?

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#17Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:20pm

They asked Angela Lansbury if she would do the show first and she said she would under one condition, they get a bigger star to play Desiree. Only then did CZJ come into the picture. I wouldn't say Bernadette Peters is a bigger star then Angela, maybe on the same level, but certainly not bigger.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:27pm

"Funny how she was recognizable enough to open SONG & DANCE, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, THE GOODBYE GIRL and GYPSY. So what's the deal now?"

Times have changed. And how many of those made a profit back?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#19Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:31pm

The deal now is that Broadway is no longer the social institution it once was. Everything now is driven by tourist traffic and how best to sell a show to an audience that does not regularly indulge in theatre. Catherine Zeta-Jones is a big movie star. Bernadette Peters, while well-known, is not.

It doesn't matter why she didn't open the show. It's over and done with. We have her now and she's absolutely divine. The show was pretty damn close to sold out last night, so let's be happy about that.

LansburyLuPone Profile Photo
LansburyLuPone
#20Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:37pm

CZJ did a great job, I thought. She was on the London stage from the time she was eleven years old and has plenty of theatrical experience. It will be interesting to see Bernadette take the role on, too.

"Omigod, it's the Queen of Rumania!" --from "Mame" http://harmoniousglitter.blogspot.com/

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#21Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:54pm

Two of those shows you listed are revivals, Carlos. Another was the newest from Andrew Lloyd Webber. In no way am I slagging her, but I don't think her name (even though I'd say she was a bigger name then than now) is what got most of those shows to the stage.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#22Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 2:01pm

Catherine Zeta-Jones was brilliant in Night Music.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#24Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
Posted: 7/14/10 at 2:06pm

I think get CZJ was the right choice not just for money reasons but maybe she just fit the part, I was at the performance last night and it seemed CZJ enjoyed the part a tiny bit more , to me at least, although bernadette had more stage presence. Every time she came on stage I smiled much more than Cathrine

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall