Weekly SNL thread

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#375Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/4/12 at 8:55am

I thought the Australian movie and that ridiculous mountain one were the only bombs of the night. I even liked the hotel check out skit in a kind of British humor way. The last sketch, for some reason, had me laughing harder than almost anything else all night.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#376Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/4/12 at 10:17am

The mountain sketch only worked because you could see each one of them almost crack up inside. It was so ridiculous that they had a tough time keeping it together, especially Louie CK.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#377Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/4/12 at 10:23am

I thought the mountain sketch was awful and not in a good way but in the opposite way. The last skit worked because it was funnier than most of what we had seen before, besides the Lincoln film, the opening monologue, girl at the party and I think one other bit.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#378Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/4/12 at 11:07am

That's graceful.

Can't wait to watch it!

bobs3
#379Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/7/12 at 10:25pm

I can only hope that they do "Diane Sawyer drunk on the air" this weekend.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#380Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/7/12 at 10:26pm

Let Kate McKinnon do it!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#381Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 12:14am

The slop-n-swish video was HILARIOUS.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#382Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 1:07am

Good opening bit. Homeland parody was dead on. Pharoah on Weekend Update. Everything else fell flat especially McD sketch

Poster Emeritus

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#383Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 1:13am

Love Bobby as Drunk Uncle! Thought it was a very strong show actually.

"Why did the chicken cross the road? To get away from the immigrants!"

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#384Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 1:21am

The opening sketch and the monologue were the best to me. I was hoping they would do the march though during the Les Miz song. I love Anne Hathaway! She looks really cute in that haircut.

Jon
#385Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 7:50am

Bill Hader's Mandy Patinkin was dead-on.

Rhianna really can't sing at all, can she?

Updated On: 11/11/12 at 07:50 AM

#386Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 8:16am

Thought it was the best show of the season. Everything was fun!!
Anne was perfection and love.

Except Rihanna. God she's whiny useless. Her first performance reminded me of those Karaoke kiosks at Six Flags where you can sing and have groovy cheap green-screen images on back.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#387Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 8:50am

Wow, did I watch a completely different episode? I thought last night was an (almost) all-around bomb. The Homeland sketch was dead-on and the only completely funny sketch of the night. I thought the cold open was PAINFUL and the jokes on Weekend Update were weak. Seriously, for the first show after the election, I was super disappointed.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#388Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 9:59am

Sloppy Swish, McD's, Jay as Obama on Update, and the Ellen sketch were all at the top of my list.

Why does Rhianna keep coming back, though? Ugh. At least her backdrop gave something interesting to look at!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#389Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 10:16am

I missed most of the show because I fell asleep. I know, so why should I have an opinion? Well, I woke up as Rhianna was performing and thought I was watching a completely different program because of the background. I went to change the channel to make sure I still had NBC on. It was too much.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#390Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 11:04am

I'm glad someone else liked the McD's sketch. "Badda ba ba ba go kill yourself!" The Ellen Show sketch and the last sketch from last weekend are two examples of pretty good post-Update sketches. Anne got in "trouble" last time she played Katie Holmes, so it was funny to see it again.

The opening was not funny enough. I figured it would be more biting, and between that and the monologue, I thought this would turn into Jason's last show. The girlfriends talk show was sad. I know she has barely been there, but Aidy does not seem to bring too much to the table.

At first, I thought the Mokiki sloppy swish video was trying too hard to fill the Lonely Island void, but it was great!

And is it me, or does Taran not have that bad of a singing voice?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#391Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 11:15am

I loved the Mokiki video and was thrilled Anne did Katie Holmes again. That HOMELAND bit was HILARIOUS ad I actually really loved the Romney opening. I laughed really hard at that one.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#392Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 11:36am

Loved Girlfriends (though it ended kind of abruptly), McDonald's, Mokiki (it was so odd that it worked), American Gothic (Hathaway and Sudeikis made it work) and Homeland.

Everything else was painful, which, thankfully, wasn't a lot. The Ellen sketch wasn't funny, save for Hathaway's dead-on Holmes, which was only on for 10 seconds.

I will say that Cecily Strong has become the new MVP of SNL. No matter what she's in, I always laugh.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#393Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 12:08pm

I thought it was a great episode.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#394Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 12:22pm

I thought the Mitt Romney Cold Opening was pitch perfect! It was funny, a bit sad and poked some fun at the Romneys. There is no fun at being cruel and kicking someone when they are down.
As much as I didn't like Mitt, I do kind of feel a bit sorry for him that he was so wrapped up in his own bubble of entitlement that he and Anne were probably designing the White House China instead of bothering to write a concession speech.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 11/11/12 at 12:22 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#395Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 1:11pm

I think I laughed twice during the cold open: the line about Paul Ryan carrying Wisconsin and the Trump joke. As someone else noted, I guess I was expecting it to be more biting. The whole milk bit seemed weak and reaching. Even McKinnon, who's been brilliant as Ann all season, seemed out of it--but I'd blame the writing there. She wasn't given anything to do.

The Girlfriends sketch was embarrassingly bad. The McD's sketch had a few isolated laughs, but it didn't sustain any momentum.

I clocked out after Weekend Update; apparently, it seems like most of the good stuff happened after that point. Maybe I'll check it out on Hulu later today.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#396Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 1:15pm

I don't think The Ellen Show sketch is on Hulu. They usually leave one sketch off, and that was it.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#397Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 2:56pm

I found it pretty funny overall--the Ellen sketch seemed spot on to me--and a rare SNL skit I wish had gone on a bit longer.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#398Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 3:03pm

Does anyone else hope Vanessa gets to do at least one more Miley Cyrus Show? It could be about her hair and planning her three weddings.

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#399Saturday Night Live!
Posted: 11/11/12 at 4:24pm

Wyn - I wish there could be a full Miley Cyrus show. I love it! There is always good, ridiculous Miley material!

Videos