ELF Thoughts???

KirbyCat
#75ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/8/10 at 9:48pm

Oh! Okay, good. Yes, it was very cute. It's very Bob Martin. They had something similar in the Drowsy Chaperone (where his phone kept on ringing and ringing to the point where he had a big monologue on how it ruins the moment).

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#76ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/8/10 at 11:26pm

^Agreed, very Bob Martin. Man I loved Drowsy. In Drowsy, though, wasn't that moment a little farther in? It acted more as a comment than a pre-show announcement I would say.

Also can I just say that I loved the lyric "from head to mistletoe." It might be corny, but I was instantly charmed!

KirbyCat
#77ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 6:43am

Well, yes. The monologue itself comes about 2/3 into the show, just before the cane scene. But throughout the show (just after the first number, if I remember correctly) the phone rings for the first time. He waits it out. A second time later on... and so forth.

And I loved that line too! Again, very cute. I was a fan of the score. SUPER catchy for me.

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#78ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 9:20pm

Tried to get tickets for a few weekends in December to no avail. Guess its selling pretty well, not surprising but I'm a little disappointed I don't think I'll be able to see it!

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#79ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 9:26pm

^ Really? Wow. This makes me very glad we got our tickets way early like we did.

wendilin622
#80ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 9:30pm

Yeah we tried the 4th, 5th, 11th, and 12th. Matinee and evening performances. There were some $137 tickets left, but I can't afford that. We couldn't even find any $97 seats....

KirbyCat
#81ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 9:50pm

Did you try the discount on broadwaybox?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#82ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 10:46pm

I have one extra free ticket for next

IT'S BEEN CLAIMED...THANKS!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 11/10/10 at 10:46 PM

HBBrock
#83ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/9/10 at 11:12pm

Just got home from seeing "Elf." I absolutely LOVED IT!!!! Bob Martin and Thomas Meehan were both there tonight too. It was a great holiday show with a good heart, really catchy songs...."A Christmas Song" being the standout hit. Sebastian Arcelus was awesome as Elf!!!

Two thumbs up!

wendilin622
#84ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 5:22am

Yeah Kirby, I tried broadwaybox, theatremania, playbill, and even telecharge. There were $137 tickets...just nothing in the $50 range and most discounts expire before Thanksgiving (makes sense).

Bummer.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#85ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:04am

I'm not suprised that weekend tix are sold out...there are only so many of those to go around. I bet you could get weekday tix relatively easily.

I'm not trying, I have no desire to see this. Nor do my children--I would have taken them if they wanted.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#86ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 10:45am

I can't wait to miss this one.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#87ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 10:56am

I'm looking forward to seeing it on Tuesday!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#88ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 12:42pm

Saw this Saturday. LOVED it! So much fun. Great score, fun book, wonderful performances. Arcelus and Leavel are marvelous. Spanger and Jacoby are doing what they can.

The useless bulimia joke and the few curse words should most definitely be done away with.

Sylar2 Profile Photo
Sylar2
#89ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:14pm

Agreed.. I was bored out of my mind. I felt like I was at Universal Studios watching their holiday show. It just seemed so cheap and low budget.

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#90ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:28pm

"Yeah we tried the 4th, 5th, 11th, and 12th. Matinee and evening performances. There were some $137 tickets left, but I can't afford that. We couldn't even find any $97 seats...."

I bought our tickets literally as soon as they were available to the general public. We were hoping for the cheaper tickets, but we didn't want to be stuck in the rear left corner. So we went up a price range, but they're apparently all sold out now for the night we chose (December 10).

Sylar2 Profile Photo
Sylar2
#91ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:32pm

By the way... have you guys seen the website for the show? It looks about as cheap as the show does. I don't do web design but I think even I could have made a better looking website.

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#92ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/11/10 at 11:27am

Jesus, are you guys THAT hard up for something Christmas-y?

I went last night, and guys, there's no other classification for this than 'crap.' I'll admit, it's somewhat above the level of "The Grinch," but it's just a totally uninspired, soulless cash-in with forgettable songs and a book that's nearly a carbon copy of the movie, almost entirely filled with verbatim dialogue/jokes lifted right from the screenplay, only without Will Ferrell's timing/energy/delivery.

It wasn't absolutely painful to watch, but it's pure lazy, generic tedium that entirely wastes its cast (Beth Leavel, most of all). AVOID.

Mr.Man
#93ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/11/10 at 4:16pm

how come now one has talked about George Wendt!? he's terrible. He's glassy eyed and looks drunk and is obviously there for the good paycheck. he plays santa clause and turns it into a useless lack luster role! How is that possible! He. Was. Awful. The worst part of the show. The ensemble is having a great time and doing the best with the material given to them. I got student rush tickets that were still $42 dollars and they gave me a hassle about it being valid and out of date and stuff.... REALLY!?

zerose
#94ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/11/10 at 7:59pm

The bulimia joke has been replaced by something like "to hell with Jenny Craig!"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#95ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/13/10 at 7:39am

Does anyone know if they're planning on a cast recording? Are they taking pre-orders like Women on the Verge?

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#96ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/13/10 at 12:16pm

As of last Sunday the word from the merch sellers was that they're still waiting to hear on whether or not a cast recording will be done. I wouldn't be surprised if they did one, but if they haven't even recorded one at this time, I think it would be hard to get one produced and ready for sale by Thanksgiving when sales really pick up.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#97ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/13/10 at 6:26pm

They should have had one ready. Like I said, this is def. the kind of show where people will impulse buy. They aren't going to sell a lot of "Elf: the musical" recordings come April, so why not have them ready at the theater?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#98ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/13/10 at 9:00pm

My bet is that they'll record a cast recording even if the show doesn't last long enough to sell it at the theater.

Why? Regionals. Elf is a show that is gonna kill in regionals, mark my words. Will it be great? No, it's not that kind of show. But small professional theaters and community groups are going to love doing Elf around the holidays, and small-town America will eat it up.

mijofly19
#99ELF Thoughts???
Posted: 11/14/10 at 12:02pm

I saw it on Friday night and it was as entertaining as I expected it to be. The production itself wasn't really worth the $200 I spent for my wife and I to see it but because we're big fans of the movie and pretty much every member of the Broadway cast we walked away very content.

But I couldn't help but think throughout the entire show that the high school in my town could put on an equally impressive performance. As someone who goes to Broadway and off-Broadway shows frequently, I feel as though nothing (sets, choreography, acting, score) lived up to the standards that most shows have.

But I don't feel as though any of that is necessarily a bad thing. For the audience it is going for, I think it is a very entertaining night of theatre.

I feel as though, with the cast and the production team being as successful and esteemed as it is, people are searching for something bigger and better than what The Grinch or White Christmas or any other holiday limited-run in the past has had to offer. But it is the same cheesy, corny, night of entertainment that will attract people coming to the city for the holidays. And for that audience, I think it delivers perfectly. Everyone in the theatre seemed to enjoy themselves.

On a side note, I would see Beth Leavel in anything and she makes the most of what she can here. I wanted to like Michael Mandell as the Store Manager but I found it very difficult to understand anything he said, and after watching the BWW TV preview I think it's safe to say that it wasn't just one performance where he had this problem.