pixeltracker

HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!- Page 2

HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!

willep
#25HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:47pm

I think it also started late ^

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#26HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:56pm

It's always been a long show. Past productions I've seen have run about 2 hours and 50 minutes.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#27HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:59pm

Right, theatreguy. I've seen productions that have gone 2 hours and 40 minutes (maybe 50 minutes). But 15-25 minutes is a pretty big difference unless they started significantly late. I'm wondering if the dance breaks were particularly long.

rjm516
#28HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:04am

I'm so glad those of you who saw it enjoyed it!

micka30
#29HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:05am

For the comments I've read, there were several minutes applause after some of the dance numbers, so I guess that adds to the supposed delay too.
One pic from the stage door: http://twitpic.com/4482hs Updated On: 2/27/11 at 12:05 AM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#30HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:10am

Forgive me for my arrogance, I do not know too much about this show but if it is running long, are there not any songs/scenes/lines that are less significant or are not particular popular that could be cut? This is a revival, many other revivals have made revisions that allow a better run time.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

micka30
#31HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:26am

We don't really know what the run time is yet. All this talking is based on very little. And it was the first preview, that's what previews are for, to make that kind of adjustments.
Personally, the longer a show is the better, more entertainment time for me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:27am

The first preview of Promises, Promises also ran 3 hours.

bwaylvsong
#33HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:27am

I don't see anything wrong with a long running time unless the show FEELS too long.
For those of you who have seen it, how was "Brotherhood of Man"? Did they use a new arrangement like the last revival's or keep the old version?

Jyn326
#34HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:37am

I had a blast!!! I must preface this by saying I go into shows looking to have a good time, not to be critical. I've never been to a preview performance before, much less a 1st preview, so this was exciting for me.

Right away the show just seemed like what springs to mind when you think of "Broadway". I loved the bright, fun costumes and clever set. The big dance numbers were more than well-received by the audience. I was really impressed with Daniel Radcliffe. I felt like he really put his heart into it and he seemed to be enjoying himself. He has a lovely voice and was a really great dancer. I thought all of the cast did an excellent job, as well. There were a couple times that castmembers tripped over words, and quickly recovered. Something so minor that could happen at any performance. I saw no sign that it was a first preview.
Before the show started a man gave a short speech. (Anybody know who he was? Sorry if it should be obvious to me...) He made a cute quip about how they won't stop the show except for safety concerns. Everyone giggled. There was plenty of laughter throughout the show. For me and my friend, it was a great night of theatre. Quite enjoyable.

My humble little two cents. I look forward to seeing everyone else's thoughts.

In case you were wondering about merch:
They had several different t-shirts, a track jacket, key chains, button sets, notepad cube, journal, a book, and a bunch of other things I forgot about. They also had a bow tie for sale, I thought that was cute.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#35HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:41am

Can someone post the photo that was posted on Twitter of the set. For what its worth... whenever one mentions a particular -- PLEASE POST IT instead of just talk about it. I mean... I always do. HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:44am

^ yes! Please post it! I'm dying to know what the show looks like.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#37HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:08am

The guy who gave the speech was the choreographer, Rob Ashford.
The show was a bit long, but it was quite entertaining nevertheless.
Daniel was truly brilliant, and so was Rose. The entire cast was top notch.
The audience really enjoyed the show, and so did I.
This is a great production, my only issue is with the show itself. The score is quite forgettable(which I already knew coming in, since I have the Matthew Broderick/Mullally recording)

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Jyn326
#38HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:13am

"The guy who gave the speech was the choreographer, Rob Ashford." Oh, ok. Thank you!

I agree, the score is forgettable.

The first act was really long. Is that where the show is always split up, or would it be possible to place the intermission earlier?

muscle23ftl
#39HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:16am

Oh god, I needed to pee immediately after that 1st act. LOL!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:18am

It seems strange to me that that many people would stage door this show, when Equus was pretty much just limping along. Maybe because this is like a big, splashy musical, but it just seems odd. I mean, I remember seeing Equus and the theater was like half full, and not that many people at the stage door.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#41HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:36am

I was there. My kids loved it.

