Children and Musicals

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 6:56pm

Ok we may love Children and Art, but can anyone not *stand* children and musicals?

The best example I can think of is "Castle on a Loud", where whenever I hear I want to projectile-vomit.

Thank god in GYPSY the children are used for comedy/parody.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 7:16pm

Remind me not to sit near you at a show or at least remind me to bring an umbrella.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 7:27pm

I don't know if I necessarily think the children in Gypsy's main function is comedy/parody.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 7:31pm

I agree to say they are only comedy/parody is an extreme oversimplification. Because it's part of the development of the whole story, and obviously as soon as they transition into teenagers/young adults etc.. they become 'real'.

But I mean in the sense that in GYPSY, there is no taking itself overly seriously with the Baby June numbers like there is Castle on a Cloud.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/4/10 at 07:31 PM

rjm516
#4Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 7:41pm

Oh geez I think the Baby June numbers are wayyy more irritating than Castle on a Cloud.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 7:43pm

Yeah but that's the point. It's hilarious.

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#6Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 7:52pm

UGH I can't stand it when there are children in musicals either. I don't know why but it really bothers me. A lot.

The Best of Times is Now!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/4/10 at 9:48pm

This is why I cannot stand Annie. Sitting through it is pure torture.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

zunit1234 Profile Photo
zunit1234
#8Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 4:15am

Children and the roles they play in musicals aren't always bad

case and point:

Noah in Caroline, or Change

or

Jason in Falsettoland

I think they are very real and effective

Witty signature to come.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#9Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 10:51am

Stage managing Oliver with 17 kids in the cast. Miserable.

gypsy4
#10Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 12:08pm

I find working with children in a show is irritating, but find it very cute when watching t them perform on stage. maybe you feel this way due to bad experiences?

#11Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 12:13pm

Ragtime. God, those horrible kids!

sgv123
#12Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 12:17pm

I actually don't mind watching kids on stage, but I don't know what it is like working with them.

Jon
#13Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 3:11pm

The most obnoxious, annoying kids ever were in the Broadway cast of "big - the musical". The most entertaining part of the evening was watching them act like idiots in Shubert Alley after the show.

AwesomeDanny
#14Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 3:16pm

Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. I, personally, can't stand listening to 5-year-old girls shout "It's the Hard-Knock Life", struggling to hit the notes. However, I did like the kids in Billy Elliot.

brightasyellow
#15Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 3:34pm

I loved Daisy Eagan in Secret Garden...

PastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
#16Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 3:45pm

bwayphreak234, I'm confused. If you can't stand children in musicals, why see Annie?

bwaybug85
#17Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 9:39pm

What's that quote "Don't ever work with kids or animals unless you want to be upstaged?: Almost every show I saw with a kid in it, they tend to get the loudest applause (other than the leads).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#18Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 10:43pm

I agree AwesomeDanny, I actually LOVED Billy Elliot. The last national tour of Annie I saw was one of the worst productions I have ever seen. The little girls were dreadful.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BosBroad
#19Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 11:03pm

Brightasyellow - great positive example. I also loved Daisy.

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#20Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/5/10 at 11:23pm

I tend to hate most children actors. Mostly, because they OVER ACT EVERYTHING! I also hate working with them. There are only a handful I like.

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#21Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:44am

Sorry to double post, but this sums up everything I hate about child actors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjtNKo68n94&feature=related

SporkGoddess
#22Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/6/10 at 1:34pm

I very rarely like children's singing. There's one exception because usually I like the girls who play Mary in The Secret Garden. I saw a college production recently and the girl who played her was fantastic.

But what I REALLY hate are boy sopranos. Gustave in Love Never Dies annoys me so much. I only can stand him when he's using his lower register.

Not to mention you get a weird feeling because you have to wonder if those kids are really there voluntarily.

Re the link above: Yeesh.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#23Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/6/10 at 1:54pm

Maybe you just don't like the song Castle on a Cloud?

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#24Children and Musicals
Posted: 8/6/10 at 1:54pm

That Tam from Miss Saigon - what a lil loud mouth brat. All of them.

Videos