Sister Act On Broadway!

chrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
#25Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/6/10 at 4:35pm

I thought half of the show was amazing, and half a bore.

They need to cut the majority of the stuff for the men- no one cares!

They need to re-work the book- the three "supporting" nuns were so underwritten (which is confusing as they are so well written in the film!)

BUT I think it'll be nice on Broadway.

And its deffo not in Patinas contract-they are trying to woo a name apparently.

And apparently they have asked Kathy Najimy (the film Sister Mary Roberts) to be Mother Superior.

x

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#26Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/6/10 at 4:37pm

^Kathy played Sister Mary Patrick in the movie.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#27Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/6/10 at 4:47pm

If Patina doesen't transfer I'd love to see Jennifer Hudson play the role! I can dream :)

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

everythingISpossible Profile Photo
everythingISpossible
#28Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/7/10 at 12:19pm

Any truth to the rumor that they are trying to get Beyonce for Sister Mary and Shirley MacLaine for Mother Superior?

I know, sounds like pipe dream casting on the producer's part, but I know Beyonce wants an EGOT...

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#29Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/7/10 at 7:29pm

Whoopi loves Patina and it would be hard to believe they would replace her. She got raves for her performance in London and from what I hear, held the show together very well. I would love for her to transfer.

jamiekennywicked
#30Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/9/10 at 5:23pm

I heard Christopher Jackson of In The Heights auditioned for this (I'm assuming Shank, the boyfriend). Anyone else know who was among the other auditionees? (excuse bad spelling)

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#31Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 1:16am

^^^^Or maybe Eddie, the Lieutenant who helps Deloris hide.

blacktie
#32Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 11:17am

"If Patina doesen't transfer I'd love to see Jennifer Hudson play the role! I can dream :)"

I know I said the same regarding Saycon, but I'd be there in a heartbeat to see Jennifer. Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen as she's slated to release her sophomore album this winter, as well as upcoming promotional obligations for her new movie "Winnie."

JillianSch Profile Photo
JillianSch
#33Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 7:43pm

It definitely was not the greatest show I have ever seen, but light hearted & feel good.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#34Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/17/10 at 4:43am

ChrissyDee I feel the EXACT same way as you on ALL of these points!

"I thought half of the show was amazing, and half a bore.

They need to cut the majority of the stuff for the men- no one cares!

They need to re-work the book- the three "supporting" nuns were so underwritten (which is confusing as they are so well written in the film!)

BUT I think it'll be nice on Broadway.

And its deffo not in Patinas contract-they are trying to woo a name apparently.

And apparently they have asked Kathy Najimy (the film Sister Mary Roberts) to be Mother Superior.

x"

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#35Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/18/10 at 6:17pm

I just returned from a week in London with theatre friends. We arrived with much jet lag but wanted to see a show that night. We stood at TKTS trying to figure out which option would be most likely to be loud and keep us awake. We chose Sister Act knowing that many people in London found it only "so-so". We loved it. The book could use a little tweaking, but I found the show so much fun, and the score surprisingly better than I expected. Sets were terrific -- those stained glass windows and the cartoonish religious icons are really impressive.

I'm anxious to see how in does on Broadway, and I'm so surprised it must end in the West End.

jamiekennywicked
#36Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 8:10am

Amy K Murray auditioned for Mary Patrick.
Sister Act On Broadway!

Audition tape

jamiekennywicked
#37Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/30/10 at 7:16pm

A bit random, does anyone know if they are using the same artwork from London for Broadway? The one I found is slighty different to London.
Sister Act On Broadway!

beautywickedlover
#38Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/30/10 at 8:04pm

I hope the London cast had a great final performance tonight. Best wishes to them all. I hope Patina will transfer over here to the states this spring. Updated On: 10/30/10 at 08:04 PM

grandpianoalex
#39Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/30/10 at 8:50pm

Marla Mindelle will be playing Sister Mary Robert.

Sarah Bolt will be playing Sister Mary Patrick.

beautywickedlover
#40Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/30/10 at 10:35pm

"Marla Mindelle will be playing Sister Mary Robert.

Sarah Bolt will be playing Sister Mary Patrick."

What's your source?

grandpianoalex
#41Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/30/10 at 10:54pm

It was on BroadwaySpotted's twitter on October 15. I then checked Marla's resume on her website. It was updated WITH the Sister Act casting. I just tried to check again, but it seems her website has been hacked by some "Turkish Hacker"...

beautywickedlover
#42Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/31/10 at 1:01am

^ If this is true than so much for me hoping that Anneliese van der Pol will play Sister Mary Robert.

jamiekennywicked
#43Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 10/31/10 at 7:56am

Anyone know of any more casting?

Zingingtobway
#44Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 11/1/10 at 3:41pm

I agree that some rewrites are needed.. The Male Characters need to be more developed and their songs need to be tweaked. I look forward to this show coming to Bway and I am Happy that Patina Miller will reprise her role... Heck she deserves it. I would have loved to seen Jeannette Bayardelle in that role as well.

There is nothing in the world better than Live Theater.

atlsuperstar
#45Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 11/1/10 at 8:25pm

I would imagine that Saycon or Jeannette will more than likely end up in this show in the ensemble as her understudy! I actually will be pretty shocked if one of them are not in this!

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#46Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 11/2/10 at 6:26am

I don't get people's enthusiasm for Alan Menken's score for this show. Each time I hear it, it never fails to bore the ever-lovin' **** out of me. I want Marc Shaiman and his Motown arrangements back, and let's fill it out with some of the other covers from Sister Act II if we have to! (And don't give me that crap about "Motown's publishers have other plans"...like they'll seriously wait around for Berry Gordy's nebulous Motown bio-musical to happen.)

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#47Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 11/2/10 at 11:28pm

The prices have been posted on Telecharge:

Orchestra Rows A-V: $119.00
Orchestra Rows W-Y: $86.50
Front Mezzanine: $119.00
Rear Mezzanine Rows A-E: $86.50
Rear Mezzanine Rows F-R: $51.50

Friday - Sunday:
Orchestra Rows A-W: $126.50
Orchestra Rows X-Y: $99.50
Front Mezzanine: $126.50
Rear Mezzanine Rows A-E: $99.50
Rear Mezzanine Rows F-R: $66.50

For performances beginning May 17:
Orchestra Rows A-V: $119.00
Orchestra Rows W-Y: $86.50
Front Mezzanine: $119.00
Rear Mezzanine Rows A-J: $86.50
Rear Mezzanine Rows K-R: $51.50

Friday - Sunday:
Orchestra: $126.50
Front Mezzanine: $126.50
Rear Mezzanine Rows A-J: $99.50
Rear Mezzanine Rows K-R: $66.50

jamiekennywicked
#48Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 11/3/10 at 11:17am

Was anyone at the press launch? Apparently they song RAISE YOUR VOICE and TAKE ME TO HEAVEN. Did anyone recognize some of the cast?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#49Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 11/3/10 at 11:28am

Patina Miller performed with members of the London company for the press launch.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.