I really enjoyed it, but it needs a lot of work (i.e., cutting!).

As Liotte said, Daniel Radcliffe is adorable. Very different take on the role from Broderick and Morse. With a few more performances under his belt, he's going to be fabulous at Finch.

Rose Hemingway is wonderful. She's going to be a big star. Lots of presence and very amusing...in a rather dreary role. She does a lot with the part.

But for me, Christopher Hanke is the scene-stealer. He's hilarious and devious yet charming and endearing. (Also VERY different from the other Bud Frumps.)

Tammy Blanchard is "okay." WAY better than Luba Mason, but no one will ever compare to Maureen Arthur in my book.

Mary Faber is solid, as always, but at some point her character just "disappears." We don't see or hear from her ever again. (ANd I can never have too much Mary Faber!)

Did not care too much for Rob Bartlett in this role, but I much preferred him to John Laroquette, who is dreadful, imo. He misses every opportunity to deliver a line that has always gotten a huge laugh. He can't sing. He can't dance. He has no presence. He sleepwalks through the show. Too bad.

I've seen the movie so many times that the performances are burned into my memory, but I enjoy the book so much that I am generally open-minded to new interpretations...and there are plenty of those here.

The male ensemble is excellent. The women are good, but this is a show about men, really, and they come off much stronger than the silly female roles. (Shout out to Joey Sorge, of Drowsy Chaperone fame!)

I think this is the best thing I've seen Rob Ashford do. Some of the show seems oddly reminiscent of "Promises, Promises," but this is a much better production on many levels.

However, this revival is MUCH too long. The first 20 minutes of the second act needs to be ditched. The first act should end sooner.

I'm tired, so I can't elaborate any more. But we will be going back to see it again! I think it's going to do very well. The audience was crazy into it. I think if it's trimmed (considerably), the critics will be mostly favorable. It's hard to resist Danielle Radcliffe. He's just SO likable!

I recommend this show. It's fun and funny. The movie still rules, as far as I'm concerned, but this version doesn't leave "Coffee Break" out, so that's a point in its favor! (And that number is terrific. I love Ashford's choreography of "Coffee Break"!)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#42HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:37am

The guy who gave the speech was the choreographer, Rob Ashford.

He is the show's director AND choreographer. He was also the director AND choreographer of the 2010 Broadway revival of PROMISES, PROMISES.

Come on, folks -- get with the program. This isn't an SAT exam -- these are simple known facts. Seriously!

HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#43HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:51am

Did Radcliffe do an American accent? And was it any good?

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#44HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:55am

He did an American accent perfectly. HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

muscle23ftl
#45HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 2:07am

The show started between 8.10 and 8.15pm by the way.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#46HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 2:14am

I was wondering the same thing about the american accent. I'm so glad to hear he is good! I knew he would charm the pants off of everyone, but his singing was what I was worried about. So glad to hear it's nice. This is one of my all time favorite shows!

"...my only issue is with the show itself. The score is quite forgettable."

In what way?? "I Believe In You", "Brotherhood of Man", "Coffee Break", "A Secratary Is Not a Toy"....HOW are these forgettable?? It's such a sweet, brilliant score IMO. I love every song.

muscle23ftl
#47HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 2:40am

I guess those songs work for a musical, but are NOT great songs. My favorite is the New Rochelle song, by the way. But still, it doesn't have a great score like Promises, Promises with songs such as Turkey Lurkey Time, Knowing When To Leave, Whoever You Are I Love You. It's not a musical like Rent or Wicked that are filled with terrific songs for singers. It's an easy score to sing, and although those songs you mentioned are ok, they usually go along with the songs I listed from Promises to make a great musical.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#48HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 2:52am

Thanks all for your great reviews -I sure can't wait now!! Come on May trip!!! HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#49HOW TO SUCCEED Begins Previews Tonight!
Posted: 2/27/11 at 3:23am

This is a great score, it's got some wonderful melodies and totally unforgettable lyrics (it DID win the Pulitzer Prize and The Tony after all folks). It is much better music than the music in Wicked and Rent.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699