Dramatic Coloratura
#26Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/21/11 at 9:16pm

Triditto.

threetwoone Profile Photo
threetwoone
#27Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 3:53am

Mid-show (well, intermission) Diana switch tonight. Ouch Alice's voice, I felt terrible for her. Pearl was fine. Very disjointed show though. "Didn't I See This Movie" was... interesting. "Didn't I Bring Some ear plugs? And if not, why didn't I?"

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#28Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 8:47pm

@threetwoone: what happened in "Didn't I See"? Is Pearl doing better with the lyrics?

Just curious...

Clint. Atlanta,GA

threetwoone
#29Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 9:12pm

Alice's voice was just cracking left, right and centre and she lost it at points throughout the act.

Pearl's performance was flawless in the sense she did nothing wrong (that I could see anyways). "The Break" was sung perfectly with every lyric able to be heard (I'm assuming that's where she would have made a mistake..?).

How many times has she gone on now?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#30Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 9:15pm

I believe she has been going on more recently because Alice's voice seems to be shot...no surprise. Loved Alice's Diana on broadway. Haven't been able to see the tour yet..

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#31Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 9:38pm

so intrigued to see Pearl in the role...wonder how it changes the family dynamic....it adds yet another dimension..and more questions.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

broadwaybabe1234 Profile Photo
broadwaybabe1234
#32Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 10:12pm

So diana goes in for ECT and comes out.... Asian?

I was at the same performance. Alice has been sick for the majority of the run in seattle. Before last nights performance, Pearl had been on 5 times throughout the entire tour.
i have seen the show twice on broadway, once in seattle and once again with the switching dianas. It was very interesting to see Pearl but i have to see she looked scared to death the entire 2nd act (which i don't blame her for) and she didn't really "act." it was kind of disappointing....
Also, i don't want to sound racist but it really doesn't make sense for her (since she is asian) to be the mother of the two (very white) children. it really distracted from the story.

[believe]

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#33Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 2/28/11 at 10:13pm

I know Perry has been on as Gabe...Anyone see him?

threetwoone
#34Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/1/11 at 12:08am

broadwaybabe1234, you weren't in the front row by chance, were you?

And yes, she did look scared to death the entire second act! I thought that was her interpretation but maybe she was just genuinely shocked...

broadwaybabe1234
#35Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/1/11 at 11:31am

i was in row G center. friday night i saw it and i was in the back of the balcony. i kind of feel you need to be in the first 15-20 rows of the theater to get the real feel of the show. Farther back then that and it gets totally lost.

Pearl has such a beautiful voice and i was so excited for her to go on but that being said, i want Alice back. Even when her voice is not the best, her acting is amazing and really becomes the heart of the show.

Another side note about the touring cast, Asa Sommers and Emma Hunton are wonderful. i thought it wasn't going to be as good without J. Robert Spencer but Asa bring so much new to the role as well as some of the powerful moments Bobby had. Now i really didn't like Jenn Damiano on Broadway and Emma has a refreshing portrayal, that is funny and heart felt.

[believe]

broadwaybabe1234
#36Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/2/11 at 12:34am

Just a side note, Alice is out again tonight and Pearl Sun preforms

[believe]

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#37Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/2/11 at 12:38am

How soon until they fly in Catherine or Jessica to cover Diana?...If Alice goes on vocal rest....hmmm Just a though. And I know Jessica is in Priscilla..but...who knows..Or Marin maybe. Her Diana. WOW. Just wow. Amazing.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#38Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 7:10pm

Anyone know if Ripley is still resting?

Clint. Atlanta,GA

fade2black2 Profile Photo
fade2black2
#39Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 7:52pm

Apparently not!
Ripley CD signing

boylikethat Profile Photo
boylikethat
#40Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 8:02pm

I have tickets to the March 12 matinee and I hope she's in. I saw a Saturday evening performance last year in New York. She had been in for the matinee but Jessica (who was awesome) stepped in for the evening show. I really hope I don't miss Alice again.

broadwaybabe1234
#41Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 11:58pm

Alice is back in the show as of tonight. when i asked her what happened she said that she "needed to take a few days off" and didn't say anything about being sick which was curious. i'm guessing her voice is overworked. Still, her acting is top-notch and she is giving wonderful preformances. I have tickets for the 13th so i'll see if her voice is in better shape than it was last sunday.

[believe]

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#42Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 2:58pm

We saw the show last tuesday (March 1. The dance was kinda cheesey). Pearl was on, and I knew going in that there was a fairly good chance that Alice wouldn't be on, but I really wanted to see the show anyway.

It was interesting getting the Asian dynamic in the show, because in Asian cultures, they typically glorify the son and pay less attention to the daughters, and I think my sister (who didn't know anything about the show going in) really connected to that part with the new family dynamic going on with an asian mother. From where we were sitting (up in the balcony), it wasn't really much of an issue with the mother being asian, and the kids being white, because both kids had brunette hair, and can pass as being mixed race.

I thought Pearl gave a really good perfomance. She seemed a little unsure of either the lyrics or vocals in a few parts, but I think it kinda added to the character portrayal. I thought everyone else did a great job, though I still prefer Aaron's vocals over Curt's. I do like the guy who played Henry (can't remember his name right now) over Adam's on the cast album.

I'm still hoping to try to catch Alice as Diana, though. I already have (season) tickets next week to the other show that the 5th Avenue is doing in tandem ("Vanities"), but I'm thinking about switching those tickets for antoher night to try to see N2N again.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#43Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 3:58pm

This is my very first post here, so my apologies if this is really obvious or adds nothing to the conversation, BUT....

Have you guys been following the comments section of this article?

http://blog.ctnews.com/meyers/2010/07/05/alice-ripley-in-%E2%80%98next-to-normal%E2%80%99-knowing-when-to-leave/

It's become an ongoing thread about AR's voice problems on the tour --- and Alice *herself* appears to have commented twice, including earlier this week.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#44Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 5:27pm

Wow, this is becoming very interesting. :P I still stand by that her singing the score like she is because it's a character choice, but I've only seen her on Broadway, not on the tour. So I really don't know "how far gone" her voice actually is.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 5:31pm

I think it's clear from people who have seen her early broadway and tour, and by her absences, that this is not a character choice.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

yournamehere Profile Photo
yournamehere
#46Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 5:31pm

Thank you for that read. She's ridiculously and deliciously out of her mind.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#47Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 5:33pm

I saw her on the day before her final Broadway performance and her final performance and didn't notice any strain to her voice at all. In fact, I was incredibly surprised because I've heard from other people she didn't sound too great.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 5:37pm

Will Alice ever learn? Responding to a blog or message board is never a good idea for a performer. It never ends well.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#49Pearl Sun as Diana today!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 6:56pm

Her tone is certainly not a character choice. It has just been affected by singing so much. She kinda sounds like she is constantly covering which makes it sound distorted. Mind you I thought she sounded better then on Broadway when I saw the tour. And her performance is still great.