pixeltracker

Roles they DIDN'T get....- Page 11

Roles they DIDN'T get....

Jarethan
#250Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/14/20 at 1:39pm

brettarnett said: "I just read on the other board that Sutton Foster turned down Gypsy in the Lupone revival to appear in Young Frankenstein. I would have been very curious to see her as Louise."

What is the other board?????

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#251Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/14/20 at 2:08pm

All that Chat, I assume? I can't find that particular post, though. 

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/index.php

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#252Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/14/20 at 2:29pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Eh... not quite a paycheck. They'd run out of money and were offering people a share of the album's royalties, but her agent insisted on a flat upfront fee of 100 quid. She was kicking herself when she realized what money that deal cheated her out of. (Tim Rice says they eventually gave her a royalty out of the kindness of their hearts, though.)"

LOL we clearly own the same Blu-ray. 

LaneBryant
#253Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/14/20 at 5:11pm

Anika Noni Rose was Lottie Gee in all the early workshops of "Shuffle Along" but chose to move on to do a pilot that was not picked up... and Audra shuffled right on in. 

India Arie was slated to play Nina Simone in "Soul Doctor" but couldn't make her schedule work (she had just released a new album and needed to tour and promote), which made way for Amber Iman to make her Broadway debut.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#254Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/14/20 at 5:23pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Ahmy said: "Danny Pudi was in one of the workshops for Beetlejuice, and I'm kind of disappointed his involvement didn't go any further. (And that there seems to be minimal photo evidence and no audio/video evidence.)"

We see rehearsal footage of shows, but how often do you see photos from things like workshops? We find out that they're in the workshop but very rarely do we actually get photos or videos...
"

Heres some photos of Danny in Rehearsal. Really wish this would have happened! Love him on Community! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZoic78H5Zh/?utm_source=ig_embed

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZrVtAogENw/?utm_source=ig_embed

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#255Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/15/20 at 12:45pm

joevitus said: "g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Eh... not quite a paycheck. They'd run out of money and were offering people a share of the album's royalties, but her agent insisted on a flat upfront fee of 100 quid. She was kicking herself when she realized what money that deal cheated her out of. (Tim Rice says they eventually gave her a royalty out of the kindness of their hearts, though.)"

LOL we clearly own the same Blu-ray.
"

Actually, Tim tells the same story in his autobiography. (I got lucky; some Amazon book sellers buy from estate sales or in bulk and don't pay close attention, which is how I wound up with a signed copy, with a Christmas card from him to the dedicatee pressed into its pages as well. Not the only luck I've had with JCS over the years...)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Loopin’theloop
#256Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 5/16/20 at 2:03pm

Joanna Riding played the title role in the workshops for ‘Mary Poppins’ but Cameron decided he wanted to go younger and she was offered the role of Mrs Banks...

That’s gotta feel like a kick to the crotch!

SamanthaCH
#257Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/17/20 at 9:34am

I am now watching the #StarsInTheHouse episode with the original company of Les Miz, and they just mentioned that, before Frances Ruffele was offered to come to Broadway,  the role of Eponine had already been cast with an American actress. Does anyone know who she was? They said she left the job to be in Smile (BIG mistake!). 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#258Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/17/20 at 10:03am

Anne Marie Bobby 

https://www.playbill.com/article/diva-talk-chatting-with-tony-winning-les-miz-star-frances-ruffelle-plus-news-of-buckley-and-paige-com-133494

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

brettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
#259Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/17/20 at 11:50pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Recently Jenn Colella revealed she was being seen for PJ for the company revival.
Also, Patina Miller was one of the final 3 choices for Effie in the dreamgirls movie.
"

I would have loved to see Colella as PJ in Company. I haven't seen this revival yet but the thought of different gendered partners for Bobbie is exciting.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#260Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/18/20 at 2:54am

Let's get a Bobbie who can SING the role! 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#261Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/18/20 at 5:46am

brettarnett said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Recently Jenn Colella revealed she was being seen for PJ for the company revival. Also, Patina Miller was one of the final 3 choices for Effie in the dreamgirls movie."

I would have loved to see Colella as PJ in Company. I haven't seen this revival yet but the thought of different gendered partners for Bobbie is exciting.
"

Patina as EFFIE? nonsense. i still wish she would play Deena in a revival though.

when i first heard all three of the boyfriends were... boyfriends i was so bored. i’m like really? a 35 year old straight woman? seemed so obvious one should be a girlfriend.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#262Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/18/20 at 10:20am

Or -- maintaining the original framework and making a comment on contemporary parallels -- just let her be lesbian and not have to change nearly as much.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

brettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
#263Roles they DIDN'T get....
Posted: 6/18/20 at 11:58am

I agree 100%. Why not make her a lesbian or bi. Such a missed opportunity.

Re Patina. I am still flabbergasted that Patina almost got Effie. I remember hearing it at Seth's Chatterbox and Seth was dumbfounded. She said the producers were looking to go in a "different direction" for Effie. Which is complete absurd but I guess not out of the realm of possibility for a Hollywood adaptation.