Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#1Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:32pm

A great lady of the theater...and a great lady.

Theoni V. Aldredge, Costume Designer for ‘Chorus Line,’ ‘Annie,’ Has Died

Updated On: 1/21/11 at 01:32 PM

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#2Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:38pm

I genuinely believe she influenced the fabric (no pun intended) of the American musical more than she'll ever get credit for. She will be missed, but her contributions and legacy will live on for a very long time.

Akiva
Updated On: 1/21/11 at 01:38 PM

WOSQ
#2Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:39pm

And in my opinion the designer of the single best costume I have ever seen anywhere.

Chita Rivera wore the same shirtwaist dress throughout almost all of The Rink. It was a drab print (blue?). But during the musical numbers there were hidden deep box pleats that just appeared with every turn and extension and this dress danced as much as the star. When each of Chita's songs ended the dress immediately fell back to its everyday look.

Phenomenal.

Good night Theoni. Love to Tom.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:44pm

Poor Tom. After 58 years Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge

RIP <3

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Gothampc
#4Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:47pm

Her designs were incredible as evidenced in thousands of Broadway costumes. Her Dreamgirls costumes were brilliant, not to mention her work on the quick change for the Effie character.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#5Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:50pm

She designed the costumes for ABT's Themes and Variations which I saw on Tuesday evening in DC. The costumes for this piece were absolutely stunning.

Just a few of my favorite costumes of hers:

Annie - because it was my first Broadway show
Original "42nd Street" - the gowns in Dames.
Dreamgirls - the photoshoot
La Cages - the Saint Tropez scene

There will never be another like her.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 1/21/11 at 01:50 PM

#6Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:54pm

If ever anyone deserved a posthumous lifetime achievement Tony it was Theoni Aldredge. A staggering body of work.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#7Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 1:56pm

Brilliant costume designer. Probably her most iconic designs were the finale costumes for ACL ... which Michael Bennett originally wanted in red. Thanks, Theoni, for your brilliance and making so many shows absolutely beautiful.

RIP.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#8Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 2:01pm

Oh how sad. Hard to say goodbye my love.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 2:12pm

Even her minor costumes for her minor shows were remarkable.

And she did so many major shows--if you add in the ones no one remembers, and the sum total of shows she designed must be in the thousands.

I believe there was one year in the mid-1980s when there were over 1,000 of her costumes being worn in one year on Broadway.

Her costumes were the single great thing about the movie of The Great Gatsby. The movie was pompous and overblown but her costumes created a trend and (did very nicely for Ralph Lauren as well).

Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#10Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 2:15pm

I had forgotten she did the costumes for The Great Gatsby. They were terrific, as were all of her costumes. She will be missed.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 2:17pm

A staggering loss.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

DottieD'Luscia
#12Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 2:57pm

What was her most recent Broadway credit?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 3:04pm

The revival of FOLLIES in 2001. (Unless you want to count the recreations of her costumes for the more recent CHORUS LINE.)
Updated On: 1/21/11 at 03:04 PM

DottieD'Luscia
#14Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 3:28pm

Thanks, Morosco.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#15Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 3:39pm

One of the all-time greats!

esparza 333
#16Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 4:21pm

What an artist!! She made some of the most iconic costumes in broadway history. Rest in peace Miss. Aldredge

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

#17Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 4:46pm

I am deeply saddened! An amazing woman and incredible body of work. Dreamgirls had to be my favorite show of hers.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#18Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 6:14pm

Going through Playbill's photo tribute, I had forgotten what wonderful work she had done on shows like The Rink. Not particularly flashy, but wonderful and real.

PVDColleen Profile Photo
PVDColleen
#19Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 6:32pm

An amazingly talented woman. Her work will never be topped...in my opinion.

You will be missed, Theoni.

fitzykatebaldwinfan Profile Photo
fitzykatebaldwinfan
#20Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 7:20pm

A great loss to the theater. RIP Theoni.

"I never think of the classic musicals as old-fashioned; I think of them as timeless."--Kate Baldwin

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#21Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 7:32pm

May she Rest in Peace.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

#22Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 8:38pm

Is there any sort of memorial planned?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#23Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/21/11 at 10:22pm

The Playbill article says there will be none.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#24Rest in Peace, Theoni Aldredge
Posted: 1/22/11 at 3:48am

It's still been one helluva ride.....

(with a nod to Ann Roth who designed costumes for Seesaw)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 1/22/11 at 03:48 AM

Videos